Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

132255-white_iphone_4_dock.jpg

As noted by VentureBeat, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak reported last night during an appearance on The Engadget Show that delays for the white iPhone 4 are in fact due to issues with the paint allowing light to leak in and affect camera performance as had been previously rumored. Wozniak also reported that the issues have been solved and that a release for the device should be expected in the near future.

While Wozniak continues to receive a small salary from Apple and obviously has some connections with the company, he is not involved in Apple's day-to-day affairs and does not officially speak for the company. Consequently, he has been known to offer imprecise statements or speculation in the past, although he would appear to have greater access to information than most independent observers.

The white iPhone 4 has been in the public view in recent weeks as Apple's most recent target date of "spring" for the release approaches and evidence of the device has been appearing in databases of a number of carriers and retailers. The issues with the paint have reportedly been solved with a new painting process developed by a small Japanese company.

Article Link: Steve Wozniak: White iPhone 4 Issues Due to Paint, Release Coming Soon

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
I've waited...

This is sad, but I have honestly wait to get the iPhone 4 for the white version :rolleyes:

I figure if it doesn't come out before the iPhone 5, i'll just get that one.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
The mysterious iPhone-4 in white..... once this is available, the only questions left in the USA will be whether or not there will be a Sprint or T-Mobile iPhone.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Just Woz shooting off his mouth again.

The guy is like an annoying family Uncle that just won't go away.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I can already hear the outcry when people buy the White iPhone 4 this spring and then complain when the iPhone 5 comes out that they would have waited for the 5 if they "would have known" the 5 was coming out in June/July...

I say just wait until the 5 is released and offer the 4 in B&W for $99.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
The fact that Apple keeps pursuing the white iPhone might suggest that they're planning on using similar materials/designs for at least one more generation of iPhones.

So I think iPhone 5 is going to be a similar story as the transition from 3G to 3Gs (no design change - marginal speed bump). Probably a redesigned antenna though!

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
This is sad, but I have honestly wait to get the iPhone 4 for the white version :rolleyes:

I figure if it doesn't come out before the iPhone 5, i'll just get that one.

It is sad, indeed, but great news for Apple. There's undoubtedly millions that have either waited for white or are willing to hock their black iPhone4 and get a white one -- despite the impending arrival of iPhone5.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I suffered as long as I could with my Nexus One, but I gave in and bought a black iP4. As tempting as the white iP4 looks, the iP5 isn't far off now.

rpc33

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Looks like I'm gunna have to pre order my verizon iphone in black, than exchange it for white within 30 days.. If the rumors are true about it coming Feb 27th?

DocStrange

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
this ship has sailed for me... unless, of course, the iPhone 5 is available in white on launch day.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Maybe it will look different in person, but I really don't like the look of the white one. The white doesn't go well with the metallic trim.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Where is the pink iPhone?

I think Apple should more directly go for the female market and create a pink iPhone. Remember the pink Razor years ago?... it was like a fashion accessory. Why force everyone to have a boring black iPhone? The iPods are in color...they should do something similar for the iPhone. If nothing else, make a pink one and give a small donation to breast cancer research for every phone that's bought...that'll prevent people from criticizing the new color (and also give a reason not to go crazy and offer every color in the rainbow). :)

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
Looks like I'm gunna have to pre order my verizon iphone in black, than exchange it for white within 30 days.. If the rumors are true about it coming Feb 27th?

Unfortunately Verizon has modified their return policy and brought it down to 14 days. Which would put the February 27th date just a tad 3 days over the return policy.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
Curious to see if the white iPhone will be an iPhone 4 or possibly a slightly modified iteration. (iPhone 4S)? Just a thought. Again, at the risk of being attacked by numerous members who disagree with this, I think it is a possibility that this may extend the life of the iPhone 4, pushing the update cycle past summer.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
what am I missing? Why would one choose this over black?

No kidding!! This makes no sense to me that people care about a white iPhone so damn much. First off, it looks way girlie and second, who cares what color the phone is when the majority will put it into a case anyway.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
a) it's crazy we can't make stuff in whatever color we want in this day and age.

b) it's crazier that we spend this much energy caring

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The fact that Apple keeps pursuing the white iPhone might suggest that they're planning on using similar materials/designs for at least one more generation of iPhones.

So I think iPhone 5 is going to be a similar story as the transition from 3G to 3Gs (no design change - marginal speed bump). Probably a redesigned antenna though!

Interesting thought. Makes sense, but at this point I think they will wait until the iPhone 5 is out before you'll be able to get a white one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.