Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonaldoMitchell

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Oneida, NY
I still had 10.1 when youtube videos started showing up as a black box. Then I upgraded to 10.2 to see if it would resolve the issue but it didn't. So I also opted in to the html5 trial.

jasg49

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Here is what worked for my on my late 2007 MacBook.

1. Show Safari in Finder.
2. Get Info for Safari
3. Check 'Open in 32-bit mode'
4. Logout and back in.

This works with and without ClickToFlash - the logout/in was critical.

Others have suggested unchecking 'Enable Hardware acceleration' in Flash settings, but that had no effect for me. Probably varies by graphics hardware if it solves the problem at all.

Commodore

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2007
I just started having this problem for some reason. I suppose my machine just updated to the new version of Flash. Is there a fix besides using Safari in 32-bit mode? I'd prefer not to do that... I'd like to take advantage of all my bits.

I've read elsewhere that this is a Youtube issue and they're working on a fix with Adobe.

Something I've found really helpful is http://quietube.com Install the bookmarklet on the website and it will automatically create a page with the video embedded, which plays just fine. I'm using that has a Band-Aid until this is fixed.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I had this issue in both Safari and Firefox. After clearing cache, cookies and restarting yesterday, it didn't seem to help, but I restarted again and somehow it's working now.

Commodore

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2007
I have done everything. I have cleared cache and repaired permissions maybe 5 times with a reboot after each time. I have changed the user agent via the developer menu. Nothing works. I'm not going to change to 32-bit mode. I'll wait for a fix. Youtube videos work in Chrome but run very herky-jerky which they've never done.

Commodore

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2007
Are people no longer having this issue? Is it just me? Or has everyone switched to Chrome or Firefox?

zango

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2008

Commodore

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2007
I just checked Youtube again after the most recent reply and I'm not having the issue anymore. I didn't make any other changes. Let's hope it stays that way.

Thanks for the uninstaller and installer links, zango.

robgoblin

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
Stockholm
bumping this thread, having the same issues again, but also found the fix, stop using html5. go into your YT settings, and uncheck using html5. seems safari has has started using this recently after some update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.