Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

151904-verizon_event_announcement.jpg

The Loop reports that Verizon has just issued invitations for a media event set to be held in New York City next Tuesday, January 11th. The topic of the event is unknown, but speculation of course centers around a possible introduction of the iPhone on the carrier, although most observers have been expecting that such an introduction would be made at an Apple media event given the company's penchant for secrecy.
Verizon Wireless on Friday sent an invitation to select press to attend a special event on January 11, 2011.

The Verizon event will be held in New York and while it doesn't mention anything about Apple this could be the Verizon iPhone. Typically, Apple's special events are held on the company's campus in Cupertino, Calif.
The January 11th date for the Verizon media event matches a report from yesterday about a Verizon iPhone introduction, although that report indicated that it would be an Apple event.

A separate report today claims that evidence is pointing to a February 3rd launch date for a major new Apple product, presumed to be the Verizon iPhone. Given Apple's history of product releases, an official introduction would be expected in the very near future in order to meet that launch date.

Article Link: Verizon Media Event Scheduled for January 11th: iPhone Announcement?

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
oh man its getting real real real now. You'd think any more important verizon info would have been let out this week. The 11th is a tuesday, I smell a surprise appearance of El Jobso. :D

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

...I am a happy ATT customer but this is still exciting!

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
not an apple event? hmmm… maybe, but a break from standard operating procedure.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
This could be just for the iPad2 and CDMA but i'm truly hoping that the iPhone comes out. I really want one :D

But, what do I know :p

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
This is really pointing to a CDMA or LTE-based iPad. They already sell one with a MiFi duck-taped to the back. It would make sense that this is simply just a bandaid until the hardware was available.

moneyman118

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Apple event January 10th?

This would make for two options assuming this is in regards to an Apple iPhone.
1.) Apple will have an event on 1.10.11 to announce the iPhone on Verizon

or

2.) Steve and Co. will make the journey to the Big Apple and make there presence felt!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.