Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
Just spoke to Apple about the backlight bleeding on this iPad 2 and the woman on the phone said I could set up a repair to get it sent away but then I told her I have had issues with this before on the previous iPad 2 I ordered. She went away and come back and said she has checked it out and said there is being a new batch of iPad 2's manufactured in May to solve this issue apparently and I could either wait and get it sent away then to save getting an iPad 2 from the batch with the same issue or I could get a refund then order again in may.

Not sure how true this is but I am just going to get a refund and wait and see what happens if there is actually a new batch manufactured without the issue.

Cantisama

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
lol wut 8 dead pixels
My first thought was "damn I have a dead pixel" then I thought "that's too big to be one dead pixel". Looking closer it was a group of them.

I made an appointment for that night and they swapped me out another new one. Quick check and I didn't see any dead pixels on this one. Restoring now.

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008
Just spoke to Apple about the backlight bleeding on this iPad 2 and the woman on the phone said I could set up a repair to get it sent away but then I told her I have had issues with this before on the previous iPad 2 I ordered. She went away and come back and said she has checked it out and said there is being a new batch of iPad 2's manufactured in May to solve this issue apparently and I could either wait and get it sent away then to save getting an iPad 2 from the batch with the same issue or I could get a refund then order again in may.

Not sure how true this is but I am just going to get a refund and wait and see what happens if there is actually a new batch manufactured without the issue.

this is good news.

hopefully mine will be from the batch made in may:

Ships: May 3
Delivers: May 4

still waiting...

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008
My first thought was "damn I have a dead pixel" then I thought "that's too big to be one dead pixel". Looking closer it was a group of them.

I made an appointment for that night and they swapped me out another new one. Quick check and I didn't see any dead pixels on this one. Restoring now.

any light bleeds?

Inverted81

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
Got my 64Gb Wifi (Black) at the start of april here in the UK from Tesco. I had bleed around the edges and a large bleed just to the right of the home button. Not too bad, but a month later i've decided to return it. Genius today could see it under the store lights so changed the unit over. A sealed brown box replacement, but advised it was new as there are no refurbishments in the system as yet. New batch only arrived last night. Looks fab so far, but at work till late so will post a pic with a hopefully all dark screen later. (oh and they gave me £25 to spend in the store as i would have to buy another skin for the rear ;) ) :apple:

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008
Got my 64Gb Wifi (Black) at the start of april here in the UK from Tesco. I had bleed around the edges and a large bleed just to the right of the home button. Not too bad, but a month later i've decided to return it. Genius today could see it under the store lights so changed the unit over. A sealed brown box replacement, but advised it was new as there are no refurbishments in the system as yet. New batch only arrived last night. Looks fab so far, but at work till late so will post a pic with a hopefully all dark screen later. (oh and they gave me £25 to spend in the store as i would have to buy another skin for the rear ;) ) :apple:

so the ipad in the brown box had no light bleed???

this is good! i wish they put start shipping those... haha

KyleMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Just adding my 2 cents

I went through 3 iPad 2's and finally struck gold with the 4th. I did 2 retail exchanges, and finally got the 4th one last Saturday. It came in a brown box, repair unit as they called it, and it has extremely minimal backlight bleed. There is a small spot about an inch away from the home button, but thats it. Its completely uniform around all the edges except for that one small spot, and even under 100% brightness on a black screen in total darkness, its not very noticeable.

So, I'm not sure i've got one of the "new" batch that has no problems, but compared to the other 3 I had, this one is great and I'm not taking any more chances. Also, I highly recommend Ghost Armor for protecting the back of the iPad. The guy at the kiosk in the mall installed it in less than 5 minutes and I can't even tell its there unless I turn the iPad around and look at the edges.

Anyhow, another success story with a repair unit.

Cantisama

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
any light bleeds?
iPad #3 has no dead pixels (well, maybe some stuck or dust under the screen, but not a big deal). There are already spots of blb along the edge, more so than on my previous iPads, but I could live with this as well. What I can't accept is this one has backlight flickering. The best way to demo this is to check mail, then while the little icon in the bottom-left corner is spinning the backlight flickers noticeably. My iPad is set at the lowest brightness level and light sensor is disabled (these are the settings I always use to slow down blb).

