Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last night held its annual Apple Design Awards ceremony at WWDC, recognizing twelve applications for excellence in design and innovation across four categories: Student, iPhone, iPad, and Mac. All eligible applications were required to be available via either the iOS or Mac App Store.

This year's winners come from a range of genres, from games to news to books to music and beyond. In terms of price, the winners range from the free Pulse News Reader for iOS to the $49.99 Capo for OS X.

apple_design_awards_2011.jpg

Student
- Grades 2
- Pennant
- Pulse News Reader

iPhone
- Cut the Rope
- Golfscape GPS Rangefinder
- Infinity Blade

iPad
- Osmos for iPad
- Our Choice
- djay

Mac
- Capo
- Pixelmator
- Anomaly Warzone Earth

As part of a focus on iOS at last year's conference, Apple did not include Mac applications in the Apple Design Awards competition. But with OS X Lion playing a prominent role in this year's event and the Mac App Store gaining momentum, Mac applications returned to the ballot this year.

Article Link: 2011 Apple Design Award Winners Announced

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Infinity Blade on iPad 2 is just insanely good looking and fun. This announcement will only boost the $10 million the devs have made so far.

I'm glad to see the Mac Apps are back. Probably because of the Mac App Store. Are all of these apps available on the store only?

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
This might be a stupid question, but is the "Student" category for developers who are students? Or are they apps that focus on students?

JeremyWesley

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
I agree that Osmos for iPad is a winner, its beautiful and addictive. Its not just some easy game to pass time, it a great buy. I've been playing it for a few weeks and have beat almost all of it, but very fun to play.
Highly recommend it.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
Hmm I see Al Gores position (had or have) has benefits. my hand it off to Al Gore, he surely knows how to milk this world in danger for $$$$.

Though the App does is very good, very interactive and some what intriguing.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
This might be a stupid question, but is the "Student" category for developers who are students? Or are they apps that focus on students?

Exactly what I was thinking. As a developer who makes applications almost explicitly for students/education, I'm kinda insulted that two of the three have no business being in the "Student" category.

If you're going by the numbers, I'd bet that the "Student" category should be all games.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Hmm I see Al Gores position (had or have) has benefits. my hand it off to Al Gore, he surely knows how to milk this world in danger for $$$$.

Though the App does is very good, very interactive and some what intriguing.

100% of Al Gore's earnings from "Our Choice" go to charity...

popnfresh

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2004
San Francisco
The beginning of the end of OS X

Pretty soon it will be impossible to load software onto your Mac that doesn't arrive via the App Store. Steve's dreams of making the Mac a closed ecosystem are almost complete. Nothing that isn't controlled by Apple will be allowed to exist on your Mac. In order to maintain control of your Mac you will need to jailbreak it, like an iPhone.

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
Pretty soon it will be impossible to load software onto your Mac that doesn't arrive via the App Store. Steve's dreams of making the Mac a closed ecosystem are almost complete. Nothing that isn't controlled by Apple will be allowed to exist on your Mac. In order to maintain control of your Mac you will need to jailbreak it, like an iPhone.

IMO, this is a good thing. :D

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Exactly what I was thinking. As a developer who makes applications almost explicitly for students/education, I'm kinda insulted that two of the three have no business being in the "Student" category.

If you're going by the numbers, I'd bet that the "Student" category should be all games.

I believe the category is for apps created by students.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I'm going to make probably the most fanboy-ish comment I ever have.

My entire goal as a developer isn't money or fame or notoriety...it is to win one of these. That is the pinnacle of achievement for me personally, and what drives me to develop iOS and Mac applications.

Lame, I know.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
I just bought Anomaly Warzone Earth, but I wish I didn't. The gameplay is incredibly slow and tedious.

I wish I could afford to spend the money on Capo, though. That looks awesome.

ianpyst

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Washington

You are very special. :rolleyes:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I wish I could afford to spend the money on Capo, though. That looks awesome.

Is there a free trial or demo? This is the sort of app that looks like it could well be worth $50, but I wouldn't want to blow that kind of money until I knew for sure it was what I wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.