Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
This thread has been viewed over 32 thousand times. Must be awfully boring in the world of smartphones.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
This thread has been viewed over 32 thousand times. Must be awfully boring in the world of smartphones.

Nah. People just REALLY like the iPhone. Myself included, and I'm psyched to see if Tuesday really is the day the iPhone comes to Big Red.

I prefer them over ATT for my local coverage, and where I travel they're far better in terms of stable voice calling. So they make the most sense to me. Plus my employer gives me a discount...lol, and my plan was migrated in.

I used to work for a CDMA carrier absorbed by Verizon. At the time I, along with many, said the iPhone just wasn't going to be as big a deal. I wasn't super impressed, and at the time wasn't a big fan of OSX or knowledgeable honestly.

Once I went to school again for video production, just for fun as I have a career already and just wanted to go back, I picked up my Macbook Pro because of the ability to edit in both AVID and FINAL CUT on it. As I got used to it my thoughts changed, and my views on IOS changed as I became more familiar with things as well.

So add me to the "I want" group because I'm dying for a chance to have it. Plus... damnyouautocorrect.com is GREAT! lol

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
Apple :apple: is a US based Company that introduced the iPhone with AT&T in June in 2007. Later other telcos had a staged rollout all over the world. With no other US partner present.

If the primary US partner has changed, and the relationship has gone bad (see AT&T) then maybe the timeline of the product can change, especially since the iPhone 4 had a blemished year.

So why can't the newest iPhone, be the iPhone 5 World Phone on Verizon and then At&t a few months later, then the rest of the international telcos?

AT&T doesn't have to have the iPhone 5 first.

My thoughts exactly! If Apple has decided to give Verizon an improved version right off the bat, instead of just a CDMA iPhone 4 (which still would be incredible), I think I may die of happiness. :D

Seeing that this is the most sought after smartphone ever, it actually makes a lot of sense. And, for the record, I'm pretty sure I've contributed to at least 1,000 of those views. :D

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
its still an iPhone 4 with the same processor, etc, so consumer-wise its the same phone. therefore same situation. the difference is the cdma related stuff, therefore apple have nothing to announce, as it's no difference in what the phone can do in general. so therefore carrier announcement. you did not give any real counter argument, just stated it's a different manufacturer, that doesn't mean squat. but we'll see shortly won't we.

edit, and again, like a couple of others have said, how are people just ignoring totally obvious evidence that it is going to be the iphone? do people really hate the idea of iphone on verizon that much?? seriously people need to check their priorites!! lol

You miss the point. The consumer has nothing to do with this. It's a business and cost of manufacturing decision. Just because the consumer is ignorant of the manufacturing process, does not make the costs and realities dissappear.

And I think you have completely lost the original direction of our conversation. I gave no counter argument because I'm not arguing that point with you. I've never said it won't be an iPhone announced on Tuesday. I do think it will be an iPhone announced Tuesday. I just don't think another will be coming 5 months later for Verizon. However, I do think AT&T will still get a new model.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
My thoughts exactly! If Apple has decided to give Verizon an improved version right off the bat, instead of just a CDMA iPhone 4 (which still would be incredible), I think I may die of happiness. :D

Releasing an improved/new version would be nice and more to the point would cast aside my doubts on purchasing one with the possibility of it being replaced/outdated in a short period of time. Even if only AT&T got a new iPhone during the summer, it would still feel the same.

Who am I kidding, I'll probably get one even if it's just the same iPhone 4 that AT&T customers currently have. Damn you Apple. Damn you for knowing iPhone-hungry Verizon customers so well.:D

Well, anyway we'll see what we get or don't get on Tuesday.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Honestly, I don't want to see the iPhone on Verizon because I don't want to give all of Big Red's fanboys something more to brag about - Verizon customers are already elitest enough.

I DO want to see some competition to get AT&T to change their data cap policies, and thus I hope T-Mobile gets the iPhone, even though there is no T-Mobile service where I live.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Honestly, I don't want to see the iPhone on Verizon because I don't want to give all of Big Red's fanboys something more to brag about - Verizon customers are already elitest enough.

I DO want to see some competition to get AT&T to change their data cap policies, and thus I hope T-Mobile gets the iPhone, even though there is no T-Mobile service where I live.

#1. Same w/ ATT though. Constantly I hear "well I can get the iPhone" or "I have the iPhone" and so forth. Both carriers have fanboys, but honestly... it's a phone. Enjoy what you enjoy, and no need to be snotty about it. Same w/ MAC vs PC threads, or TV A vs TV B, and so forth and so forth.

