Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I find it hard to believe that this is the actual release date. Apple said Tiger would be released in the first half of 2005, and this date is the midway point of this 6 month timeframe, which is probably why Amazon chose it.

This date is on a Thursday, and as I recall, both Jaguar and Panther were released on a Saturday. I believe Apple held release parties on Friday evenings, and after midnight the OS went on sale. I don't see them holding any special events on a Wednesday evening.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Good point...

I agree with the assessment about March 31st being the mid point, but I know Panther was not released on a Saturday and am unsure about Jaguar.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
appleretailguy said:
I agree with the assessment about March 31st being the mid point, but I know Panther was not released on a Saturday and am unsure about Jaguar.

You're right. Panther was released at 8:00pm on Friday, October 24th. Here is the press release from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/oct/08panther.html

I said Saturday because I was in Zurich, Switzerland that weekend, and when I went by an Apple reseller on Friday night they had no copies of Panther out, but when I went by the same store on Saturday morning, Panther boxes lined the windows.

Jaguar was released on Saturday, August 24th. Here is the press release from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/jul/17jaguar.html

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Ha! Some third-party seller going through Amazon claims to have a copy in stock for twelve dollars :D

. . . Oops, gone already! I hope that was pulled by Amazon, and not someone getting taken.

kan

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Tiger Release Date

Hello all i talked to a pal that works at a apple retail store and he says that apple has told the retail stores that Tiger will be out in the first Quarter of 2005!!!!!!!! and today the apple website updated the Tiger Tour so it might be sooner than we think!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.