Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Hi,

John Gruber noted on Daring Fireball (he saw it elsewhere) that the slow download times on Apple TV seem to be for people using Google's DNS.

I've not changed my Apple TV settings, but how do I know if I'm using Google's DNS?

Thanks,

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
You would know because you would've set it up yourself.

I use Google DNS and Apple TV works flawlessly with it.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
You wouldn't have adjusted it in your AppleTV, it's done through your router software.

If you have not changed anything, it's 99.9999% likely you are not using Google's DNS, but the one that is standard for your ISP.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
OK thanks.
Just checked in System Preferences on my Mac and it's my ISP's DNS, not Google's...

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
Would this effect other downloads? I added Google DNS as a secondary source to my AirPort Extreme. I did this when Comcast (my ISP) has DNS issues some weeks ago. Comcast is still my primary DNS. I just sometime notice when streaming YouTube on my iPad or Mac that it can lag.

Just curious... :confused:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Would this effect other downloads? I added Google DNS as a secondary source to my AirPort Extreme. I did this when Comcast (my ISP) has DNS issues some weeks ago. Comcast is still my primary DNS. I just sometime notice when streaming YouTube on my iPad or Mac that it can lag.

Just curious... :confused:

Possibly.

However, I have noticed that there are some videos on YouTube that are just served/streamed very slowly.

Serving millions of videos to millions of users has to be a helluva task and sometimes you may be touching a server internal to YouTube [aka Google] that is - for whatever reason - slow.

After having said this, I'm on Comcast as well and the issue of lagging YouTube playback has become much more noticable & much more frequent over the last month or so. Could be some internal routing issues with L3, Comcast has had some peering issues with L3 as of late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.