Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
I'm considering giving a friend my old 3GS. However, Googling shows that AT&T generally likes to get people onto contracts even when people bring in owned iPhones.

Given that, I do see old posts out there which indicate that some people have had success in getting onto month-to-month plans. Has anyone here been successful in doing this?

TIA...

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Att should only force you on contract when you purchase a subsidized phone. If you bring your own in, it should be month by month I think

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Att should only force you on contract when you purchase a subsidized phone. If you bring your own in, it should be month by month I think

Oh I agree - it *should*.

But many posts I've seen indicate that AT&T - honestly or not - will somehow get people onto a contract.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
yes they will illegitimately put you into a 2 yr contract even with your own phone. happened to me. all you have to do is specify that won't be put into the contract.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Good, thanks.

But there are still lots of data points which indicate that people are being forced into contracts.... interesting.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Good, thanks.

But there are still lots of data points which indicate that people are being forced into contracts.... interesting.

it's not forced so much as default. when you go to the store to add an extra line to you account they default to a 2yr contract on that line instead of month to month. i guess it's a way to trap suckers with contracts they don't deserve; times like these i am glad we have lawyers.

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
I did this with 2 iphone 3Gs'. You have to specify that you want a 0 month contract. They asked me why and I said I want to wait for the next version of the iphone to come out before I signed a contract. I was also waiting to see if the phone would come out for verizon before getting locked in to AT&T.

bikedogrun

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Central Oregon
Yes if you're not careful AT&T reps might hose you.
Make sure and verify or get it written that you are not under contract if you bring in your own phone and get no subsidy.
Yes. You can DEFINITELY bring your own iPhone to AT&T and start a month-to-month contract.

I have done this twice in the last 6 months or so and it is not a problem whether you do it in a corporate AT&T store (wouldn't try it @ a mall kiosk) or over the phone. Your paperwork from AT&T will clearly state that your contract end date is today (i.e. the day you begin the new contract).

/BD :cool:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Thanks for the input...

I won't actually be the one talking to AT&T, it will be the person I'm considering giving the phone to. I'll stress to him to insist on a no contract plan and to get that in writing. I've noticed on some other (non-MacRumors) posts that the affiliate stores seem to be the worst offenders in this regard so I'll tell him to go to a corporate store if this goes through.

Of course, if Verizon announces the iPhone will be on their network then I'll tell him to get one of those instead - he needs minimal dropped calls as this phone will be both personal and business use. If there's no announcement within a week of CES ending we'll try AT&T and see how he does with dropped calls where he is.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
No, I'm on a contract with AT&T and have received nothing but great speed, connectivity, and service over the last five years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.