Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
Has anyone got a sonnett SATA card in a G4, I gurrently have one of these running a 36GIG WD Raptor (10k RPM), and while it's really fast in OSX it takes forever to boot up.(it didn't befor the SATA) I'm wondering if its just me?

My Mac is a Dual 867 with 1.25Gig of ram and 10.3.5

snooziums

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Evergreen State
I have the Sonnettech SATA card in my PowerMac MDD with no drives attached to it, and I have not noticed a change in the boot-up speed.

Probably something with accessing the drives. Go to the System Preferences and select the hared drive from startup items and restart. It may be searching for the startup drive and not knowing it when it boots up.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The boot speed on my dual G4/800 is slow since starting from my ATA/133 drive and SIIG card, but I rarely boot the machine.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
Cool, I might have a fiddle there, I did speak to sonnet about it breifly but they just stopped e-mailing me back. they said somthing about it taking longer to boot off the PCI bus but i cant imagine people with a powerdoman u160 card being pleased with that kind of waiting .I would sleep it instead of shutting down at night but my crappy flashed PC Geforce 3 stopps that. I think i might just put up with it untill i can afford a G5, The raptor should be sweet in a G5.
Thanks. Ben..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.