Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
I am an AT&T customer who is experiencing many dropped calls so I will be switching to Verizon. It seems like it would be easier to port my number and my husband's number from AT&T to Verizon if I bought the service, a different non-smart phone for hubby and an iPhone for me all from Verizon via a phone call. Or can I just as easily do most of that at the Apple Store? (I obviously would still have to get hubby's phone from a Verizon store.) Would there be any difference in service for my iPhone (in case of problems) if I bought from Verizon? Could I still bring the iPhone to an Apple Store for warranty work?
When I got my AT&T iPhone I switched from Verizon and made 2 stops--1 at AT&T booth, the other at Apple Store. It would be nice to avoid the chaos at the Verizon and Apple Stores but I am willing to wait a few days after the Feb. 10 launch if it is better in the long run.
TIA for any advice.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I don't know if Best Buy will be carrying the Verizon iPhone right away, but either Apple or Verizon stores should be a one-stop shop for you. The need to bounce between Apple and AT&T stores is long over unless you have extenuating circumstances.

zenit

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
I would order online from verizon. They always have a coupon running for free overnight shipping, and they always ship out right away. I've always gotten my orders/replacements next morning after ordering.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Authorized Resellers will receive the Verizon iPhone 30 days after release. i.e. March 10th.

I assumed as much. I doubt all the little Vz outlets will be packing the iPhones any time soon. Will they have to honor the $199 $299 price structure? I would think apple probably has that as part of their agreement to sell with Vz.

I don't know who buys their phones in the little authorized retailer stores because they sell their products for so much more than from Verizon.com. A droid X costs $70 more if I go into the store rather than the website. I guess they hope for enough people not competent enough to compare prices.

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
What about warranty work if I have problems with the iphone? Can I still go to an Apple Store, just as if I bought it there, if I buy the iPhone from Verizon? And can I buy Apple Care from Verizon or do I buy that separately from Apple?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
It might be a better idea to order the phones via Verizon's web site. I don't know if you're looking to switch over to on Feb. 10th, but I'm sure both Apple and Verizon stores will be a complete mad house. Plus, like others have mentioned, VZW typically runs free overnight shipping. So unless you want the face-to-face experience (in addition to probably waiting in line), I would suggest ordering online.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Who likes to order something and wait?? Go to the verizon store and buy both of the phones. Exspeically with porting numbers, i would rather do that with someone who i can physically deal with.. ANd yea, if theirs a problem you can still go the apple store if you have any problems

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I am sure there will be a disconnect with Verizon and Apple as there was with AT&T, but I bought mine from both Apple and AT&T for the family and didn't have an issue either way, so I would say go to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.