Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
I've installed 10.6.5 on a test Mac to test out Airprint and it works fine. I've installed iTunes 10.1 on Windows and the printer does show up on my iPad, but it has a lock next to it and asks me for a password every time I print. Seems like it's looking for a local admin password.

I'm not especially proficient in Windows... how do I set the printer to print without requiring a password? I've tried allowing guests to print, giving the everyone group full access, but it still asks me for a password.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Did you try sharing the printer? Right click > Share. You might need to reboot all devices after doing so.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Yes, the printer is being shared. Otherwise it would not show up on the iPad.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Yes, the printer is being shared. Otherwise it would not show up on the iPad.

you are right. but maybe their are preferences in sharing that require a password. i don't know windows anymore that well either but on mac sharing you can make it so you need a password.

jwilson25

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
you are right. but maybe their are preferences in sharing that require a password. i don't know windows anymore that well either but on mac sharing you can make it so you need a password.

What version of Windows are you using? I know in Windows 7, the default for sharing is to require a username/password, but you can turn that off.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
I've looked, I don't see anything. I've set the Everyone group to have full access, but it still asks for a username/password.

Using XP SP3.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I've looked, I don't see anything. I've set the Everyone group to have full access, but it still asks for a username/password.

Using XP SP3.

Did a google search for you and got this: "The problem is that Windows XP will not allow access to the printer without a legitimate user account and password. If you are trying to connect to a shared folder over the network, you will get a dialog box which allows you to enter this information, but this will not work for printing".

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I remember this being an issue with sharing a printer with something else before now.

Enable the guest account on the Windows box. Reboot and then I think you're clear. I'm pretty sure that was the way around my issue.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
I was googling for a solution and this thread was the third choice. :/

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
I have a printer shared out on my vista machine and itunes 10.1 open with airprint checked. My ipad can not see the printer. is there any thing else i need to do in itunes to show this printer?

ffcphone

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I can confirm if you enable the Guest user account on Windows 7 the padlock symbol next to the attached printer vanishes from your iDevice when selecting the printer and username and password are not required.

F

Arnieaz

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
Tucson, AZ
I can confirm if you enable the Guest user account on Windows 7 the padlock symbol next to the attached printer vanishes from your iDevice when selecting the printer and username and password are not required.

F

Yes, I just turned on Guest on my wife's windows 7 machine.
It printed on either printer:

A Brother 2070N and a Canon MP 970.

Now if Apple would get off the pot and get out 10.6.5 for my iMac and MacBook!

Thatboyjose

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
I have a printer shared out on my vista machine and itunes 10.1 open with airprint checked. My ipad can not see the printer. is there any thing else i need to do in itunes to show this printer?

Make sure both, the system and iOS device are within the same IP range and subnet. One can not be connected to one router while the second is on a wireless router on another room.

I hope that helps.

covroot

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
XP network settings

If you are having trouble printing to XP, check the Properties of the Wireless Connection. Make sure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is checked. It should be set to Service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.