Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordking65

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
San Diego, California, USA
Black dress pants,dress shirt, and tie?

Khakis, dress shirt, no tie?

Jeans, Dress shirt, tie, vans?

Casual? Semi formal? Formal?

I know this is pretty mundane of a topic, but what would you wear?

I'm at student at SDSU and they were advertising the position. This is my first real non-school related job. Can you help me out?

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
Black dress pants,dress shirt, and tie?

Khakis, dress shirt, no tie?

Jeans, Dress shirt, tie, vans?

Casual? Semi formal? Formal?

I know this is pretty mundane of a topic, but what would you wear?

I'm at student at SDSU and they were advertising the position. This is my first real non-school related job. Can you help me out?

You should dress for success. No jeans, no vans.. Suit, tie, etc.. I know its Apple and all employees when hired where t-shirt and jeans, but for a professional interview, I'd recommend nice slacks and a nice dress shirt with a tie. You don't need a sport Jacket, but just try to look professional..

No interview from what I have seen involved the candidate wearing jeans.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Never go less than dress shirt, tie, and dress pants (assuming you are male) and dress shoes. Neat facial hair is important too. More, such as a suit, never hurts either.

I know a lot of instances (from personal hiring experience) where the choice between candidates was so close that it came down to the one who dressed for success so to speak. You want to impress your interviewer and doing that involves looking your best and being confident. Some people will dish out bad advice such as "some places want you to dress casual for an interview!" Do not fall into that trap. Its purely bad advice. Even if someone considers you over dressed for whatever reason it doesn't matter, your personality will be able to sell you.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
One exception..

If you were interviewing for a heavy construction based job... most construction companies or industrial companies don't like people dressed in suits and mistake them for being "sales reps".. I know, I had this problem 7 years back when I did outside sales for Nextel. Clearly, the industrial and construction markets don't like when people pull up in suits and ties..

I remember a friend of mine who got offered a position as a flagger.. he wore a nice dress shirt and jeans + black shoes - they hired him.. So, the best rule of thumb would be if you aren't sure.. use common sense and dress professionally.. but unless you hear from the interviewer telling you that you don't have to dress up in a suit and tie, then dress business casual..

kdarling

macrumors P6
Bingo. I won a job against 500 other applicants and I dressed to the nines. It may not be what got me the job (I was vastly overqualified [tough times]) but it certainly didn't hurt.

Absolutely.

Also, if you're male and your interviewer is female, definitely buy some nice shoes to wear. And wear a pressed shirt with a very fine pinstripe. No large plaids or patterns. This goes for dating as well. Women pay extra attention to such details.

Reactions: Coffeelover01

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I wore jeans, a t-shirt, a baseball cap, and birkenstocks...

I start 6/17

Congratulations. However I guess the op has made up his mind since 2011! However I would always say for an interview

Attachments

• suit-up-barney-stinson.jpg
    suit-up-barney-stinson.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 332

rheth86

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2015
All my interviews were over a phone so it didn't matter.:D

Even though all the interviews were done via FaceTime or Skype, the Team Leader (Interviewee) still looks to see if you followed the directions of business casual dress given by the recruiter who set up that interview for you. No tie needed, but look sharp. Neat dress shirt.....a color that pops.... what makes you different than everyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.