Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmo1116

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Alabama
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I want to get my fiance an iPhone 4 from Verizon for her birthday in a week but she isn't due for an upgrade until 5/11. I doubt it but do you think they would allow an early upgrade?

jimyo

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
i called verizon and told them I was a 17 year customer and got a early upgrade of 4 months

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
If you threaten to switch to AT&T, they will certainly make an exception.

Uh... no. They do not simply care - at least in my experience.

OP: Just walk in the store and say you're a customer and would be delighted if they would let you get an early upgrade for your fiance. If no, call 611 and try there.

icstars989

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
As long as you're polite and honest with them, your chances are good. I've had great experiences with VZW's customer service.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Uh... no. They do not simply care - at least in my experience.

OP: Just walk in the store and say you're a customer and would be delighted if they would let you get an early upgrade for your fiance. If no, call 611 and try there.

Actually...YES they do. Talk to customer service and the loyalty department and say you are willing to switch or even mention a competitor and they will put you on hold for 1-2 minutes.

They will come back and make an "exception". They won't let you get the iPhone but you can a get any other phone and just return it at the store for the iPhone.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Plan B :

If Verizon stonewalls you and you REALLY want the IPhone ( like me!) just add another line( $9.95 a month) and get the phone at the $199 price. Yeh, you pay each month, but you have the phone. And it is worth it.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Actually...YES they do. Talk to customer service and the loyalty department and say you are willing to switch or even mention a competitor and they will put you on hold for 1-2 minutes.

They will come back and make an "exception". They won't let you get the iPhone but you can a get any other phone and just return it at the store for the iPhone.

This may happen at times, but it does not always happen. Simply threatening to leave has been done many times per people on here AND several friends in my life with Verizon...and rarely have Verizon suddenly turned around and gave exceptions

So, I am sure it does happen. My point is, not always

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
i have gotten many many early upgrades ... ranging from 6 to 11 months !

call 611 and ask them to put note on ur account to let you have an early upgrade then u can walk in to any Verizon store to get it done

jmo1116

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Alabama
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

So if I want to surprise my fiance, how would I go about buying and activating the iPhone without her knowing? She has an active line right now..will it deactivate her current phone when I go to get her the iPhone?

BobbieM629

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
Midwest

So if I want to surprise my fiance, how would I go about buying and activating the iPhone without her knowing? She has an active line right now..will it deactivate her current phone when I go to get her the iPhone?

Yes, unless you add it as a 3rd line.. My suggestion.. (what we did for my husband and it worked perfect!) is to buy an iTunes card, maybe an accessory like a car charger & the GC for VZW.. Wrap it up.. Put it with a card and offer to take her to pick it up. My husband was expecting his iPhone so when the odd box size was handed to him, he was puzzled.. But ended up getting what he wanted and the kids & I pulled over a good trick :) WIN.. WIN..

jmo1116

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Alabama

But isn't it different with the iPhone? I don't know how it works because I got my iPhone by adding a line. I thought maybe the phone isn't activated in the store but instead when plugged up to iTunes at home...perhaps someone with more knowledge on this can fill me in.

BobbieM629

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
Midwest

But isn't it different with the iPhone? I don't know how it works because I got my iPhone by adding a line. I thought maybe the phone isn't activated in the store but instead when plugged up to iTunes at home...perhaps someone with more knowledge on this can fill me in.

They still have to remove the ESN from your account to put the new ESN of the iPhone on there.. When they remove the old phones ESN, it will deactivate that phone. If you are getting a new phone number then they MAY be able to work around by doing an add a line, but otherwise.. It would reactive her current phone.. Activating with iTunes simply activates your Apple account.

jmo1116

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Alabama

Ok I see.
I figure I'll wait until she gets off work until I go to Verizon to pick up the phone. She'll be phoneless (and confused) for a bit before I surprise her!

jmo1116

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Alabama
Where are you all getting these early upgrades?? I went to two stores today and both were very unhelpful. They didn't care that the two upgrades are in roughly 2 weeks. And you all are saying you've gotten 8-11 month early upgrades? What are you telling these reps that makes them want to actually be helpful??

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
Where are you all getting these early upgrades?? I went to two stores today and both were very unhelpful. They didn't care that the two upgrades are in roughly 2 weeks. And you all are saying you've gotten 8-11 month early upgrades? What are you telling these reps that makes them want to actually be helpful??

phone has problem (which usually was the case with me ) and never had problem with early up .... but they might not do it with iPhone , as most of the times its really apples rule you need to go with ... verizon reps may not do an early upgrade on right now or for next 6-8 months ias many many verizon smartphone users must have tried to upgrade to iphone when it came out on Verizon so they might be playing safe

Ponderous

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
New Jersey
Arranging an early upgrade for my wife's iPhone was the first time vzw ever told me they couldn't do it. And that was after two calls with two holds to talk to supervisors...

They are always accommodating but hesitant to pull the trigger on such a pricey device. My solution was to add the extra line and eat the ten bucks a month. And the best part was I saved an upgrade for the iPhone 5 :D

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Keep calling and asking nicely for the early upgrade. I have heard many occasions where they move it up a few weeks.

ApexBoost

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
America's High Five
I was 8 months away from an upgrade and Verizon offered me a $20 early upgrade fee to get the iPhone. I was previously on a feature phone so maybe they did that to get me into the smartphone game.

NJDevils1986

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011

ApexBoost said:
I was 8 months away from an upgrade and Verizon offered me a $20 early upgrade fee to get the iPhone. I was previously on a feature phone so maybe they did that to get me into the smartphone game.

Exactly what happened with me, wanted to upgrade my son's Samsung and he wasn't due an upgrade until November this year. $20 later, new iPhone4. Works for me!

Jeremy08

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008

Your problem is that you are going in to the physical Verizon stores. I was able to also get a major advance in upgrade eligibility on my droid inc. and my gf's droid inc., about a year in advance, as well as a waived $20 early upgrade fee on both lines. I was of course having problems with my phone, but needless to say, the KEY is to CALL verizon. If you don't get the answer you are looking for...CALL BACK. You will find someone who is willing to help you eventually.

kramerica20

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011

Exactly what happened with me, wanted to upgrade my son's Samsung and he wasn't due an upgrade until November this year. $20 later, new iPhone4. Works for me!

Were you by chance able to do this in a retail store or via phoned customer service only?

NJDevils1986

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011

I did it in a retail Verizon store last week! No questions asked! $20 then $199 for the 16GB device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.