Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
So I'm watching the demo today and the thing that strikes me about full screen apps (I'm expecting a full screen Mail app like the iPad, full screen calendar, full screen Safari etc. etc.) is that you are kind of separated from what else is going on on your Mac (bouncing dock icons, windows in the background etc.).

I realize that Mission ContrLOL is there to allow you to move between apps easily but if I'm in full screen Safari or iPhoto and I get a new email, I don't want to have to multi touch my way over to Mail to see what that email is.

I'm thinking that Apple are developing a Growl-esque notification system, not only for iOS devices but also OS X Lion.

If so, this makes even more sense.

hyperipod

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
I think it has 90% chances to be there. Maybe 95%. And it would be SO useful. But I hope it won't be like it is on the iPhone, I'd prefer something customizable like Growl. But it's Apple so I can't bet on that last thing :(

Mactrillionaire

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
I second the suggestion to buy out Growl. It is my favorite notification system. It should be part of OS X by default.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
I would think whatever new notification system that (i hope) they are working on for iOS would also be implemented in Lion. But, yeah, something Growl-like and very customizable would be great.

BubblesScreenshot.png

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
So I'm watching the demo today and the thing that strikes me about full screen apps (I'm expecting a full screen Mail app like the iPad, full screen calendar, full screen Safari etc. etc.) is that you are kind of separated from what else is going on on your Mac (bouncing dock icons, windows in the background etc.).
Well for me, that's the whole reason why I go fullscreen, to not be distracted by bouncing icons and popup messages.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
AppleInsider has a piece on notifications being in Lion:

Another feature discovered in the bowels of Lion is the foundation of push notifications, something Apple originally created for iOS. While apparently not yet fully functional, a developer reports that "the whole range of callbacks for iOS push notifications have been added to NSApplicationDelegate."

- (void)application: (NSApplication *)application didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken: (NSData *)deviceToken NS_AVAILABLE_MAC(10_7);
- (void)application: (NSApplication *)application didFailToRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithError: (NSError *)error NS_AVAILABLE_MAC(10_7);
- (void)application : (NSApplication *)application didReceiveRemoteNotification: (NSDictionary *)userInfo NS_AVAILABLE_MAC(10_7);

Apple's push notification system allows developers to create services that update the user with notices of new information. The feature is most useful in mobile devices, where constantly polling the network for new emails, news, or other content is a waste of battery life. However, it appears that a consistent push notifications mechanism across both Mac OS X and iOS could be useful in delivering software that works the same on both systems.

Push notifications work by holding an IP connection open, waiting for a message. Essentially, it's like waiting for the phone to ring rather than running to the mailbox every few minutes to see if you've received a reply. Apple's Push Notification Server currently relays messages to iOS users, which can be badge number increments, short messages, or sounds.

Maybe apple are waiting to unveil the new iOS notifications before rolling out the OS X version.

hyperipod

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
If apple does implement this, I think it may look like the current Xcode 4 notification system (looks a lot like Growl's smoke theme)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.