Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
A

AhmedFaisal

Original poster
-

Last edited by a moderator:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Deer piss? No, it's clydesdale piss. When a company makes such a horrible product and features an animal so prominently in its advertising, it makes you wonder ;)

JonR356

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Sensible decision this really, long established names shouldn't be dropped to satisfy a newer but larger corporation.

I enjoy both beers (to different degrees) to be honest so I wouldn't drag taste into this

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Oh good! Finally! I used to enjoy drinking Budvar, Plzen, etc. and I wasn't thrilled when I moved to the US that Anheuser-Busch would be able to market the lemonade under the same brand. Cheers!

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Oh good! Finally! I used to enjoy drinking Budvar, Plzen, etc. and I wasn't thrilled when I moved to the US that Anheuser-Busch would be able to market the lemonade under the same brand. Cheers!

Sadly, I remember reading an article a while back that said the number one import beer in the U.K. was...Budweiser. Not the Czech version, but the Anheuser-Busch version. There also stats showing how much their sales were going up, while sales of Guinness were down all around the U.K. It was very depressing. All those lovely beers to import from their own back yard, and Budweiser is the number one import? I haven't seen any numbers on the rest of the EU, though.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Sadly, I remember reading an article a while back that said the number one import beer in the U.K. was...Budweiser. Not the Czech version, but the Anheuser-Busch version. There also stats showing how much their sales were going up, while sales of Guinness were down all around the U.K. It was very depressing. All those lovely beers to import from their own back yard, and Budweiser is the number one import? I haven't seen any numbers on the rest of the EU, though.

I... don't understand.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Budweiser is basically a light rice wine with hops as bittering agents which is better served cold than hot unlike like traditional rice wines such as sake. I doubt it even fits into the lager category but it has been sold as beer traditionally for a long time here. I haven't had a Bud in a few years myself nor do I miss it all that much.

I prefer it's cheaper cousin from the same corporation Busch--there is less hangover. When I go for domestics in the wide range of alcoholic beverages of low gravity I have two preferences those two are Yeunling and Henry's otherwise a nice Scmhidts hits the spot on a warm summer evening. For Imports I like having my Guiness with a scoop of Breyers Ice cream in a float, my Fosters alone, my Angostrua with seafood, my Golsh with any kind of Wurst sausage...pairing is damned important.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
If you look at the #1 in all sorts of areas in the UK they are rarely the best. Budweiser, The Sun newspaper, Tesco, Microsoft, Dan Brown novels, ITV1. There's a large section of the British public that are quite prepared to settle for average or worse these days. The national spirit of the past, which forged the industrial revolution and led to the largest empire ever seen, has long dissipated.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Hmm,

maybe this is because a lot of the 'foreign' beers we get are usually brewed here too.

Although, by sheer numbers, our supermarkets seem to carry the likes of Carling, Carlsberg, Stella and Bud in really high quantities.

Another thing is Budweiser's advertising is still up from the World Cup and I think they are trying to get more presence in sports advertising here.

But yeah, the empire we built upon slavery and bullying is long dead...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
But yeah, the empire we built upon slavery and bullying is long dead...
And good riddance to it. However you can't argue that our desire to achieve and excel seems to have taken a severe knock back over the past few decades.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Beer snobs? Really? :p

Really :p

The smaller microbreweries are better than the big ones. I'll take Boulevard or Schlafly (or Spotted Cow when I can get my hands on it, which isn't often enough) over Budweiser or Coors any day, and I'd take toilet water over Natty Light.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Don't even get me started on Natty Light. I went to Notre Dame for my MBA and lived in what was probably the No. 1 Party Complex off campus. You had apartments with Mercedes, Hummer and BMW cars parked out front and what was in the kegs of these cheap bastards? Natty Light. Are you friggin serious?! Not even Bud or Miller Light, or maybe even Coors, but noooo... Natty..... unbelievable. It was no surprise that we had people hang out at our place to the point where we had to kick people out if they weren't willing to contribute to the beer fund because we had Blue Moon in ours.

