Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys,
with the 27" ACD reaching end of cycle soon, i'm wondering what the new Cinema Displays might offer. There has been rumors of a 'new size' for the iMacs, do you think there is a chance for a new sized ACD? 24"? the old 30" size?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
All I can see is the addition of Thunderbolt. I doubt Apple will go back to 30" and actually, 16:9 monitors like the current 27" are cheaper to manufacture.

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
Im hoping for TB as well. Currently I have a 2006 imac and a 2009 macbook pro... Would love to sell both and get a 2011 MBP and new cinema display.

Since (im assuming) the new displays will have TB, I would be cool if i could keep my ethernet cord plugged into my display and all power, peripherals, internet connection, etc traveled through the CD to the MBP via TB

amarcus

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
London, UK
I doubt we will be seeing any updates to the cinema display for awhile. Thunderbolt is not a necessary upgrade as the monitor is always intended to be at the end of the daisy chain.

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
I doubt we will be seeing any updates to the cinema display for awhile. Thunderbolt is not a necessary upgrade as the monitor is always intended to be at the end of the daisy chain.

end of the daisy chain??? the Apple CD is the "hub" if you will of converting the laptop into a desktop. Unlike the PC side were everything plugs into the laptop, everything plugs into the monitor and travels into the laptop.

kcdude

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008

How would this work in a TB series with a MBP to a TB external enclosure?

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Thats fairly true, but surely the new Facetime camera + thunderbolt would be a good upgrade? I would delay purchase of the Display for the FT camera....

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Thats fairly true, but surely the new Facetime camera + thunderbolt would be a good upgrade? I would delay purchase of the Display for the FT camera....

You may not be aware of it, but the Cinema already has a camera!

FaceTime camera is nothing else but a rebranding of the old iSight name.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
You may not be aware of it, but the Cinema already has a camera!

FaceTime camera is nothing else but a rebranding of the old iSight name.

Not quite, the MBPs now have iSight/FaceTime HD cameras, so are no longer just VGA resolution. It's possible that Apple may do a silent bump to the ACDs to put the new higher resolution sensor in.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
IIRC the cameras have always been 1.3MP (at least that was what Apple advertised them with). I'm not quite sure why they have been limited to 480p.

Are the FaceTime cameras really different hardware?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
IIRC the cameras have always been 1.3MP (at least that was what Apple advertised them with). I'm not quite sure why they have been limited to 480p.

Are the FaceTime cameras really different hardware?

Now you've got me there, but if it was a simple software switch to toggle the iSights/FaceTime cameras over to being super-sparkly FaceTime HD then I would assume Apple would simply just hit the button, rather than clearly delineating this new standard over the old and marking out the MBPs as having something new that can't be done on other machines.

I may be wrong though, of course.

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
yeaaaa.. it seems to be saying that thunderbolt and mini display port are the same thing.. which they are not :)
Only the same size port. My Cinema display uses the TB port of my Early 2001 MBP.

When HDD manifacturer will release TB HDD, then the HDD will be connected to my MBP and the Ciname display will be connected to the HDD.

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
You can't even buy a 27-inch LED Cinema at best buy at the moment, On-line their sold out, in-store pick up unavailable maybe new ones are on it's way with 720p camera and thunderbolt but who knows guess we have to wait until lion is released thinking on buying a second display for my setup

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
You can't even buy a 27-inch LED Cinema at best buy at the moment, On-line their sold out, in-store pick up unavailable maybe new ones are on it's way with 720p camera and thunderbolt but who knows guess we have to wait until lion is released thinking on buying a second display for my setup

Ships within 24 hours from the Danish Apple online store.....

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
yeaaaa.. it seems to be saying that thunderbolt and mini display port are the same thing.. which they are not :)

How are they different? They both connect displays yes Tb has dual channels and faster transfer speeds but once you connect the display to a MBP you can use Tb.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

Equally, somewhere like Best Buy isn't going to be selling a lot of 27"ers, and may not be so hot on keeping their stock current. No other reseller I've seen is short, if they stock them at all (many just restrict to the computers and some basic accessories).

pattigranda

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
With the cost of many HDTVs going down, I ended up purchasing one of those and using it for my mac tower

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.