Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
What is your current capacity at? I'm getting a bit on edge and may have to return this laptop if the battery is "below normal" considering I have just used up 3 cycles and it's reading:

Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 8724
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 8724

My C2D is over 12750mAh!! WTF?

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
You could always go to the Apple store first (if one is near you) to confirm whether your battery is underperforming or not. Then, compare the results with what people will post on this thread.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Dudes - this isn't the first macbook I've owned. I do know about calibration and i do know about searching....:rolleyes:

I'll probably swing by an apple store and peek at the capacity...since no one can help with such an easy question...

over and out!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
dude, what is your problem? :confused::confused:
You asked a question. Several responses were posted, including links to threads that have your answers. Yet you act like no one has helped. Are you simply not reading the responses?

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
You asked a question. Several responses were posted, including links to threads that have your answers. Yet you act like no one has helped. Are you simply not reading the responses?

Here's what you missed. It's not a calibration issue. The battery reports 30% less capacity than the previous gens. Calibration is NOT the problem. Something changed. The OP wants to know what changed.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Here's what you missed. It's not a calibration issue. The battery reports 30% less capacity than the previous gens. Calibration is NOT the problem. Something changed. The OP wants to know what changed.
Read the first link on post #5. That directly answers the OP's question:
What is your current capacity at?
Calibration is simply a preliminary step to make sure what the OP was reporting is accurate.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Read the first link on post #5. That directly answers the OP's question:

Calibration is simply a preliminary step to make sure what the OP was reporting is accurate.

Again, here's what you missed.

The number IS accurate. Your posts don't answer the key question - indeed, are not relevant to the key question.

The OP wants to know why there is a 30% difference in capacity. Calibration would not cause such a drastic difference.

OP - your answer is this: Apple changed something but nobody knows what. iFixIt confirmed it's the same battery, so it's possible Snow Leopard is reporting the capacity differently on this "custom" build of 10.6.6 as part of their more accurate battery life reporting.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The number IS accurate.
You have no way of knowing that, since the OP indicated they only have 3 cycles and did not indicate if they had calibrated. Calibration is a sensible first step in dealing with battery issues, to make sure that whatever readings you're basing questions on are accurate. It is not any way inappropriate to suggest calibration; not as a solution, but as a first step in addressing battery issues.
The OP wants to know why there is a 30% difference in capacity. Calibration would not cause such a drastic difference.
I didn't in any way suggest that calibration would be the cause of that much difference.

I will cheerfully concede one major mistake I made. I knew this topic about the difference in capacity had been discussed and when I searched for the thread I had seen, I copied the wrong link from the search results. As it turns out, the link I intended to copy was a thread that you posted, and it was the very next link in the search results:

2011 MacBook Pro 17" - 72 Hours Later.
ScreenCap 4.PNG

Last edited:

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Again, here's what you missed.

The number IS accurate. Your posts don't answer the key question - indeed, are not relevant to the key question.

OP - your answer is this: Apple changed something but nobody knows what. iFixIt confirmed it's the same battery, so it's possible Snow Leopard is reporting the capacity differently on this "custom" build of 10.6.6 as part of their more accurate battery life reporting.

Revelated is correct - the mAh for the other 2011 17" macbooks ARE IDENTICAL to mine. I stopped by APPLE RETAIL STORE and BEST BUY. All of them are about 8800mAh or lower. I don't know what is going on but I do get about 7 hours usage time as rated by apple.

The gjstudio fellow doesn't know what he's talking about. A simple lookup on the 2011 17" would suffice rather than responding with so many posts that don't help.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Revelated is correct - the mAh for the other 2011 17" macbooks ARE IDENTICAL to mine. I stopped by APPLE RETAIL STORE and BEST BUY. All of them are about 8800mAh or lower. I don't know what is going on but I do get about 7 hours usage time as rated by apple.

The gjstudio fellow doesn't know what he's talking about. A simple lookup on the 2011 17" would suffice rather than responding with so many posts that don't help.

Previous 17" battery had lower voltage at ~ 7.3V. New (late 2011) is 10.95V. Voltage times mah is capacity in Wh which eventually is the same in both models (and by far only sufficient parameter when it comes to batteries)

Good luck with your new 17"!!! I can't wait to get my own 15" hi-res!!

Reactions: jimthing

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Previous 17" battery had lower voltage at ~ 7.3V. New (late 2011) is 10.95V. Voltage times mah is capacity in Wh which eventually is the same in both models (and by far only sufficient parameter when it comes to batteries)

Good luck with your new 17"!!! I can't wait to get my own 15" hi-res!!

Thanks again - absolutely correct! Glad to see fellow members who are both knowledgeable and willing to contribute something useful :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.