Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, a report surfaced claiming that Apple could launch its annual back-to-school promotion in the United States as early as this week, offering educational customers free or discounted iPod hardware with the purchase of a qualifying Mac product. With it now appearing that the offer will not debut this week, BGR is reporting that Apple may wait until next month's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) to announce the promotion.
One of our Apple sources has informed us that they've been hearing Apple's yearly back-to-school special will be announced at WWDC next month. We have been told Apple will continue to offer educational discounts on computers and either a free iPod touch, or $229 towards the purchase of any other iPod.
The report also indicates that Apple may be preparing to include a $200 discount on the iPad as an option for those participating in the promotion.

Last year's promotion offered rebates of up to $199 on Apple's full line of iPod models, but did not include the iPad. Apple has also never included iPhone discounts in the promotion, which typically runs through early September, around the time the company traditionally introduces new iPods.

Article Link: Apple to Announce Back-to-School Promotion at WWDC? iPad Discounts Included?

Last edited by a moderator:

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
A discount that significant on an iPad? That's almost a no brainer. If one of my sons were in college, I would buy him the Mac and keep the iPad.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
very enticing...

wow, if that' true about the discount for the iPad2 I just might finally pick one up. :)

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
I know this is sort of off-topic, but that B2S promotion - picture distracts me - My eyes tend to go to the ipod touch, followed by the mac and then straight after to one of the notes on the wall in the background where it says "summer jobs" xD - That jobs thing, could that be a hint to a certain S. jobs?

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA
If indeed the $200 rebate is applied towards iPads, I don't care if it is iPad 2 or refurbished iPad 1 (not that there are any currently in the store). But if the new MacBook Air line is announced alongside this deal... well, there's no way I'll be able to resist.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Sounds nice, but regarding the "wow" event at WWDC, what could it be?

iOS 5 or 4.5? Siri integration? iTunes iCloud? It seems that it would be a software "wow" and not a hardware "wow"

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Sounds nice, but regarding the "wow" event at WWDC, what could it be?

iOS 5 or 4.5? Siri integration? iTunes iCloud? It seems that it would be a software "wow" and not a hardware "wow"

That's what has been the rumor for months now. No new hardware (Iphone) all Lion and probably iOS 5.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
They're not gonna discount the iPad. They can't even keep up with demand at full retail pricing. Their rollout to international markets is incomplete (i.e., the iPad is not sold in all the markets where they sell iPhones and iPod touches).

The only day that Apple might consider discounting iPads is their 24-hour holiday sale after Thanksgiving (Cyber Monday, I believe).

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
The free iPod is not that big a kicker anymore...
A discount towards an iPad or iPhone would indeed be this a fantastic deal.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
I'd be surprised if this was true. The Back To School promotion has always been about clearing out the iPod stock ahead of September's annual iPod/Music event when the iPod lineup normally gets updated.

Entourage12

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Maybe they are trying to get something to combat the offer Microsoft put up?

A free $199 Xbox with any purchase of a computer over $699 is quite a steal considering the Macbook starts at $949 for a $199 (iPod) discount.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
That's what has been the rumor for months now. No new hardware (Iphone) all Lion and probably iOS 5.

I'm glad that the focus will be on software. There are so many areas of iOS that need polishing - notifications, multitasking, voice, navigation, to become a truly A+ OS for the future.

I'm also really excited about Lion. Since Snow Leopard was more of a performance/polish thing, I haven't had the fun of discovering a new OS X update since 2007! There's nothing quite like exploring the new features of an OS release. :D:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.