Mind you, Blue Moon isn't the greatest but it does the job for a Keg Party and is tons better than Natty or any of the big 3 for that matter. For our own drinking desires of the selected few, we always had a second Keg stowed in one of our rooms with Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. It still shocks me to this day that I was able to get a hold of it in the middle of Indiana of all places and even more shocking was able to get it on tab in two bars, one on campus and the other in an Irish Pub in South Bend. To give you some perspective, Weihenstephan is a brewery outside of Munich and you can't even get their beer in quite a number of bars and restaurants in Munich. To find it in this hole in the world that is South Bend was a delightful surprise for me, and made the experience so much more bearable... (if you go to ND, go as an Undergrad, because as a Grad, the girls in the Grad programs are either nerds in a bad way or husband shopping and the Undergrad girls think you are a dirty old man....)
Cheers,

Ahmed
A lot of my friends love Natty Light because it is cheap... I don't get it. But then again I was a Guinness Man myself. Very very few of my friends liked it, which meant more for me!

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
The smaller microbreweries are better than the big ones. I'll take Boulevard or Schlafly (or Spotted Cow when I can get my hands on it, which isn't often enough) over Budweiser or Coors any day, and I'd take toilet water over Natty Light.

I assume you are enjoying a New Glarus Spotted Cow while visiting Wisconsin. It is difficult to find outside their border because they don't distribute out of Wisconsin. I like Spotted Cow but New Glarus also offers some other quite tasty brews as well.

I had my first New Glarus brew when I started doing annual trisp to Road America to see the AMA Superbike races. However, I now live near the Sconi border and it's an easy trip to get it.

I always drink, what I consider good beer IMO, but when micro is not available and I have to drink a macro beer, I usually go for a Grain Belt Primo.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
All beer sucks. That beer has been dressing itself up like wine for the last few decades or so is hysterical. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. IMO, there's no difference between Budweiser and Chimay, except that Chimay manages to be even more disgusting. Don't even get me started on crap like Guinness. And before anyone says anything, I used to work in good restaurants for 20 years, I've had just about every beer you can think of- all of them are nasty. Beer is the only beverage that tastes even worse the more you pay. Hey- I tried it. :p:p:p:p

Beer is easily the worst alcoholic beverage on the face of the planet, right next to grappa.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I assume you are enjoying a New Glarus Spotted Cow while visiting Wisconsin. It is difficult to find outside their border because they don't distribute out of Wisconsin. I like Spotted Cow but New Glarus also offers some other quite tasty brews as well.

I had my first New Glarus brew when I started doing annual trisp to Road America to see the AMA Superbike races. However, I now live near the Sconi border and it's an easy trip to get it.

I always drink, what I consider good beer IMO, but when micro is not available and I have to drink a macro beer, I usually go for a Grain Belt Primo.

Yeah, I tried Spotted Cow when I was in Madison a few years back and loved it. One of my co-workers has family in WI that he goes to visit every now and then and he brought be back a 6 pack last time. I wish they distributed it in MO.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Really :p

Natty light is reserved for high-school parties and frat houses on a budget. ;)

Statik

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2004
We were in Ireland last year and shocked at how much advertising there was for Bud. The story of it being so popular in Ireland was that Budweiser was advertising the heck out of it and trying to paint Guinness as an "old man's beer" and Budweiser as the hip, young, sporty drink.

As for not liking beers? tsk tsk... It just means you haven't tried the right one.

Personally, I wouldn't serve Bud to my worst enemy. Then again, I'm spoiled. My local beer store stocks 800+ brews from around the world. I've had some amazing ones (Alley Kat - Kilt Lifter is a fave from my home town) and some horrible ones (A brew we had while vacationing in Botswana that I'm glad I can't remember the name of)

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
All beer sucks. That beer has been dressing itself up like wine for the last few decades or so is hysterical. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. IMO, there's no difference between Budweiser and Chimay, except that Chimay manages to be even more disgusting. Don't even get me started on crap like Guinness. And before anyone says anything, I used to work in good restaurants for 20 years, I've had just about every beer you can think of- all of them are nasty. Beer is the only beverage that tastes even worse the more you pay. Hey- I tried it. :p:p:p:p

Beer is easily the worst alcoholic beverage on the face of the planet, right next to grappa.

So working in a restaurant makes an opinion like this valid?

Pretty close minded view, imo. Oh, and Guinness isn't beer, as alluded to earlier in the thread,

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.