Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Has anyone else experienced joint pain in their wrist? For a couple of months now, I've been experiencing a strange pain in my left wrist (near the ulna or pinky side) that occasinally spikes up when I bend my wrist in a somewhat awkward way, or whenever I push on things with my thumb. After thinking about it, I realized that I almost always hold my iPad in my left hand, and that in that position, the iPad is pressing down on that joint for sometimes long periods of time. Perhaps this is a new type of carpel tunnel that occurs when you're holding an iPad? I wonder if one of those straps that you slide your hand through would help any. Please holler if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
erm do you have any other "hobbies" that may require you to over use your wrist muscles?

Seriously though, the iPad isn't heavy, but if your having trouble, you might help your problems by investing in a good case.

I have found the Apple case to greatly improve the usability of the iPad.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
This is probably fatigue from sitting in a fixed or unergonomic position for too long. Either change the way you use the iPad to something more ergonomic, or take regular breaks from using it and go do something else for 10 minutes or so.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Get the Apple iPad Case. It allows you to hold it better when you lock the cover to the back, forming a triangle.
Otherwise you'll need to find another way to hold it that doesn't hurt you.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Has anyone else experienced joint pain in their wrist? For a couple of months now, I've been experiencing a strange pain in my left wrist (near the ulna or pinky side) that occasinally spikes up when I bend my wrist in a somewhat awkward way, or whenever I push on things with my thumb. After thinking about it, I realized that I almost always hold my iPad in my left hand, and that in that position, the iPad is pressing down on that joint for sometimes long periods of time. Perhaps this is a new type of carpel tunnel that occurs when you're holding an iPad? I wonder if one of those straps that you slide your hand through would help any. Please holler if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks.

Most pain from using a computer is not carpel tunnel syndrome, but repetitive stress injury (RSI). People can develop this while doing anything from playing sports (golf and tennis elbow), to playing video games, or playing the piano.

Do some stretches and exercises to strengthen those muscles and get your full range of movement back. And most of all, take breaks from using your hand muscles in one grip for too long.

This book has example stretches and exercises you can do and it's super cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Carpal-Syndro...0999/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288736599&sr=8-1

henrus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Most pain from using a computer is not carpel tunnel syndrome, but repetitive stress injury (RSI). People can develop this while doing anything from playing sports (golf and tennis elbow), to playing video games, or playing the piano.

Do some stretches and exercises to strengthen those muscles and get your full range of movement back. And most of all, take breaks from using your hand muscles in one grip for too long.

This book has example stretches and exercises you can do and it's super cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Carpal-Syndro...0999/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288736599&sr=8-1

Thanks, Peter.

And in response to one off the other posts, I'm right handed, and it's my left that is hurting. :)

USGIshimura

macrumors member
May 30, 2010
I actually do not use a notebook computer for that reason. The trackpad is in the center but my hands are on the sides.

I understand the reason for the design but it always made my wrist hurt within minutes. With iPad, my wrist never hurts.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
The iPad is heavy compared to the slew of new tablets set to come out, of which i've played w. the Galaxy Tab and the Dell Streak, which are incredibly light compared to the iPad.

Which sucks for my iPad considering I do a lot of reading on it and hate holding the iPad 1-2 hours in...

...it does get heavy.

But usually when I read i'm lying down, reading to go to sleep so I just prop it and angle it to i can read it without holding it..

Davidvk

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
iPad wrist pain

I have the same problem. The iPad is heavy and it is hard to use just balancing it on something. The pain has been there since I got the iPad and is made worse by holding the iPad in my left hand while I type with the right. The pain is in the left hand

EazyWeazy3

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
No pain here.

Though I do agree with everything being posted in here.

Heavy. Awkward to type on at times. Neck hurts when laying on bed. Etc.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
No pain here.

Though I do agree with everything being posted in here.

Heavy. Awkward to type on at times. Neck hurts when laying on bed. Etc.

It's not a lightweight paperback indeed, but I've never found it cumbersome. You just need to change position on a regular basis, but you do that in your sleep, when you're sitting behind a desk, in a car etc. etc. so why not when holding an iPad?
And when reading in bed, regardless of a book or an iPad, I always get a hurting neck, but again that has nothing to do with the iPad, I'm just not laying in the best position for my neck.
But I do love reading on the iPad in bed at night!

What i'm wondering is if all those superb lightweight new slates (that might be coming, or not) are as strong as the iPad. I really like the aluminum back for the strength & rigidity it gives the tablet.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
If there was an option to get the keyboard to appear on the top of the iPad, rather than the bottom -- it would be much easier for me. Especially laying in bed. I could extend my hands a bit and not haven them get crunched up. Pipe dream I suppose.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

Some "life forms" are simply not viable and will not survive.:(

Darwin proved this.

You should not have kids!:eek:

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
I agree with the suggestion to get the Apple case or some other kind of case in the same style. It makes the iPad much easier to use.

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
Yes, I use the iPad a lot for reading and if in bed, I may lie on my side and hold the iPad one handed. For some reason, my right wrist can get sore but I have a little arthritis, anyway. Considering that I get wrist joint pain from other activities in the evenings, I'm not too surprised.

The iPad isn't causing my wrist pain, aging is. :)

magnumpeon

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2011
Ipaditis

I've definitely experienced left wrist pain, pinky side, from using my Ipad. Must be some kind of repetitive stress injury.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
The iPad, and all the other tablets simply aren't designed to be easy to hold and use. Look at any sci-fi show where a tablet was a prop and you never see them holding/tapping on them. The tablet is either set on a desk/table, or simply looked at when being held. You might see them talking to it.

If any company really wanted to address that issue we'd see handles in the center/back of them that would also serve as kickstands.

The best thing you can do is mix up holds. Switch hands occasionally. Move from holding it by the edge to palm underneath and back. Set it on a pillow or arm of the sofa, etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.