Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

debbiedynamite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Hi,

I am trying to rip a DVD of my own videos. I don't have the original files anymore, and want to edit it (in imovie - I have a brand new mbp) really I just want to separate the tracks and add subtitles to make karaoke videos of my original music :)

I tried mac the ripper, but I could not open the file it exported in imovie or quicktime (could only watch it) and I tried another one that had a watermark on the free version. Any suggestions would be awesome!!!

(would be extra special if you also happened to know how easy it is to do karaoke titles in imovie..)

THANKS A MILLION!!!!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/861290/:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/861090/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/858666/

Do any of those two help?

Especially:

Copied from my list of already answered questions.

Mroogle will have answered that question for you many and plenty of times.
MRoogle is quite a good tool to search this forums.

There is MacTheRipper, RipIt and Fairmount to rip (copy the DVD to your HDD while removing the copyright protection) the video DVD to your HDD.

Then there is Handbrake to convert the ripped DVD to a file like .mkv, .mp4 and .avi with MPEG-4 codecs like Xvid and H264, which are not meant for editing though, as they don't store every frame of the video (video DVDs use MPEG-2 as a codec, which also only stores every 15th frame and the frames in between are approximations).

After that you can use MPEG-Streamclip to convert the compressed video file to a .mov file encoded with the DV* codec, a codec iMovie can read and is meant for editing, as it stores every frame and takes up approx. 220MB/min.

You can also skip Handbrake and use MPEG-Streamclip for converting directly to a DV encoded .mov file from the ripped video DVD, but you need the QuickTime MPEG-2 component (19USD) to be able to access the MPEG-2 encoded video DVD footage via MPEG-Streamclip.

But it would save one encoding process.

(* Apple Intermediate Codec - AIC - is also possible and can be applied to the following section too)

OR

In order for you to edit your videos stored on the video DVD, you need to rip it via MacTheRipper / RipIt / Fairmount, if the video DVD is copy protected (all commercial video DVDs are).
If it is not copy protected, you might be just able to copy the Video_TS folder onto your HDD.

Now there are two ways to convert the MPEG-2 compressed footage.

1. Get Handbrake and convert the footage to either an .avi file with the Xvid codec (2-pass or Constant Quality of 100% and highest bitrate for video and audio) or an .mp4/.m4v file with the H264 codec (the same as with Xvid).
Then use MPEG Streamclip to convert/export the .avi or .mp4/.m4v file to a QuickTime (.mov - CMD+E) file encoded with the DV codec or to a DV file (CMD+OPTION/ALT+E).
Both, .mov and .dv, can be read by iMovie.

2. Get the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component from the Apple Online Store for 20USD, open MPEG Streamclip, in there go to File > Open DVD and select your Video_TS folder on your HDD.
Then either export it as QuickTime with the DV codec or as DV file as explained in step 1.
This saves you one encoding process, therefore time and image quality loss.

Btw, SD is short for Standard Definition, meaning the broadcast systems PAL and NTSC, which has a pixel resolution of 768/720/640 x 576/480.
HD is short for High Definition, the new fancy high resolutions like 720p or 1080i/p.
A video DVD stores its video in SD.

Have fun.

Screenshots:

MPEG Streamclip export options
streamclip.jpg

Handbrake export as .mp4 - example
handbrake-left.gif

debbiedynamite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
thanks

thanks - trying it all now...

as for the MPEG streamclip - do you recommend the regular or beta?

debbiedynamite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
mpeg streamclip

thanks for all this help!!! a couple questions about exporting with mpeg streamclip...

what compression should I use? (is that what you meant by "encoded with a DV codec?)
also,
do I keep sound uncompressed? (hope to use it)
and do I keep the frame size unscaled?
also interlaced or deinterlace??

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
thanks for all this help!!! a couple questions about exporting with mpeg streamclip...

what compression should I use? (is that what you meant by "encoded with a DV codec?)
also,
do I keep sound uncompressed? (hope to use it)
and do I keep the frame size unscaled?
also interlaced or deinterlace??

Compression is done via codecs. DV or Apple Intermediate Codec should suffice. Sound should stay uncompressed, no scaling and leave it interlaced.

debbiedynamite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
didn't work ..

it took like 2 days for the mpegstreamclip to finish, and the mov is only sound, no video..

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
it took like 2 days for the mpegstreamclip to finish, and the mov is only sound, no video..

What exact Mac do you have, which Mac OS X version does run on it and what MPEG Streamclip version did you use?

Mac OS X version is listed under 2, Mac model is listed under three (Model Identifier).

4707069290_6547e29211_b.jpg

How long is the movie and did you use the actual DVD in the SuperDrive or another Optical Disc Drive within MPEG Streamclip or did you rip the DVD to your HDD first?

Did you get the QT MPEG-2 Playback Component or did you go via Handbrake first?

Can you be please so so kind to offer more detailed information about the steps and settings you have taken? Otherwise we are only guessing, and that does prolong the procedure unnecessarily.

If you want, you can take screenshots of every step and attach those shots to your next post.
Taking screenshots in Mac OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.