Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
I just got lycos mail, so I could send large files, I cannot fir the life of me get it to work with my Mail app in OS X.

any suggestions or details step by step? lycos help is useless.
I feel like I have all the right settings and just cannot get it.

pop.lycos.com
smtp.lycos.com
email@lycos.com
password

use ssl
password authentication

i feel like an idiot.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
First, are you using the free or the paid version? Like Yahoo, Lycos mail doesn't support POP access for free accounts.

If you're using the paid version that supports it, the correct settings appear to be:

Code:
pop.mail.lycos.com
smtp.mail.lycos.com
youremail@lycos.com
password

jW

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
I am using the paid version, but I still cannot seem to get it to work, it just always has that triangle sign next to the inbox

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Do you have Lycos mail setup on your iPhone(if you have one)? I have that issue with Yahoo! mail before. If I was in mail on my iPhone I couldn't pull new mail. Out of habit, I close out of mail on my iPhone when i'm at home so I can check on my iMac.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Their help is sketchy at best.
Here's the link: https://help.lycos.com/kb_cat.php?id=131#2002-EPJX-8466

Synopsis: They recommend using IMAP, but the instructions to set up an iPhone are using POP - hmmm...
in the iPhone instructions they say to turn SSL OFF, but in the outlook instructions, they say that you can optionally use SSL - again, this makes my go hmmmm...

They don't have explicit instructions for mail.app, but they do have them for Outlook 2003(????). In this case, they are using IMAP rather than POP, but I think the key setting is that they set the incoming server port to 143. IIRC, 143 is the default IMAP port, but 443 is the Secure IMAP port.

If you turn off SSL, it may work...

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.