Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
here's my question..

I don't see a dock connector charging them.. so how are they charging them?
Yes I know the battery is great (i've owned one before), but if a store is open 10-10, with customers always using them... the battery will die...

so do they just charge them at the end of the day and hope the battery doesn't die?

edit* I see a cord that runs down the middle of the acrylic plastic that's securely holding the iPad in place... but I dont see it connecting with the dock connector port.. does this mean that these are specially made iPads that have the dock connector somewhere else on the device, and not near the home button?

Could be that they put it through the back of the device and you'll never see it. Or it is possible that it does get to the dock connector in some way?

secret ipad 3?

No.

That could be the ambient light sensor from the first iPad but I doubt it. *shrug*

It isn't. It's obviously the camera hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
That could be the ambient light sensor from the first iPad but I doubt it. *shrug*

Thats what I was thinking, but I think I was mistaken and they are, in fact, iPad 2's but yeah... The pic with the iPods is what threw me off, must have just been the reflection in the glass stand that made the edge look thicker like that of the iPad 1st gen

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

Wasn't disagreeing with you. Was simply pointing out that it's not impossible for it to be an original iPad because of the hole at the top.

We know that. You don't need to point it out. But there's no reason they would use the original iPad for these displays when the iPad 2 is out. Apple doesn't promote old hardware like that in their stores.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
first thought.. wires, wires and more wires—seems very un-apple. Personally I prefer the cards but I can't honestly say that I have every taken the time to read one.. I usually go to the apple store .com to check on prices while at the apple store.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
first thought.. wires, wires and more wires—seems very un-apple. Personally I prefer the cards but I can't honestly say that I have every taken the time to read one.. I usually go to the apple store .com to check on prices while at the apple store.

You need one to keep these things powered all day. You need another for security. The only one they could do away with is the headphones on the iPods if they really wanted to.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
here's my question..

I don't see a dock connector charging them.. so how are they charging them?
Yes I know the battery is great (i've owned one before), but if a store is open 10-10, with customers always using them... the battery will die...

so do they just charge them at the end of the day and hope the battery doesn't die?

edit* I see a cord that runs down the middle of the acrylic plastic that's securely holding the iPad in place... but I dont see it connecting with the dock connector port.. does this mean that these are specially made iPads that have the dock connector somewhere else on the device, and not near the home button?

Good question, I noticed that too. I'd like to see a picture of that special dock connector.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
No problem, you're paying for it.

Cha-ching - profit margin!
I am really not sure how much more enticing an iPad will be over a piece of paper with side by side comparison. It appears to be a reckless amount of money to spend on electronics for little gain in the margins. I am sure it can be tossed up as eXPERIENCE but how great are the gains?

The endless product incest feedback loop has gone overboard here.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
Am I the only one who doesn't mind keeping the old price tags? :confused: That's a big power drain right there for Apple.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
I don't think this is as expensive as you guys think. Probably only a cost of $200-250 per unit. This is Apple, remember, with so much cash they don't know what to do with it.

On a different note, I don't like how the iPads seem to blend in with the products they are supposed to be selling. It's hard to tell what's for sale and what's the "sign" now -- especially with the iPods and iPads. They should have made a nice aluminum or wood enclosure that left only the screen visible to "hide" the iPad's bezel and frame, as it's distracting when you are looking at a MacBook or iPhone or something.

Grimmeh

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
Anyone else laugh at this? Seems very un-Apple-like. Way to cumbersome. Seems like a Microsoft idea…weird.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Calm down, I never said there was a reason to use an original iPad. I was simply giving reason as to why that hole shouldn't be the sole indicator of it being an iPad 2.

lol @ calm down. His text seems perfectly calm to me. :D

Anyone else laugh at this? Seems very un-Apple-like. Way to cumbersome. Seems like a Microsoft idea…weird.

Not really. Apple has has interactive mac displays for a long time.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I don't think this is as expensive as you guys think. Probably only a cost of $200-250 per unit. This is Apple, remember, with so much cash they don't know what to do with it.

They do get them at cost, sure, but the huge power drain that these things have...

It's like using Surface for every display.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind keeping the old price tags? :confused: That's a big power drain right there for Apple.

I'll miss the paper.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
No problem, you're paying for it.

Cha-ching - profit margin!

Exactly what I thought. With its profit margins Apple can afford all the display iPads it desires. I wonder if these iPads will also be loaded with product demos, rather than just serve as price displays. That could be quite useful.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Am I the only one that looks at it and says "thats one too many cables laying around on that table." I think it looks ugly.

All that wiring should just go under the table rather than back-then-down in a 90 degree turn.. shrug? I agree with ya

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.