#2. I think after the dust settles it'll be good for both carriers as far as the customer side. Once the initial ship jumping, and adoption occurs, is when the plans are going to be REALLY key and they have a tendency to try to 1-up each other. So it'll be win/win for everyone, and both parties can win w/ their iPhone in hand.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Doesn't anyone find it odd that the RSVP email address for the Verizon Wireless event is not one from Verizon, but webershandwick.com?

Even if Web Shandwick was Verizon's PR company, they would never use their own domain name for the email.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Did you really just put this on an Apple forum?!? :p

LOL

Doesn't anyone find it odd that the RSVP email address for the Verizon Wireless event is not one from Verizon, but webershandwick.com?

Even if Web Shandwick was Verizon's PR company, they would never use their own domain name for the email.

And why wouldn't they? Isn't that the job of the PR firm? Handle all communication about the event including the RSVP?

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I hope that this is for the iPhone announcement. I am an AT&T member and have no intentions of switching to Verizon. However, I know there are a lot of whiners on AT&T that want to switch and I hope they do only to have the iPhone cripple the Verizon network the same way it did the AT&T network.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I hope that this is for the iPhone announcement. I am an AT&T member and have no intentions of switching to Verizon. However, I know there are a lot of whiners on AT&T that want to switch and I hope they do only to have the iPhone cripple the Verizon network the same way it did the AT&T network.

Awwww...aren't you a nice person.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ

I think that the Verizon network, as a whole, is geared to handle it. If Tuesday is the announcement they've been trying to get Apple onboard for a while. During that time you know they've done EXTENSIVE research on iPhone user bandwidth, and so forth then geared up their network.

The thing is those less populated areas. Their main areas are going to be fine IMHO. They most likely took the data they got from their research, and then applied it to the subscriber base in their networks. Those areas that are smaller, though, probably were the least modified and if they have a high adoption rate I could see them experiencing issues.

As a whole, though, I think they had a chance to learn from ATT's mistakes (well not really a mistake, just a underestimate on the adoption/use) and had time to correct beforehand.

Sure there will be snags, but nowhere near what we've seen w/ ATT since they basically beta tested it for any other carrier who has, or will, pick it up in the future.

Probably also helps they've picked up some properties in the last few years w/ decent rural infrastructures, and were able to utilize that to their benefit in this (Alltel for example).

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I do think it will be an iPhone announced Tuesday. I just don't think another will be coming 5 months later for Verizon. However, I do think AT&T will still get a new model.

i am 50/50 on if verizon will get the iPhone 5 in the summer. on the one hand, they may just do CDMA on a yearly cycle in jan/feb and GSM as per usual in june, until they merge into one device in some shape or form. or they release the iPhone 4 now, get the iPhone 5 and carry one selling the iPhone 4 as the cheap end scale, since the current trend is to have the previous year's model as a cheap end phone, like at the moment, you have the 16Gb and 32Gb iPphone 4, then you have the 3GS also available, so really, they're not gonna stop making the iPhone 4 until June 2012, so there is quite a bit of feasablilty there that they could launch iPhone 4 on Verizon now with the only difference being CDMA then release an iPhone 5 both GSM & CDMA in June, joe public will still buy an iPhone 4 on Verizon cos they won't know any better.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
I've been thinking about that side, too. I'm thinking the refresh this summer wont be for high speed (4G) stuff for either ATT/Verizon.

I'm thinking, due to Apples track record for being a little late but also on a much more stable release platform to tech, this summer may be more minor type things, and then next summer will be the full on iPhone5 release w/ both carriers high speed networks having time to build out significantly.

Plus that will put early adopters within 6 months, roughly, of contract end and Verizon can run specials at that point for people upgrading since it'll be about 1.5yrs into their 2yr cycles.

phillyphill

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
lorton
i dont think the iphone will be lte, because didnt htc make claim that the thunderbolt would be verizons 1st lte phone? so if the iphone was to be lte it would have to ship after the htc thunderbolt right?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
It's safe to say on Tuesday verizon won't announce an iPhone. Then on Tuesday everyone will say "Apple will announce a verizon iPhone in February" and the madness will continue... Just like last year, the year before that, and the year before that....... :eek:

Apparently it's not so safe....

ggg05a

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
Apparently it's not so safe....

too-funny-lol-cat.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.