Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaseardoin7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Upgraded to an iPad 2 yesterday, but I seem to be having some sound issues. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have sound in:
iPod
Safari Videos
YouTube
Videos
Netflix
etc.

I don't have sound in:
Angry Birds
Fruit Ninja
(basically any app besides netflix)
Key Board Clicks
That little sound when you unlock

iPad 2 isn't muted or anything. Can this be explained or is it an issue with my iPad?

Bob Sanders

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Just did a quick test and that fits the behavior of the mute button. I can play Netflix and YouTube sound with the mute activated. I would double-check that.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Upgraded to an iPad 2 yesterday, but I seem to be having some sound issues. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have sound in:
iPod
Safari Videos
YouTube
Videos
Netflix
etc.

I don't have sound in:
Angry Birds
Fruit Ninja
(basically any app besides netflix)
Key Board Clicks
That little sound when you unlock

iPad 2 isn't muted or anything. Can this be explained or is it an issue with my iPad?

I had the same problem. I reset the mute button to act as a mute button, then the sounds returned. Then, I reset the mute button back to its desired orientation lock, and the sound remained. Bug I think. Try this. This should work.

Dougstrickland

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
Mute switch/ orientation lock broken

I am getting the same thing on my iPad 32gb wifi. If I set it to function as orientation lock, system sounds like the unlock swipe, as well as a bunch of app sounds don't work.

If I set the switch to function as a mute switch, I get sounds acting as normal, but some apps aren't muted by this, and I have to turn dowthe volume with the volume rocker.

I'm guessing we'll see something about this in 4.3.1.

Since there is no function associated with it, why not use a long press on the home button for an orientation lock?

JazzFlight

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
I don't think this is a bug, guys. Try this:

After changing the switch to orientation lock, open up the multitasking tray by double-clicking the home button. Slide to the right (meaning the icons to the left of the visible tray will come into view). There should be a speaker mute icon, brightness controls, volume controls, and an icon indicating a music app. Make sure your speaker mute icon doesn't have a line through it (or else toggle it).

In addition, check in the settings app under General -> Sounds -> Ringers and Alerts. There you should see a Ringer and Alert volume and the option to change with buttons.

In theory, this should solve all your sound problems. It's not a bug (unless there's something else causing this).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.