Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I doubt we will be seeing any updates to the cinema display for awhile. Thunderbolt is not a necessary upgrade as the monitor is always intended to be at the end of the daisy chain.

I think this is a short sighted view of the potential of TB. Over time, TB should allow a repartioning of the platform, allowing almost any function to be integrated into display. I would eventually expect that an ACD that supports GFX accelleration, optical storage, remote storage, or any other set of options.

I would like to see a new magsafe port on a future MBA that has power and TB as a single connector, simple to use, docking connector, which would be matched to an ACD to provide a full high performance workstation.

/Jim

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
With the cost of many HDTVs going down, I ended up purchasing one of those and using it for my mac tower

Good luck with that. Text will look like crap and so will everything else.

There will be new ACD's displays soon with two Thunderbolt ports.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
The 27" Cinema Display in the online store in China is restrained with the delivery time being set at 3 weeks. Is this just coincidental or does it indicate an imminent refresh of the 27" Cinema Display?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
The 27" Cinema Display in the online store in China is restrained with the delivery time being set at 3 weeks. Is this just coincidental or does it indicate an imminent refresh of the 27" Cinema Display?

The iPad 2 is constrained in the UK, surely that means the iPad 3 next week?

No, the 27"er is highly unlikely to be having a refresh any time soon. Probably just China not getting a high allocation of stock.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
With almost all the Macs to have TB ports very soon, it is reasonable for Apple to update its Cinema Display. This way, Apple will demonstrate its determination on the promotion of TBs on peripherals. After all the Macs have got TB ports on them, a Cinema Display without any TB ports looks pretty distant from the Macs. Let us wait and see what will happen to the Cinema Display regarding the TB ports in this summer.

Brooke00000

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
I know we are all just guessing, but is there any chance Apple would go back to a 24 inch ACD? I'd love one, but 27 inches is much larger than I need.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
why? HDTV are that bad?

The PPI is very low because you have relatively low resolution and a big screen. 1920x1080 is usually found in ≤24" monitors but if you have a 42" TV with that resolution, the PPI is much, much lower which may make details such as text look blurry.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I know we are all just guessing, but is there any chance Apple would go back to a 24 inch ACD? I'd love one, but 27 inches is much larger than I need.
You could buy a used 24" Cinema Display on eBay or Craig's List. Once in a while a refurb shows up on Apple's site. It's highly unlikely that Apple will be reinstating it any time soon.

nhoz

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
The PPI is very low because you have relatively low resolution and a big screen. 1920x1080 is usually found in ≤24" monitors but if you have a 42" TV with that resolution, the PPI is much, much lower which may make details such as text look blurry.

a 27`or 30`HDTV at 1920x1080 would be fine? i want a Apple Cinema Display but unless i can plug my ps3 on it i need a TV for my mac mini.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Hopefully on the refresh they will match the hight of the monitor to that of the iMac so when the CD is used as a second screen to the iMac side by side they look better (an no book is needed under the CD)

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
If they add another size, it'd be 21.5". The CD is just an iMac screen without the computer.

norsemen

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
With almost all the Macs to have TB ports very soon, it is reasonable for Apple to update its Cinema Display. This way, Apple will demonstrate its determination on the promotion of TBs on peripherals. After all the Macs have got TB ports on them, a Cinema Display without any TB ports looks pretty distant from the Macs. Let us wait and see what will happen to the Cinema Display regarding the TB ports in this summer.

Wise words. When Apple updates the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro later this month, I expect them to release new Cinema Displays with TB ports.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Thunderbolt is not a necessary upgrade as the monitor is always intended to be at the end of the daisy chain.

I have to say I disagree with this. If I have an external Thunderbolt hard disk array connected, my monitor will be disconnected if I wish to disconnect the array. Far better to have the item most likely to be disconnected at the end of the chain, in which case, a monitor would likely be the first item and connected directly to the Mac. The only time a monitor would need to be last is if it were only displayport enabled and did not have support for Thunderbolt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.