Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
As someone who travels, there are many times when a simple word-by-word translation of something is incredibly valuable. Hell, as a vegetarian, just knowing (or having a pretty good guess) as to whether a menu item somewhere lists 'seaweed' or 'sea urchin' is worth the price of admission.

Based on the demo, I think you're more likely to get seaweed substituted for sea urchin. In fact, that's why a translation dictionary is useful ... you'll get multiple translations which will allow you to reconstruct the original meaning of the word. I don't see how this can be implemented with this type of software, therefore, I think it's really limited in scope.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
Slight correction: the ability to do this sort of video manipulation appeared in iOS 4.0. 3.1 introduced an official means to put other live content on top of video but no real means to inspect the incoming image. RedLaser found an undocumented way to take device screenshots and inspect the video feed that way, which Apple subsequently allowed for the entire community but if you drew anything on the video feed then — as a program — you could no longer see what was underneath what you'd drawn. RedLaser doesn't draw anything on top of its video feed, so not a problem.

iOS 4.0 and upwards allow full video feed inspection, independently of whatever you're doing on screen.

Cydonia

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Isle of Man
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Now Bluetooth this to my HUD sunglasses and we should have flying cars in 5 years.

Rothgarr

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
Having tried the demo I can say with confidence that the video is totally fake. It's a neat idea, yes, but the execution is extremely poor.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
This is essentially a gimmick without the functionality to back it up, at the moment. I'm not saying it will fail, just that it is a tad half baked (they need to work on the OCR a bit too, it sometimes just ignores printed words then a second later ignores another set of words but translates the previously ignored word). There are lots of things they could do to improve it, such as in the pause screen mode be able to click on a word and get more info on that word. They'll have to do something clever reformatting for languages that write up to down etc... as well if they want to keep with their AR gimmick.

sunhou

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Add Chinese and I'd pay almost anything

Then look at http://www.pleco.com -- I'm not associated with them, other than being a VERY happy customer. They license various English<-->Chinese dictionaries; I started using their software about 8 years ago on an old Palm Pilot. Now they've got an iPhone/iPod Touch version which is great (and maybe an iPad version, though I don't have an iPad so I'm not sure).

They recently added real-time OCR which works on the iPhone (not sure if it works on 4th-gen iPod touch). See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7VTo0656Rc for their amazing demo.

Pleco's great. Their licensed dictionaries aren't cheap, but once you buy their stuff, you can generally upgrade for free (I even upgraded from Palm over to iPod for free).

Tummy

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
There are lots of things they could do to improve it, such as in the pause screen mode be able to click on a word and get more info on that word.

It does that already. When you pause it, it highlights the word and you can touch it to get more possible translations.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
This app sucks. All I see are letters flashing around randomly, too quick to read. I tried the simplest demo I could - holding it up to the side of my iPad box. Helvetica font on a plain white background.

It sometimes will briefly flash "DAPI" or "QAPI", but usually just does nothing or causes random letters to flicker inside the bar of the lowercase "i".

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I downloaded and bought. No, it isn't perfect, but nothing ever is when it is first implemented. I think it is awesome and has great potential, both personally and for businesses. In fact, our tech guys are looking at it right now.

Edison: Look at my light bulb

Critic: Who needs that, we have candles

Edison: But it lasts longer

Critic: It is too dim and it isn't portable

Edison: But look at all the things we can do with it

Critic: It will never work, it is crap

We had the phonograph before we had the iPod
We had the telegraph before we had the iPhone

It has to start somewhere, and this is an amazing start IMO
I prefer to look at what it IS instead of what it ISN'T yet

mgoldberg

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
new tranlator app

how does one plug or use a camera on the ipod touch? I have the last version
but it never occurred to me to plug in a camera since there's no USB port on the touch?!?

kenmarable

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Definitely a cool looking first version. Now they just need some major player to buy them up and make the translation more context sensitive or at least grammatical rather than word by word.

Or at least have it to do a more complex translation when net-connected, and simple word by word when offline. that would probably be the best balance.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
I downloaded and bought. No, it isn't perfect, but nothing ever is when it is first implemented. I think it is awesome and has great potential, both personally and for businesses. In fact, our tech guys are looking at it right now.

Edison: Look at my light bulb

Critic: Who needs that, we have candles

Edison: But it lasts longer

Critic: It is too dim and it isn't portable

Edison: But look at all the things we can do with it

Critic: It will never work, it is crap

We had the phonograph before we had the iPod
We had the telegraph before we had the iPhone

It has to start somewhere, and this is an amazing start IMO
I prefer to look at what it IS instead of what it ISN'T yet

Well put. I'm pretty sure that with all the press, this app will get as good as any other current computer translation. I tried only the demo so far but $5 isn't much for this type of app. I'm going to give this a try when I go down the spanish grocery isle and put it to use. I'd like to see more from the people who bought the spanish to english version. Give us some text from a translation... thanks.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
This app sucks. All I see are letters flashing around randomly, too quick to read. I tried the simplest demo I could - holding it up to the side of my iPad box. Helvetica font on a plain white background.

It sometimes will briefly flash "DAPI" or "QAPI", but usually just does nothing or causes random letters to flicker inside the bar of the lowercase "i".

Same here. I love the idea but the results are unusable at the moment. :(

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Nice concept but still burdened by the same problem as all the other online translation apps: people are most likely to want to use this when there abroad, but the last thing I want to do when overseas is use the data connection with my iPhone because of the horrendous data roaming rates.

Sure, if you're desperate you can temporarily turn data roaming on, but while you're waiting for your message to get translated, all your other web-apps start busily syncing in the background and those roaming charges start growing...

From the front page article

The translation is also done on-app, so no network connection is required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.