Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Just for some clarification around expectations for the App
This is from the iTunes description by the developers

Description
Instantly translate printed words from one language to another with your built-in video camera, in real time! Use Word Lens on vacation, business travel, and just for fun.

Language pairs currently available with in-app purchase:
- Spanish to English (Launch Sale: 50% Off - expires Dec 31)
- English to Spanish (Launch Sale: 50% Off - expires Dec 31)

Try out the included modes first so you can see the technology in action:
- Reverse Words (spell all words backwards)
- Erase Words (advanced digital white-out technology)

Word Lens gives you translation on the go:
- NO NETWORK required - results appear immediately on your video screen when you need it, anywhere in the world.
- Easy to use, like the regular camera
- Look up translations by typing them in, too

Get the best quality out of your translations:
- best used on clearly printed text (e.g. signs, menus)
- does NOT recognize handwriting or stylized fonts
- it's not perfect, but you can get the general meaning!
- keep text in focus by holding it at least one hand-length away

Device requirements:
- iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, or iPod Touch with video camera
- iOS 4.0 or later
*** iPhone 3gs and iPod Touch do not have zoom or flash light features
*** iPod Touch camera does not have auto-focus feature

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I don't even have a device that can use this app, but question...isn't that simply a time issue? As in, give it more time to process?

Don't know, it flips back and forth really quickly. My hand is pretty still too (obviously going to get some vibrations holding the phone). They need to put more time and effort into it. Essentially I'm saying it has potential but don't expect that potential right now. Buying now means you have to trust the developers to continue to improve it in a timely fashion. Thankfully, they have a free version you can mess around with to at least test the OCR functionality. Until they get the OCR straightened out I won't personally buy any of the language modules regardless of how well they translate. But thats me. Still, something to keep your eye on (hence why I downloaded it).

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
i downloaded and bought. No, it isn't perfect, but nothing ever is when it is first implemented. I think it is awesome and has great potential, both personally and for businesses. In fact, our tech guys are looking at it right now.

Edison: Look at my light bulb

critic: Who needs that, we have candles

edison: But it lasts longer

critic: It is too dim and it isn't portable

edison: But look at all the things we can do with it

critic: It will never work, it is crap

we had the phonograph before we had the ipod
we had the telegraph before we had the iphone

it has to start somewhere, and this is an amazing start imo
i prefer to look at what it is instead of what it isn't yet

this!

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If this uses data then that sucks. Traveling with my iPhone last spring in Europe was very expensive not to mention I used a different sim provider

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If this uses data then that sucks. Traveling with my iPhone last spring in Europe was very expensive not to mention I used a different sim provider

This does NOT use data

It is stated in the front page article and in the description of the App on iTunes

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Wow--this is amazing! I will definitely have to pick this up at some point.

Oh, wait...no iPhone 2G support. I guess not, then.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here's what it does to our local paper.
24d98da3.jpg

3a96e911.jpg

8901991e.jpg

This is a really cool app even though it is a demo. Would have really lOved the Spanish>English translation back when I lived in Socal. Realtime voice translations will be cool.

zman2100

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Florida
After all the b*tchng yesterday about how the article about games releases was an "ad" for Aralon and those other games, it's interesting to see that when another app is featured with a video, description, and pricing details that there isn't a single complaint or claim that the author was paid by the dev.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
They even wrote the signs in Spanish incorrectly so that the English translation could be readable.

Sorry if someone else already pointed this out, but the original text is in English. The app is translating English>Spanish, so that's why the Spanish is "incorrect". They did not try to reverse-engineer some bad Spanish.

maxp1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
Well that's an interesting application. I'm heading out to a spanish speaking country tomorrow and my travel spanish is workable but not great. Sometimes I need a bit of help with common words that I know but I can't dredge up the meaning of right away. So I downloaded the application and bought the spanish/english pack.

First impression, this is crap. The words jump around, change constantly and frequently are wrong/not in context. There's so much movement that it's hard to tell what's going on.

Second impression, it might be useful crap, at least for me. Even with the moving, changing words I can recognize the right ones. It might take a minute but it might give me solid clues to text that I'm having a hard time deciphering. It's probably easier/faster to use than a dictionary.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I didn't buy the translation pack since I don't need Spanish, but the free app comes with a "reverse words" demo that actually does much better than I'd expect at recognizing words. I aimed it at a picture of a stop sign on a piece of paper I had lying around, and it correctly turned it into a "POTS" sign. :)

Original:

originali.png

Reversed:

reversed.png

staveb

macrumors member
May 13, 2009
It's awful at translating! DO NOT BUY!!!

Don't know how they got it to translate at all...it's a pile of crap!

I've tried translating a lot of simple stuff. For example it translated a stop sign "alto" to "higher." I hope this company will be liable for these awful translations, I want my money back. This could be really dangerous and cause a lot of problems for tourists.

Here's a snap shot of my phone translating their demo (shown at the beginning of this post). It's dreadful, don't waste your money!

photo.PNG

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Don't know how they got it to translate at all...it's a pile of crap!

I've tried translating a lot of simple stuff. For example it translated a stop sign "alto" to "higher." I hope this company will be liable for these awful translations, I want my money back. This could be really dangerous and cause a lot of problems for tourists.

Here's a snap shot of my phone translating their demo (shown at the beginning of this post). It's dreadful, don't waste your money!

View attachment 264354

The Spanish translation was pretty bad. Someone speaking Spanish would get what you are trying to say but not calling French Fries Pappas Fritas might make some laugh at you.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Who needs a camera on an iPad ? :rolleyes: :p

I cringe every time I hear people say the next iPad will only have a front camera for FaceTime but not the back because it doesn't make sense. It makes TONS of sense for MANY MANY things. But more than that, FaceTime IS BOTH CAMERAS!!! One of the MAIN features of FaceTime is that you can flip the camera around and show people things! This is part of the user experience of FaceTime and Apple will not cripple that! If it has FaceTime it will have BOTH cameras PERIOD! :rolleyes:

This translation app is simply amazing. Yes the contextual translation can get better but wow people, look at what we can do now a days! It is simply amazing!

Last edited:

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Here comes some venture capital

I'm blown away with this app. The unimpressed people are really annoying. I'm just using the demo that reverses the letters right now, but that's the hardest part. This, coupled with Google Translate is crazy. That it can recognize letters, erase them from what you're looking at, then put the translations on is the hard part.

I'm looking forward to the time that you can point it at something, it searches a list of dictionaries until it finds a word translation that makes sense, and then translates everything without you having to pick the language.

Really REALLY well done. I hope someone (Apple or Google maybe) buys them out and they all get rich. This app (or at least technology) is going somewhere big.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Really REALLY well done. I hope someone (Apple or Google maybe) buys them out and they all get rich. This app (or at least technology) is going somewhere big.
I hope so too. It's so powerful that it has the possibility of making us even lazier (not learning a langauge).

This is to language that the calculator was to the arithmetic. It really is that powerful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.