Will have to exchange again. Here's hoping iPad #4 is worry free.

To recap my iPad 1 64GB 3G experience:
iPad #1: No dead pixels, minimal blb along edge, but two growing spots of bleeding in noticeable areas of the screen. These appeared about 10 months after purchase.
iPad #2: cluster of ~8 dead pixels
iPad #3: backlight flicker (and more than usual blb along edge, but flicker is the biggest problem here)

Unfortunately I can't wait this out since there will never be another batch of iPad 1; otherwise I would wait a month or two before exchanging with Apple (except for the screen flicker, I wouldn't be able to live with that for two months).

-Update-
So today my rep explained that the first iPad replacement I got (iPad #2) had refurbished internal parts but new outside parts. The second iPad replacement (iPad #3, which she got for me last night) was completely new. She could tell refurbished from new by looking up the serial. I requested a new one for iPad #4 but they were out of stock. They are having one shipped to them and should arrive either tomorrow or Friday. In the mean time I hold on to iPad #3 and picked up AppleCare so that I can get another year of this awesome coverage. She said to register AppleCare to my current defective iPad, and it will automatically switch to the new one when I swap tomorrow/Friday.

Last edited:

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
this is good news.

hopefully mine will be from the batch made in may:

Ships: May 3
Delivers: May 4

still waiting...

Yeah hopefully. She said sometime in May and I asked if she knew when would be the best to order and she said well don't order 1st of May because probably not then but sometime mid may would probably be the best to order. Might place my order around 10th of May if Apple have a 1-2 week shipping time for new orders.

Last edited:

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008
Yeah hopefully. She said sometime in May and I asked if she knew when would be the best to order and she said well don't under 1st of May because probably not then but sometime mid may would probably be the best to order. Might place my order around 10th of May if Apple have a 1-2 week shipping time for new orders.

hmm... well once i get my new (replacement) ipad i'll let you guys know how it is (in terms of dead pixels and light bleed).

hopefully it's flawless, but in the event there is slight light bleed, i'm going to return it again for a full refund and then place another order online.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I really hope that the reports that are coming in about conversations with Apple Customer Care are true, but I cannot help but think they are not. There have been many posts saying this same exact thing over and over again and people have received iPads since then showing that backlight bleeding is still there.

I ordered an iPad about a week ago for my parents and it says it will ship May 4 and arrive on the 6th. I really hope this falls within the "may production."

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
I really hope that the reports that are coming in about conversations with Apple Customer Care are true, but I cannot help but think they are not. There have been many posts saying this same exact thing over and over again and people have received iPads since then showing that backlight bleeding is still there.

I ordered an iPad about a week ago for my parents and it says it will ship May 4 and arrive on the 6th. I really hope this falls within the "may production."

I heard earlier iPads made after April 21 were to be fixed. These date issues seem to be BS.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
I doubt it too but I called Apple today to get a case number. They are willing to exchange now but I think I'll wait a couple of weeks or so to see if this story holds any light . . . er. . . water.

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
my coworker just let me know that his iPad2 is being delivered to the office today, so we'll be able to check it out if it has light bleed or not.

I'm with Mike84 as well, they keep saying its fixed and the "new batches" wont have it, but it's not like a mass thing where all their employees are saying it. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and this seems to be the case.

I'll update once his comes in though.

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008
my coworker just let me know that his iPad2 is being delivered to the office today, so we'll be able to check it out if it has light bleed or not.

I'm with Mike84 as well, they keep saying its fixed and the "new batches" wont have it, but it's not like a mass thing where all their employees are saying it. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and this seems to be the case.

I'll update once his comes in though.

thanks. hope it will be some good news!

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
thanks. hope it will be some good news!

He just got it, we took it to the back room and it's minimal! when i say minimal i mean its only in ONE SPOT! and its very small, looks like yellow tint. I was like, wow, you lucked out! In portrait mode the left side no longer has bleed or spotlights, the bottom is also clean, as well as the right side, the only "bleed" i would say is about 3-4 cm's into the screen from the top right corner where the sleep wake button is.

should also mention this was done only at 50%. I wouldn't take this as proof its been fixed, its still inconsistent...people are saying they just got theirs with bleed and some without, so...yeah.

THAT kind of bleed i wouldnt complain at all.

