Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carl S.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
I was on Apple.Com checking out the refurbs and got a random idea in my head. I was curious to see what a maxed out mac pro would cost. So 23K later I had a beast of a machine. But I am curious, what is the use of having two 6-core processors and 64gigs of ram. Is there any application in the world that benefits from this much power. whats the point?.. just curious

mikeyg36

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
Maryland
No

The only applications that might use this are military applications. Which are most likely classified applications. But in short, no, a normal application wouldn't use it. ;)

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
AE, Premiere, and Maya are my main applications. All of which still have the ability to render faster even with my 12-core machine. When it comes to video and 3D rendering, render times can always be faster.

Torster

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Folsom, CA
The new Final Cut Pro X will take full advantage of all cores and as much RAM as you can throw at it.

Its fully optimized for OpenCL, Grand Central Dispatch, and is native 64-bit. Pair a 12-core with 64 GB of RAM and a wicked OpenCL-compatible graphics card and you'll have a monster FCP machine.

highdefw

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2009
I can max it in Maya with fluid simulations...that's a good size scene, but definitely possible.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
You can eventually control the alien mothership in space with 64GB of RAM.

Jeff Goldblum brought down an entire alien fleet with less than 64GB.....

main-qimg-1996deb31129c1d6595d9b6ca1d722f0

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
Jeff Goldblum brought down an entire alien fleet with less than 64GB.....

Haha, luckily it wasn't independence day for him, since using a windows XP machine (I would presume) would cause a destruction of an alien mothership, and besides, how can you upload a virus to a ship the size of Jupiter in literally 60 seconds? You would need quantum-core infinite RAM with turbo powered processors, enough to power the sun.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
Haha, luckily it wasn't independence day for him, since using a windows XP machine (I would presume) would cause a destruction of an alien mothership, and besides, how can you upload a virus to a ship the size of Jupiter in literally 60 seconds? You would need quantum-core infinite RAM with turbo powered processors, enough to power the sun.

He used a Mac.

powerbook_5300_screen.jpg

Jbgloss

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2011
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
He used a Mac.

HAHAHAHAH

This thread has gone tooooooo - freaking amazing comedy

LOVE IT!!!!

LMAO

2 more days - I am back home from a Colombia. Bought my new MP Hex 3.33 and had it for exactly 2 weeks and headed down here for a month..... GRRRR 2 more days back to work with the 2 ACD's waiting - love my MBP but can't wait to get home and get to work!!!!!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you have to ask, you don't need it; if you need it, you either wish you had it or already have it.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
The only applications that might use this are military applications. Which are most likely classified applications. But in short, no, a normal application wouldn't use it. ;)

In my line of work there are a *lot* of Apps that will happily gobble that CPU power, memory, or both. NAMD will eat the CPU and ask for more, as will portions of Amber. NWChem is another hog there, etc.

(Of course I don't *usually* run these local, the system I just ran a NAMD job on is a "small" cluster of 2u dell boxes with 4-way 12 core AMDs and 2GB/core for 48 core/96GB Mem per machine, 14 nodes total, but I do run them local for testing and small jobs...)

Not normal usage for most perhaps perhaps, but not military, and not out of line for use on a "pro" machine....

tpavur

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010

Just so you know there are no military applications that benefit from this.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010

Well, that's not true either, weapons modeling comes to mind for one, so does mapping and GIS work, nuclear physics, both modeling (though, like MD, most likely done on a cluster, not local) and post-process...

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
"The point" is that it's a professional machine for people who do professional work with it.

This could include Final Cut, Logic 9, After Effects, Cinema 4D, Zbrush, Modo, Maya, or any other heavyweight application that can truly utilize the power of 12 cores.

When you do this sort of stuff for a living, time is money. Being able to do stuff faster and twiddle your thumbs less just means that you'll probably be able to get more done and make more money.

It's not a machine for surfing the web and posting to Facebook. And that's the point.

-SC

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA

The training programs the military uses for training would benefit from this, though I have not seen them in person because they are classified I am told they take up a massive amount of disk space and everything in the simulation is correct in terms of physics. Though these programs run on Linux and not Mac.

Carl S.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Halarious. I was just curious wasa justifies 12 Core and 64gb of ram. I have been using a octo-core with 16gb and it does everything i need and then some so i thought....wtf would you need 64gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.