Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
My saga may finally be over.

Tonight I picked up my 3rd iPad 2, 2nd replacement, and I'll be keeping this one. Before you ask if my screen is "perfect", it's not (I'd say it's as close to being perfect as it can get, without being perfect,that is), but that doesn't mean there are problems with it.

Every LCD screen I've ever had has some minor imperfections here and there that are barely noticeable (unlike some of the ridiculous bleeding a lot of us, including myself, have experienced).

At 60% brightness, my iPad 2 presents no noticeable bleed or dead pixels.

At 80%-100% brightness, my iPad 2 has the tiniest few specs of backlight bleeding on the left side, but ones that are, again not very noticeable, even when watching a movie at 100% brightness in the dark.

Honestly, it's better (way better, actually) than any unit I've had so far, and this rinse and repeat process of returning has worn done on me. I'll be keeping it as I'm pretty content with it and these few imperfections don't bother me in the least. :)

Here's a picture of 100% brightness (taken with iPhone 4)
IMG_0039.JPG

80% brightness:
IMG_0038.JPG

And one at 60% (default - taken in the Apple Store bathroom in the dark :p)
IMG_0040.JPG

Hope this helps. Case closed. :cool:

Looks pretty good to me.

Motoman104

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
Anybody having luck at the Victoria Gardens Apple store in Rancho Cucamonga, CA?

I've taken my iPad in with very noticeable bleed and the Genius guy told me that it was a known issue and that they weren't doing swaps at the time(4/31/11). He gave that glue story and that it could take months to cure and might possibly solve the problem.

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
My saga may finally be over.

Tonight I picked up my 3rd iPad 2, 2nd replacement, and I'll be keeping this one. Before you ask if my screen is "perfect", it's not (I'd say it's as close to being perfect as it can get, without being perfect,that is), but that doesn't mean there are problems with it.

Every LCD screen I've ever had has some minor imperfections here and there that are barely noticeable (unlike some of the ridiculous bleeding a lot of us, including myself, have experienced).

At 60% brightness, my iPad 2 presents no noticeable bleed or dead pixels.

At 80%-100% brightness, my iPad 2 has the tiniest few specs of backlight bleeding on the left side, but ones that are, again not very noticeable, even when watching a movie at 100% brightness in the dark.

Honestly, it's better (way better, actually) than any unit I've had so far, and this rinse and repeat process of returning has worn done on me. I'll be keeping it as I'm pretty content with it and these few imperfections don't bother me in the least. :)

Here's a picture of 100% brightness (taken with iPhone 4)
IMG_0039.JPG

80% brightness:
IMG_0038.JPG

And one at 60% (default - taken in the Apple Store bathroom in the dark :p)
IMG_0040.JPG

Hope this helps. Case closed. :cool:

Man I wish I got one like that. It looks damn near perfect. If screens looked like that and people were complaining, then yeah that would be picky, but I see solid blacks throughout ur pictures. Nice!

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Looks great...except maybe for the upper left hand corner and........lol...just kidding. Enjoy!

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Man I wish I got one like that. It looks damn near perfect. If screens looked like that and people were complaining, then yeah that would be picky, but I see solid blacks throughout ur pictures. Nice!

Looks great...except maybe for the upper left hand corner and........lol...just kidding. Enjoy!

Yeah, but it's pretty faint I'd say. Thanks. Hope you guys get better luck like I did this time. :)

i eversaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta
wow, OP here, I had no clue this thread would become this big.

So I still have the iPad I posted way back, and after seeing all these HORRIBLE bleeds, I can say I am content with mine until the issue has officially been fixed (or reduced) and I can return it to Apple no problem.

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I have spent time on three other iPads and four iPhones with ZERO perceptible bleeding. (Whatever bleeding might be there is below the level of what can be noticed when intentionally looking for it.) My iPad 2 had bleeding that was the first thing I noticed the first time I turned it on straight out of the box when not looking for it. Only have 14 days to return it and I don't know if they'll have more stock for a replacement by then.

Can't get very good pictures without a real camera, but I'm on my way back to BB this morning. These might give a tiny hint of what it really looks like--in person it is hugely distracting during video playback:

bleed01.jpg
bleed02.jpg

Gross

mike9288

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
ipad 2 screen problem bleeding

here is mine, should i return it???

Attachments

• IMG_0001115.JPG
    IMG_0001115.JPG
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 85

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
so... what do you think of it?? I think some posted here are way better than mine :/

I've been using this iPad for 2 days now and I've heard that apparently "the glue hasn't dried yet and will go away after a while". Is this true or should I return it asap?

Attachments

• dsc05479q.jpg
    dsc05479q.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 126

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
so... what do you think of it?? I think some posted here are way better than mine :/

I've been using this iPad for 2 days now and I've heard that apparently "the glue hasn't dried yet and will go away after a while". Is this true or should I return it asap?

Return it!

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
What I'm scared the most is that it'll end up like my iMac where I've returned it 3 times before getting a decent yellow-tint free screen... :eek:

That bright spot in the corner is . . . well bright. That has to be noticeable at just about every brightness level. Look it at this way, you'll help keep the genius bar open for another day. :)

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
Just returned mine today and got a refund (Returned it for the backlight bleeding and in the left hand corner of the screen where there is like a white seal between the screen and the bezel it did not go all the way up to the bezel so there was a gap between it.)

That was my second iPad 2. Got the first one and took it back got it replaced and the replacement was worse than the first one.

Not sure what to do. Thinking about ordering one from Apple online and by time it ships 2-3 weeks hope they are shipping them without this issue so bad.

Not true in my opinion. I was told the same thing with my replacement one and I waited and it seemed to get worse. (The light patches were getting higher up the screen)

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Pathetic indeed.

My $99 PSP Go has inky blacks and perfectly uniform backlighting (not to mention a much higher color gamut). In fact, it's surprisingly one of the nicest LCD displays I've seen and is only trumped by AMOLED devices.

Apple can do a lot better than this.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
Just went and ordered one from Apple online. Hopefully the one that gets shipped has the problem sorted. If not I will just buy a first gen iPad.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I haven't seen them in the Apple stores when I have been there on display (Obviously because they want people to buy the iPad 2) not sure if they have any out the back or anything to sell. I know there is usually some on the refurb store on the Apple website to buy for a bit cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.