Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What app/process did you migrate your data with?

• Migration Assistant/Time Machine

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Super Duper!

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Carbon Copy Cloner

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other (please specify!)

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Gr80Likes2Boogi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
NoHo, CA
About to do this process, and there are a MILLION threads about HOW to, but I'd like to know what process you used to transfer data to a new HDD and WHY!

TopHatPlus

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Southern Ontario
time machine/ migration assistant, it works SO well it does 1 transfer you reset your computer and it boots as though that was your hd the whole time =D its quite wonderful, although when i get my new computer all i am taking is my itunes/iphoto library i am trying to keep it clean =D haha it was so easy though recommend it for sure!!!

Gr80Likes2Boogi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
NoHo, CA
Hmmm. I guess I'll go with Time Machine, then! I have a few licenses that will need to transfer over, but I was under the impression that time machine/migration assistant couldn't (or wouldn't) move apps as well. Well, once I get the new HDD, I'll just tinker =) It's all backed up anyway, so I'm safe if I -somehow- goof it up.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Since this is my first MacBook Pro, I couldn't use TimeMachine or anything like that on Windows. So I just put all of my files on an external hard drive, and organized them folder by folder as I copied them to my Mac. Everything went very smoothly.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I didn't; I just reinstalled; my important files are stored on external drives and online backups.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
How: SuperDuper!
Why: I could still use the computer while migrating to a new machine.

I've used Time Machine in the past when it first arrived on scene and it was slow so didn't convince me to switch.

TopHatPlus

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Southern Ontario
How: SuperDuper!
Why: I could still use the computer while migrating to a new machine.

I've used Time Machine in the past when it first arrived on scene and it was slow so didn't convince me to switch.

hmm not sure about the first time machine, but you can use your computer while it is installing, its like a back up but the opposite, but you don't have you stuff on the computer until it all installs and resets >_<

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
Hmmm. I guess I'll go with Time Machine, then! I have a few licenses that will need to transfer over, but I was under the impression that time machine/migration assistant couldn't (or wouldn't) move apps as well. Well, once I get the new HDD, I'll just tinker =) It's all backed up anyway, so I'm safe if I -somehow- goof it up.

I just did this process yesterday - my first time!

I used migration assistant/time machine. I too heard it wouldn't transfer licenses, or large apps. I've got the entire FCP editing suite.

NO issues whatsoever - transferred over just fine. In fact I'm using my FCP right now.

Gr80Likes2Boogi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
NoHo, CA
I'm transferring everything at the moment, using CCC. I guess I can vote in my own poll now!! Unfortunately, the enclosure that the Seagate is in is only a usb2.0, so the clone is taking forreeeevver.... That's fine, I'm going to go to sleep et voila!! In the morning, I'll switch the HDD's and carry on- with 180 extra gigabytes =)

EDIT:

Just woke up, with CCC bouncing in the dock saying it's done. Switched out the HDD's, and had a prolonged, blank gray screen. After maybe 15-20 seconds, Apple logo =)

Capacity: 499.76 GB
Available: 266.04 GB
Used: 233.72 GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.