Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Looks like we have a range of grainy shots to some nicely focused close ups from the pictures we are seeing.

What's with the inconsistency? Even in decent lighting some shots are grainy and even in not so good lighting some shots are pretty good.

Software issues I hope. If not, i'll probably get some camera apps to get instant funky shots on the Touch and use my cybershot dumbphone for proper shots then.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
Good pics. I am not jumping up and down Happy about the camera but its not too bad in good light. I can live with it.

The firetruck picture reminded me of what I still have not seen this camera do. That is to be stationary while objects move in front of it, instead of the photographer moving around the objects. Back to the firetruck, a great sample would be to record traffic on a bright cloudy day.

zippyzoom

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2009
Good pics. I am not jumping up and down Happy about the camera but its not too bad in good light. I can live with it.

The firetruck picture reminded me of what I still have not seen this camera do. That is to be stationary while objects move in front of it, instead of the photographer moving around the objects. Back to the firetruck, a great sample would be to record traffic on a bright cloudy day.

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NgEFl2HNLs

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Honestly, the quality of stills is better than expected. I have numerous cameras from DSLR to a little Sony Cybershot and what I wanted in the iPT4 was exactly what they provided, a quick, on the go cam. It takes better pictures than my cell (Sony Ericsson) and I don't need any cables to upload or email so I'm pretty content.

kelving525

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
NYC
After spending 3 days with the 4G Touch and testing the camera in various conditions; I can say that the camera quality is a toss-up. If you're lucky, you may get a pretty decent shot (see Best Buy shot in pg1). However, in certain circumstances (bad lighting), you really have to hold it still and even then the photo may still be blurry. I have noticed that most of the time the photos came out grainy, but for Facebook photos, I'll say it's passable.

Unedited - Indoor lighting

4978436944_02bd8e5f81_b.jpg

Another test shot-- edited with Photoshop in iPod Touch.

4977351465_3f42b3e731_b.jpg

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Yes, indoor lighting leaves a bit to be desired, but I generally am looking to take pics when I am outside, at bright gathering places with friends, so it serves my needs for quick facebook, flickr photos, etc.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Here are a variety I took from indoors fairly close, outdoors when the sun was setting and during the day. Truthfully, this camera seems to do best outside in the middle of the day. Indoors seems to be hit or miss. The figures on my desk might have actually come out better if I had known about the "tap to focus" feature.

Let me know if anyone wants to seen anything else. Keep in mind, it's night time so I could only do indoor right now...

freeme007

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
Picture quality sucks! But thanks for showing those pics. How about take a in door room shot at night ?

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Here is one in my media room. The only light source for the room is the ceiling fan in the middle so it's not the brightest lighting conditions. BUT, this would be typical of most houses at night I would think.

It essentially boils down to the fact that the camera would work better with a flash - just like ANY camera. I took the same picture of this room with my Kodak 10.1 megapixel camera with flash off and it's grainy as heck also so that's something to keep in mind.

freeme007

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
Thats way too grainy as hell. you've a big room and thanks for the picture! Looks like iPod touch won't be a good tool to spy people who steals at night.

Warbitrary

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2009
Montréal, Canada
The figures on my desk might have actually come out better if I had known about the "tap to focus" feature.
The camera is fixed focus, so "touch to focus" is actually "touch to adjust exposure".

Also, it appears a "picture" on the iPod touch is simply a cropped frame of 720p video (1280x720 cropped to 960x720).

So I think the iPod camera is a video-only camera, similar to last year's 5G nano but in HD. Apple simply wrote the software to capture frames as pics. Compared to the iPhone camera, which shoots pics at much higher resolution than video.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Sorry, made a mistake, didn't realize it was exposure that was getting adjusted.

I think it still helps out a lot in certain lighting conditions. For example, try to use it when taking a picture of a neon sign or a television, instead of a blur of light, you can take a picture of what you're seeing.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Thats way too grainy as hell. you've a big room and thanks for the picture! Looks like iPod touch won't be a good tool to spy people who steals at night.

;) Be perfect for UFO and Bigfoot photos though, they are always out of focus and grainy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.