Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I am very fit and my body means a lot to me. Much, much more than any $800 product. Those products will be "obsolete" in a year. My organs don't become obsolete until I die.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Heard this on the radio yesterday. The kid obviously has issues to want to potentially shorten his life just for a tablet.

JabbaII

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2007
According to Japanese newspaper on June 8th (referenced if you can read japanese), the boy's condition deteriorated little bit.

The hospital where the operation was performed did not have the necessary facility/equipment for kidney transplant.

Hospital indicated they do not know what procedure was performed (guess this means what procedures were followed to take it out).

The police was unable to contact/reach the organ broker.

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/s/article/2011060801001080.html

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
According to Japanese newspaper on June 8th (referenced if you can read japanese), the boy's condition deteriorated little bit.

The hospital where the operation was performed did not have the necessary facility/equipment for kidney transplant.

Hospital indicated they do not know what procedure was performed (guess this means what procedures were followed to take it out).

The police was unable to contact/reach the organ broker.

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/s/article/2011060801001080.html

:eek: That's crazy!

Which organ is he going to sell to buy the new edition of the iPad a year or two from now?
My money's on the tonsils, maybe a rib or two. :D

:p What is the going price for tonsils? I've always assumed they were kind of like your appendix in terms of transplant value (eg lack thereof)...

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
(The hospital say they knew nothing about it, so either they're lying, or they have such awful administrative procedures that they don't even know what happens in their own premises -- either way it's not good).

Chinese hospitals can be quite sketchy. Let's see, my most recent visit, my grandfather passed away and his body was still at the hospital so we all go there for a viewing. Let's see, I had to go to the bathroom for a second and see feces all over the floor, no running water, no soap anywhere (how does a hospital not have soap?), no toilet paper, patients suffering from lung disease smoking in their beds, doctors smoking right next to patients, quickly reminds me why China is still a 3rd world country and makes me really thankful that I'm a citizen of the USA.

anyways, speaking of iPad, I wonder where I put my iPad 2? Must've left it in my closet. Haven't used that thing in a while. Let's see, if I want an iPad 3, I'll just go onto XCode, go whip up some app, sell it for 99 cents, I'm sure in a year, I can generate at least $1000 in revenue? There, iPad 3 cost covered! Or just go the iAd route and make some easy cash that way too. What was that old saying? Give a man a fish, and he'll eat well once. Teach a man how to fish, he'll eat well a lifetime. One of my cousins is kinda crazy about an iPhone as well, and he keeps asking me to buy him one in the US because he thinks it's way cheaper here. I can't get it into his head that our prices are subsidized by the carriers, and require a lengthy contract to get it at those rates. The unsubsidized prices are more or less the same between the US and China give or take $30.

Last edited:

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
It seems that quite a few people on these forums have sold their brains for an iphone or imac...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This just makes me so sad, and it forces home just how fortunate we all are. Poor kid...17 years old, and if infection sets in his new toy's will be of no use to him whatsoever. WHat a sad world it is when items like this *( which are a lot more commonplace than we might think) come to light.

Stupid? of course, but who amongst us never did anything stupid at his age? Peer pressure, greed...It's sickening..

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
What an idiot. Though you can't really expect a child to make wise decisions. And how is he a HS freshman if he is 17?!
It's a bit ridiculous how this even went through at the hospital.

Did I mention that the kid is an idiot?

I would never compromise with my health ... for a freaking iPad :eek:

China has a different grade system than here...although 17 still does seem to be a bit too old. I guess we know why he decided to sell his kidney ;)

FanOfMR

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2012
Yes, I remember that story.
He is so going to regret it as soon as the I-Pad 3 will be out.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Not sure if this is the same kid or not, but...

Teen who sold kidney for iPad seeks compensation

A Chinese teenager wants compensation from the nine people who allegedly helped him sell his kidney so he could buy an iPad and an iPhone.
The 17-year-old, known only as Wang, is said to have suffered renal failure after his right kidney was removed by a surgeon in May 2011. The report did not say who the recipient of the organ was.

According to China's government-run Xinhua News Agency, one of the defendants received about 220,000 yuan (about $34,000 CAD) to arrange the removal and transplant. He paid Wang 22,000 yuan and split the rest with the other defendants, which include medical staff from the hospital where the operation took place.

The report said the boy responded to an online ad. His mother became suspicious when she saw her son's new Apple electronics and noticed his fresh scar.

Wang's lawyer is asking for 2.27 million yuan in compensation, reports CNN. The two-day hearing ended Friday, and a verdict is expected at a later date.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Not sure if this is the same kid or not, but...

Teen who sold kidney for iPad seeks compensation

I don't know enough about Chinese laws, but in most places (1) a contract to sell a kidney would be void, and therefore removing a kidney would be probably be considered assault or something similar even with a signed contract in place, and (2) any contract whatsoever with an underage person would be voidable, which means removing a kidney that cannot be put back when the child or his guardian voids the contract would be on very dodgy legal ground.

A

AhmedFaisal

I wonder what Lance would pay for one of waloshin's testicles??

Now, now, good sir, be nice. That being said, I would probably chip in for the good cause. That being said, the only way I would sell a kidney is if with taxes it could instantly pay off all my loans and leave some spare change. So we are talking 250k+ at least.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Wang? His name is actually Wang? And he just sold a kidney when this fake story could have been much more more salacious.

A

AhmedFaisal

Not enough!

Dang, really?! That would have solved 2 problems at the same time. Lance would finally have enough balls to face the charges against him and you, well.... let's just say honorary Darwin Awards... eh?! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.