Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1o2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Hello guys, im back. :):):)

As many pros in here are recommended that the NVIDIA Quadro FX4500 512MB is the best graphic card for G5 2.5 Quad (because im doing a lot of music & video editing. I certainly need the best graphic card possible i can get).

So, I was able to cop this graphic card from ebay for $140 from this guy http://cgi.ebay.com/Hewlett-Packard...618?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item2309fcd7ca a week ago. I just received it today. BRAND NEW.

I've read many threads in here (just want to learn more about apple machine) and one of the post that i've read is https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/966972/ that we were able to flash this graphic card.

What do i need in order to flash this card?

I have no idea how to do it. If someone in here has experienced, please help me out from the start to the end (step by step, because i am a slow person :)).

Thanks

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
You need a PC or Mac Pro (PCIe capable machine that could boot DOS).

Read details here. You can omit eraseeeprom thing and do not bother with part about pins taping (it's for AGP cards only).

For FX4500 flashing use nvflash 5.63. Back up your PC ROM before flash. It's much easier than it looks, even if you're a newbie and not "techhy" person :)

1o2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
do i have to install my graphic card into my pc?

I was trying to install Quadro FX 4500 card into my PC. somehow it didnt fit. Am i doing something wrong?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
yes if you want to flash it you need to put it into the pc first
as only there you can flash it ..apart if you got a MacPro at home then you could also flash the card in there

but as you possibly have read my post on another thread about flashing cards ..if things go wrong you got a nice paperweight you need the right flash for the card and here you find a how to and the download of the right flash

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/nvidia-general-flashing

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
you mean the card is to high or to wide or to long ? then you likely need a bigger pc ..... as i doubt apple will flash pc cards in store
that would be like asking in pcworld if they can sell you a hackintoshed hp pc

if you cant do it yourself then your best bet is to look for someone who can , there had been guys around flashing pc cards for ppc Mac's but ..that was a couple years ago

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
why wont it fit? the cooler on the side touches another card? if thats the case, then remove the other card while doing this.

you sure your current PC has a PCI-E (thats PCI-Express) slot?

1o2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
why wont it fit? the cooler on the side touches another card? if thats the case, then remove the other card while doing this.

you sure your current PC has a PCI-E (thats PCI-Express) slot?

no, the cooler on the side of the card stuck on the back bridge of the PC. where i cant access all the way through.

i match the length of my current card to fx 4500 and it the same length to enter the slot.

its too wide.

Does anybody in here live around Maryland that knows how to do it? Ill Pay.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
mate, iam going to go out on a limb here as ask you if you have opened up the case of the PC? have you ever replaced a graphics card yourself?

if any of the above questions have a NO for answer, then pls forget what you are doing.

1o2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
mate, iam going to go out on a limb here as ask you if you have opened up the case of the PC? have you ever replaced a graphics card yourself?

if any of the above questions have a NO for answer, then pls forget what you are doing.

Yes, i've opened up the case of my PC (many times). Yes, i have replaced video card, audio card as well as memory ram before.

For some reason this card didnt fit in my PC thats it all.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
one thing mate , and no offense , sell the quadra again and buy a
ATI Radeon X800 G5 Mac Edition its available sometimes on ebay US ,just put in ebay
graphics Mac and it will show up among some others sometimes , its just plug and play
without fuss and is not a bad card either and safes you loads of hassle
with your paperweight at the moment

http://www.barefeats.com/radx800.html

i know the quadra is supposed to be better , but as you cant even use it in your pc ,
so a slower working card thats easy to install in the G5 is better then a fast paperweight

and they cost usually around the $300 so a small price to pay for a card you can actually use

1o2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
one thing mate , and no offense , sell the quadra again and buy a
ATI Radeon X800 G5 Mac Edition its available sometimes on ebay US ,just put in ebay
graphics Mac and it will show up among some others sometimes , its just plug and play
without fuss and is not a bad card either and safes you loads of hassle
with your paperweight at the moment

http://www.barefeats.com/radx800.html

i know the quadra is supposed to be better , but as you cant even use it in your pc ,
so a slower working card thats easy to install in the G5 is better then a fast paperweight

and they cost usually around the $300 so a small price to pay for a card you can actually use

everything is cool :). i appreciated yall help.
i will talk to my friends first. to see if they able to help me out with this problem. If not i will sell it then. no hurry. lol.
I just got this card for two days less. but i really do like to see the perform of this card thou.

1o2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
will looking for this ATI Radeon X800 G5 Mac Edition if the fx4500 will not work out for me.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
X800 won't work in Quad. It was AGP card.

OP, maybe one of your friends has PCIe PC in which this Quadro will fit.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
will looking for this ATI Radeon X800 G5 Mac Edition if the fx4500 will not work out for me.
Like 666Sheep said, thats an AGP card for older Powermacs. If you can't get the Quadro to work, look for a Radeon X1900 or a GeForce 7800GT for your G5. Both are also much more powerful cards than the 6600 that came with most of the PCIe Powermacs.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
:eek: ooops forgot bout that PCIe thingy , ok the x1900 it is then , the thing is unlike nvidia ATI had retailed their Mac cards so they are easier to come by
but the X1900 was not trouble free if i remember that right

1o2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Okay, i asked a few friends for help, but most of them r using laptop. so cant get any help out from them.

But i just come up with an idea (just a thought). I able to take off the cooler (fan) on the side of the fx 4500 and it did fitted my pc now. But would it work without the cooler for flashing without any harm for the card?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
never ever run a GPU without the cooling fan
GPU diodes get hotter then a cpu and builders of gaming rigs get rid of the original coolers and fit massive heatsinks , more powerful fans or even liquid cooling to keep the temp of a GPU down its not for looks only , they do that for a reason
i bet i could even run your cpu's far longer without cooling fan if i leave the case open then i can run your graphics card without cooling fan as unlike GPU's CPU have higher tolerances when it comes to heat

and NOOOOO dont take the cpu cooler off to make space for the graphics card

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.