Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Just came down on Cydia,its called "5-Row Keyboard iOS4".With this keyboard it has an extra row,so an additional key is not needed to get to the numbers.

photo-1.png

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Too bad no one seems to be able to make one without using Winterboard, though. It's a great idea, but I don't really want to install Winterboard just for this.

milamber

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Too bad no one seems to be able to make one without using Winterboard, though. It's a great idea, but I don't really want to install Winterboard just for this.
I totally agree. I'm looking for a keyboard replacement too but I also really don't want to install winterboard!

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I was thinking about grabbing this keyboard, but the one thing that put me off was the description says the auto-caps feature doesn't work with it (or any keyboard theme)? I took that to mean you'd have to capitalize every first word in a sentence if you're using this keyboard. Can anyone that's got it confirm whether that's the case?

If not, then I'll definitely give it a try.

the diego

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2010
It might be due to the E=MC2 theme, but it isn't working for me.

i4, 4.0.1, jailbreakme

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Some people had bad experiences with Winterboard slowing their previous generation iPhones down and burning through their battery. I, however, haven't ever had those problems on my 3GS going back to 3.1.2.

Winterboard is just fine now (as I said, I never saw those problems anyway). It works great. The only recommendation I would have for improving it...I'd have it have sections. i.e. one section for lockscreen themes, one section for springboard themes, another for sliders and status bar icons, etc. Once you get a LOT of stuff in there, it just becomes one huge list and sometimes it's hard to remember what is what.

onefish2

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Nanuet, NY
I was thinking about grabbing this keyboard, but the one thing that put me off was the description says the auto-caps feature doesn't work with it (or any keyboard theme)? I took that to mean you'd have to capitalize every first word in a sentence if you're using this keyboard. Can anyone that's got it confirm whether that's the case?

If not, then I'll definitely give it a try.

Yes. This is true. I purchased this the other day and enabled it. Start typing a sentence then double tap the space key to get a period to end the sentence and the first letter of the new word in the new sentence is NOT capitalized. This is very disappointing. Luckily this tweak was .99 cents.

ALL JB apps and tweaks need to come with a trial period.

The descriptions in Cydia also need to be a bit better.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010

What's the difference? Just install it and leave it alone.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
One time I accidentally downloaded a ringtone that had Winterboard coupled to it, and instantly following I noticed a battery drain issue with my i4. I didn't even use it! It was just on my phone, but still drained. So I am another user that seconds the anti-Winterboard movement.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
One time I accidentally downloaded a ringtone that had Winterboard coupled to it, and instantly following I noticed a battery drain issue with my i4. I didn't even use it! It was just on my phone, but still drained. So I am another user that seconds the anti-Winterboard movement.

Do you actually have proof that winterboard had anything to do with it? I'm betting it didn't.

CrzyIcE

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2010
5 row keyboard looks pretty good!

on another note, how do you know if a download in cydia will require winterboard?
do they tell you?
for example, I might be interested in purchasing HapticPro. Will this require winterboard as well?

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Usually in the description it'll say something like "for use with Winterboard". And I've got HapticPro and I'm fairly certain it doesn't require Winterboard to be used.

If you get HapticPro, and you have SBSettings, I recommend getting the toggle for it too. It makes it really easy to turn off and on if you need to.

milamber

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
5 row keyboard looks pretty good!

on another note, how do you know if a download in cydia will require winterboard?
do they tell you?
for example, I might be interested in purchasing HapticPro. Will this require winterboard as well?

Usually in the description it'll say something like "for use with Winterboard". And I've got HapticPro and I'm fairly certain it doesn't require Winterboard to be used.

If you get HapticPro, and you have SBSettings, I recommend getting the toggle for it too. It makes it really easy to turn off and on if you need to.

I've got haptic pro and it definitely doesn't have winterboard installed.

Get haptic pro! It's awesome.

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
No auto-capitalization of the first word of a new sentence essentially creates as much additional 'work' as the new 5-row keyboard would be saving. Damn shame, too. I'd be all over it if it worked like the stock keyboard.

jluce50

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
I just installed this and it's not working at all. It's enabled in Winterboard and I tried it with Summerboard enabled and disabled. What gives?

allisfair

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
it works great here. no auto cap but that's fine as i type mostly sms's and url's which generally don't need cap letters. i type numbers more than cap letters.

plus i've been using winterboard for themes and other tweaks and had no issues with it. and there is no customization like in ikeyex. it's wysiwyg.

onefish2

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Nanuet, NY
I just installed this and it's not working at all. It's enabled in Winterboard and I tried it with Summerboard enabled and disabled. What gives?

Re-read the directions. After enabling the winterboard theme you have to go into the Keybaord settings in Settings and enable the new 5-row keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.