Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
I just got a previous generation AppleTV with 160GB drive. I've synched with music in iTunes and with photos. ow I want to take some dvd's and add those to the AppleTV. What software is needed and what steps are required. BTW I'm ripping some movies right now using MacTheRipper. But do not know how to get them into iTunes. Thanks. Sorry for the "nnob" question.

sidgriffey

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Really good MactheRipper experts can jump in here, but the way I understand it is you would rip the DVD and convert it in Handbreak to MP4 (Apple TV) compatible codec and then have dump in automatically or manually move it into your itunes media folder.

I think you can also do this in one step with Handbrake (i.e., the rip and conversion to AppleTV mp4 codec).

Anyone with a more specific answer to this?

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
I think you can also do this in one step with Handbrake (i.e., the rip and conversion to AppleTV mp4 codec).

Anyone with a more specific answer to this?

Handbrake does not automatically put the files into iTunes: you have to do that manually. You can use Handbrake in one step if you have the 64 bit version of VLC installed. On the down side, you probably somewhat decrease the life of your Mac's DVD player, as it is a slower process than just ripping the disk.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Just use handbrake to convert to apple tv preset. Should have a m4v extension. Then go into iTunes and select add to library. It will put a copy in iTunes so you can delete the original. I move it to iTunes/movies, then go to add to library so iTunes recognizes it on your apple tv.

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
Handbrake does not automatically put the files into iTunes: you have to do that manually. You can use Handbrake in one step if you have the 64 bit version of VLC installed. On the down side, you probably somewhat decrease the life of your Mac's DVD player, as it is a slower process than just ripping the disk.

Thanks to everyone. Mike - I plan to play the movies on my AppleTV and not the computer.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I've started redoing some of my DVDs using Handbrake and I've had the best success using the following settings:

(Get the latest nightly build from handbrake.fr)

I selected the High Profile to create my own preset called HP-DVD

- in the video tab: select 29.97 in the Framerate dropdown and check the Peak Framerate box
- for Constent Quality, slide to RF:19

Execellent viewing on all iOS4 devices, especially on my Pioneer 50" plasma via ATV-2

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
So Handbrake is at 100% - has been there for an hour. Does it ever really finish? I tried quitting but it gave me an error message that if I quit, the file would be started over in the que, or something like that. How do you get it to finish and stop using 100% of the processor.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
So Handbrake is at 100% - has been there for an hour. Does it ever really finish? I tried quitting but it gave me an error message that if I quit, the file would be started over in the que, or something like that. How do you get it to finish and stop using 100% of the processor.

You let it finish....depending on which of your computers you are doing this on, the length of time necessary to complete an encoding with Handbrake will vary.

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
after running all night, I decided enough is enough. Quit HB. File seemed ok, even though there was the error message. Maybe just a strange glitch for a first time run. Anyway, lots more to do today. Thanks again to all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.