Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
TNO has produced the largest digital panoramic photo in the world. So, what do we mean by large? After all, modern consumer cameras can easily take a picture with 5 million pixels. Well, we are talking about a photo of completely different dimensions. One with 2.5 billion pixels - that's 500 times more pixels. If this photo were printed, it would measure 6.67 m by 2.67 m (300 dpi). The photograph shows Delft and its surroundings in the autumn of 2004. It was taken the top of the Electrical Engineering faculty of Delft University, at a height of about 100 m, by TNO.
More Info
Link to photo
Quite Possibly the coolest thing I've seen on the internet in a long time.

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
that is really amazing. Really shows the potential of digital photography. Now I just need a new camera, 5 mp doesn't really cut it anymore. ;)

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
wow, that's amazing. i can see that guy walking on the sidewalk to the right is wearing a striped sweater.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
iLikeMyiMac said:
Ok I found some pretty neat things:
Van on Sidewalk
Big Propeller
Park Sculpture
Ladies

Post your favorite finds.

if you zoom to the right of the two blue towers, there is a guy loading a forklifter. there you can see how the pic was sloppy pasted together!

still the coolest thing on the web. we could play i can see what you can't see duriong boring work hours. just paste a section in this thread and the others try to find it.........

andi

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
thecow said:
It's not actually one big photo. It's 600 pictures put together in photoshop or something like that.

Here's some interesting things:
Floating torso
the carbus

Yeah, I noticed that - so one pic of a guy has his head cut off :D It might be one camera, and its automating the shot sequence...still pretty damn cool and the web interface is quite slick :D

D

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
The reason why the head is cut off and the car merges with the bus is because there is a 7 sec time span between each picture.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Whether it was really one photo, or a composition of many, I just want to know . . . . How long does it take to open the file on a Mac? Once you get it open, how long does it take to "scroll" left or right 1%? God forbid you should try to apply a filter to the whole thing . . . :D

2.5Gpixels is approx 7.5GB file size as straight RGB values. :eek:

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
Mr_Ed said:
Whether it was really one photo, or a composition of many, I just want to know . . . . How long does it take to open the file on a Mac? Once you get it open, how long does it take to "scroll" left or right 1%? God forbid you should try to apply a filter to the whole thing . . . :D

2.5Gpixels is approx 7.5GB file size as straight RGB values. :eek:
It takes a second to open the file in your browser using macromedia flash player. Don't worry about it.

The only way to get rid of the exposure differences is if you got the world to stop for 1 hour and 12 minutes while you take 600 pictures.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
OMG...the street just turned into quicksand! Where's a vine when you need one?

This is starting to remind me of the Philadelphia Experiment.

Attachments

• nolegs.jpg
    nolegs.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 469
  • cars.jpg
    cars.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 427
  • bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 410

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Man this thing is addicting! :D If you look at some areas, you can see a difference in lighting where they spliced the many pics, but good job nonetheless.

[edit]

Is it me or is the very right edge of the photo(s) stay pixelated?

And some of those cars on the sides really look distored, shape-wise.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
etoiles said:
where is Waldo ?

He's right here, surgically spliced together with another guy on a bike.

Attachments

• twopeeps.jpg
    twopeeps.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 385

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
This automobile appears to be...

VANishing!

Attachments

• vanish.jpg
    vanish.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 266

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
The photo appears to have made a really ugly car...or maybe that's just the car...

Attachments

• fugly.jpg
    fugly.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 311

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Here's the rest of the first guy's body...see! It wasn't missing...only misplaced!

OK I'm done.

Attachments

• body.jpg
    body.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 323

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
You know, I wonder if people didn't know that picture is actually a composite of 600 smaller photos, if they would get freaked out by all these people sinking in the road and having half bodies and such thinking that this was one large picture :rolleyes: :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.