Last edited:

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Got a brown box replacement today from the apple store, they couldn't tell me if it was new or refurbished but it had almost non detectable light bleed that I now think I can live with.

mattmac33

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Finally!

A few weeks back, I posted my fourth iPad, which was brand new at the time and the worst I had up to that point. I was then told by Apple Care to wait until they knew the bleed was fixed. I received a call from my rep last Friday saying he had located one. He was on the phone with a local Apple store and they were verifying over the phone with me that they had an iPad in a dark room at that moment and that it has no bleed. I was finally able to go and pick it up yesterday, and I am happy to say they are right. It is nearly perfect. There is one very small spot on the long left side, but it is barely noticable. Even at 100% brightness this thing looks great. I have attached a few pics of my old one that was horrible and the new one, in case there are any doubters out there. FINALLY! I hope you all are able to get the same results here.

Attachments

• old30%brightness.jpg
    old30%brightness.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 65
  • old100%brightness.jpg
    old100%brightness.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 63
  • new30% brightness.jpg
    new30% brightness.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 71
  • new100%brightness.jpg
    new100%brightness.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 73

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Just had my white WiFi 16GB swapped for excessive light bleed. Got home and checked it out, and the bleed on this model is WORSE. I didn't bother checking in the store, because they swapped me out with a brand new pad, sealed in box. Very frustrating. I think I will wait a while for my next swap, because I am positive Jobs will address this issue...I doubt he will reply, but am going o email him anyway and ask if there are any plans for a press release regarding this issue. We'll see...

GeekPill

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
United Kingdom of GB & NI
Got a brown box replacement today from the apple store, they couldn't tell me if it was new or refurbished but it had almost non detectable light bleed that I now think I can live with.

I was offered a brown box replacement on a ONE day old iPad 2 I declined and asked for a new one, lucky the Store Manager agreed with me and the Genius said that he will ask the back of house staff to put one aside for me. However he did offer me a white one which isnt that nice imo.

So now its a waiting game. But the backlight bleed on the one thats faulty (raised home button) has less then 1% of light bleed which is the best I have ever saw.

ThePlacidCasual

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
Hi all. Have had an iPad 1 for 6 months now, had no issues at all... No bleed, no bad pixels, nothing, it has been just perfect. It has been used 8 hours a day+, taken to work in a ruck sack, played with extensively by my 16 month old daughter - you name it.

I wanted a little more storage, so when a colleague asked if I was ever selling my iPad to upgrade he'd by it, I sold it to him and earlier bought an iPad 2.

The applestore here in Zurich is sold out, with no news on any stock, but I managed to get one of the last 2 in another store...

Huge mistake. Really really bad bleed and also a dead pixel. Joy. I normally don't care, but even at 25% brightness, 1/3 of the screen is totally illuminated around pretty much the whole border.

Very very unimpressed as I now have no iPad 1 to fall back on, and no eta for another iPad 2 :(

I now have to return it tomorrow, wasting more time out of an already busy day. Bah, very very cool tablet too, a nice upgrade in speed from my previous one, if only the screen was even a bit uniform in colour!

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
Received my replacement just now. If you had this iPad, would you be keeping it?

It seems better than my original one (posted here), but there's still a blotch towards the top right corner.

I think I'll be keeping it because of the hassle of sending it back, waiting for a week and then the possibility of getting another one with backlight bleeding.

Attachments

• DSC05492.jpg
    DSC05492.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 75

Hugh Mann

macrumors member
Coworker received his iPad 2 via online Apple order. He and another coworker have been teasing me saying that had I ordered mine back on day 1 I'd have it today (I'm essentially getting one free). Luckily I hadn't as I've been following this thread since the issue was first reported.

He's going to be bringing the iPad to work tomorrow, so I'm going to test it by going to this website, bringing it into a dark room at 100% brightness and adjusting it down to normal to see if he has the issue. Will report tomorrow (if we indeed do the test).

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Received my replacement just now. If you had this iPad, would you be keeping it?

It seems better than my original one (posted here), but there's still a blotch towards the top right corner.

I think I'll be keeping it because of the hassle of sending it back, waiting for a week and then the possibility of getting another one with backlight bleeding.

did you steal my ipad? mine looks just like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.