Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
First, don't thrash me for looking for something other than an apple tv on an apple tv board. I have an apple tv, it gets used daily, and i love it. However, I'm going to be camping in the infield at talladega speedway next month and my friends rv has a tv with only composite inputs. I would love to buy the new apple tv, and probably will anyway but i won't be able to use my old one in the rv. Im looking at being able to put a good number of my movies on an external, plug that into a device to play them on the tv. Ive been looking at the WD HD TV device, and I think it will do what i want it to. They have a mini version but from what i gather it can't play H264 movies and mp4s. All of my movies are encoded using the handbrake apple tv setting, so i don't think it will play them from my limited knowledge of video formats.

I'm just looking for some advice on what the best device would be for what i want it to do, and I don't really want to spend a bunch of money because it might only be used for this trip. If it does streaming from a wireless connection a la apple tv, I might continue to use it, but the device i see with that feature cost considerably more. There is a reconditioned WD HD TV on amazon for 56 bucks. If that device will work for what I am looking for, that might be the best bet.

Anyone have any experience with other digital media devices?
Thanks,
Geoff

nobunaga209

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
TX
The WD TV Live is a GREAT product! Short of a Mac Mini it plays everything you throw at it and handles various audio formats too. I've had one for about a year now and highly recommend it.

Andy0568

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Some Internet rumblings have been saying the Google TV will come out in October...just my $.02

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
my friends rv has a tv with only composite inputs. I would love to buy the new apple tv, and probably will anyway but i won't be able to use my old one in the rv.

You will if you hack it. I have an AppleTV I've been using with my standard def composite video only TV.

Amorya

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
First, don't thrash me for looking for something other than an apple tv on an apple tv board. I have an apple tv, it gets used daily, and i love it. However, I'm going to be camping in the infield at talladega speedway next month and my friends rv has a tv with only composite inputs. I would love to buy the new apple tv, and probably will anyway but i won't be able to use my old one in the rv. Im looking at being able to put a good number of my movies on an external, plug that into a device to play them on the tv. Ive been looking at the WD HD TV device, and I think it will do what i want it to. They have a mini version but from what i gather it can't play H264 movies and mp4s. All of my movies are encoded using the handbrake apple tv setting, so i don't think it will play them from my limited knowledge of video formats.

I'm just looking for some advice on what the best device would be for what i want it to do, and I don't really want to spend a bunch of money because it might only be used for this trip. If it does streaming from a wireless connection a la apple tv, I might continue to use it, but the device i see with that feature cost considerably more. There is a reconditioned WD HD TV on amazon for 56 bucks. If that device will work for what I am looking for, that might be the best bet.

Anyone have any experience with other digital media devices?
Thanks,
Geoff

If you already have a lappy computer you could use your current :apple:TV and your laptop computer. Store what movies won't fit on your :apple:TV on your Laptop and stream them to the :apple:TV. You could also use an external HDD with your laptop if you can't get all of the movies onto your laptop.

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
I ordered a refurb WD TV for $35 from eCost... sounds like that is my best option. Thanks for all the advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.