Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavmil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
Hi All

Before I lob my MacBook out in to the street I'm hoping someone can save him!

I'm attempting to burn an .avi file to DVD using iDVD. I've tried every tip on the web including, reducing the encoding quality & reducing the burn speed and de-install and re-install iDVD, but still manage to get the same message 'Encoding Video - There was an error during movie encoding' after having waited an hour for it to encode.

I'm using iDVD '08 Vir.7.0.1 on a MacBook (10.5.8) with over 20GB of free space and 1GB of memory.The .avi file is 500mb in size.

I've tried saving as a Video_TS folder rather than directly to a DVD, but still get the same error.

Can anyone help? I've been playing about with this for two weeks and loosing it now ;-)

Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
What about using MPEG Streamclip to transcode the .avi file (most probably using Divx or Xvid as codec) to a .mov file using the Apple Intermediate Codec for video and Uncompressed for audio and using that resulting file in iDVD?

Btw, how long is the video? With 500MB it shouldn't be longer than 50 minutes.

gavmil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
What about using MPEG Streamclip to transcode the .avi file (most probably using Divx or Xvid as codec) to a .mov file using the Apple Intermediate Codec for video and Uncompressed for audio and using that resulting file in iDVD?

Btw, how long is the video? With 500MB it shouldn't be longer than 50 minutes.

Thanks Spinnerlys.

New to this and trying to understand the processes. So, I've downloaded and installed MPEG Streamclip and understand the 'Apple Intermediate Codec for video and Uncompressed for audio', but I'm not sure what you mean by your statement '(most probably using Divx or Xvid as codec)'?

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
The following may help from this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/750330/

Advanced -> Encode in Background (so that it becomes UNCHECKED).

Advanced -> Delete Encoded Assets (forget the warnings that come with it - just delete them!).

I then clicked burn and no more errors! Takes a little longer to process as it is no longer encoding in the background; but at least it actually works (for me anyway)!

I'd also changed the following settings based on other tips I found on the Internet:
* Disable screen saver
* Changed video format in iDVD to PAL (as I'm in Aus)
* Disabled automatic chapter menus in iDVD
* Had no other applications (not even iMovie) running while burning

I've often had errors from iDVD, but not had the chance to try the above yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.