Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

violetsmom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Hi! I need help! I have a PowerBook G4 that is stuck on the grey screen with the annoying little spinning gear thingy. We have had this computer for a few years and it worked fine for awhile, then all of a sudden it would not connect to internet and kept saying "IP address not valid" or something like that and so we set it aside and didn't use it. Then, yesterday, I decided to try and get it to work so I looked around on line and someone suggested to turn the firewall to accept all feeds or something like that (and then turn firewall back as it was) and it worked!!! I was soooooooo excited!!!! Sooooo, of course after not having been on line for a year there were a ton of updates, 9 in all I believe, and so I did the updates, and now my computer will not boot up!! It just sits on the grey screen with that damned spinning gear!!! I have tried a few things I saw suggested on other threads, such as starting in safe mode or whatever, and some fsck thing, but nothing has worked. I have unplugged it, restarted it, nothing works!! I can't remember what all the updates are, itunes, safari, quicktime- can't remember anything else. I think this computer has ox (is that what it's called?) Also, I do not have any disk to restart the computer, as my brother-in-law gave us the computer when he upgraded the computers in his office. We have used it as an extra computer, and now that my ten year wants to be online ALL the time, we really would like to get it working. As you can tell, I am totally NOT computer techy-savy!!! I was so excited when I got the internet to work again and now this :( Any ideas??

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Could also be just common bitrot. It can get so bad at times that it renders some drives seemingly dead but it may just need a fresh format and install.

If it gets to the spinning gear there is a chance it isn't dead.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Does sound like the HD is dead but before buying a new HD try this:

1. When you hear the startup chime hold down all together

COMMAND ALT P R

2. Open the computer and get to the front of the motherboard - if you see a small button, press it.

3. Try inserting the install CD and do (Try) a system re-install.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Restart and this time hold down the command (⌘) and V buttons at the same time immediately after the startup chime. That will start in verbose mode where you'll see text of what it's doing instead of the Apple logo and spinner. See where it hangs for a while and write down any possible error/warning messages that show at the bottom, and post what you find.

Edit: merged with your other thread. Please only post one thread per topic.

Finnishdude

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
Hi Kainjo, I have the same problem

Thing I got (using your helpful tips) was this:
dyld: library not loaded: /system/library/frameworks/coreservices.framework/versions/A/frameworks/metadata.framework/versions/A/metadata

Referenced from: /system/library/frameworks/coreservices.framework/version/A/coreservices

Reason: image not found

Com.apple.launchd 1
Com.apple.launchctl.system 2
The system bootstrapper has crashed: trace/BPT trap: 5

Any ideas?

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
Thing I got (using your helpful tips) was this:
dyld: library not loaded: /system/library/frameworks/coreservices.framework/versions/A/frameworks/metadata.framework/versions/A/metadata

Referenced from: /system/library/frameworks/coreservices.framework/version/A/coreservices

Reason: image not found

Com.apple.launchd 1
Com.apple.launchctl.system 2
The system bootstrapper has crashed: trace/BPT trap: 5

Any ideas?

In your case, I would probably boot off an OS disk, depending on which one you have (OS 10.3, .4 or .5) and run the disk utility included on the startup media. Once running, choose "Repair Disk" to get the drive booting once more :)

Finnishdude

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
Hi supercompu2

I am using 10.7.3 and I did not get a disc. This was purchased from App Store.
Any ideas how to get it fixed or should I go to apple store and try that way?

Thank you for you professionally advise.

farmhillbob

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
powerbook g4 on grey screen

hello

I have had issues also with my powerbook g4 1 ghz machine.

Mine was in fact that the operating system was corrupted. So what i did, I contacted a company in San jose, CA called MacPro I think. I purchased a os x 10.5.x dvd and was able to reinstall the software. Then what i did, i ran the software update under the apple menu but i didnt download from there. Instead i went to the apple support site and downloaded each .dmg image from their site and installed in the order that software update showed.

heenalu5

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2015
I have a problem too, but probably much worse. I was deleting files off my old PowerBook G4 so I could give it to my nephew. Looks like I deleted some critical OS files. I've using the original OS discs to do a fresh OS install, but the "Macintosh HD" doesn't show up. I've gone through all the different steps: 1) start up holding down the command and "S" key, 2) command "P" and "R", 3) Using disk utilities on the start up disc, 4) Fresh reinstall…. nothing works. I messed it up pretty badly. Any constructive advice please?

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
I have a problem too, but probably much worse. I was deleting files off my old PowerBook G4 so I could give it to my nephew. Looks like I deleted some critical OS files. I've using the original OS discs to do a fresh OS install, but the "Macintosh HD" doesn't show up. I've gone through all the different steps: 1) start up holding down the command and "S" key, 2) command "P" and "R", 3) Using disk utilities on the start up disc, 4) Fresh reinstall…. nothing works. I messed it up pretty badly. Any constructive advice please?

Are you certain the machine is booting from the install disc? If it's a dvd hold "C" when you power the system on to force booting from the disc drive.

heenalu5

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2015
Are you certain the machine is booting from the install disc? If it's a dvd hold "C" when you power the system on to force booting from the disc drive.
Thank you for your reply. I changed the startup to start up from the disc. My only options were the disc or network. It used to give me the option of "Macintosh HD", but since I changed the startup, it disappeared.

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Thank you for your reply. I changed the startup to start up from the disc. My only options were the disc or network. It used to give me the option of "Macintosh HD", but since I changed the startup, it disappeared.

That would indicate that the HD (Macintosh HD) isn't being recognized. Just deleting files from the HD wouldn't cause the problem you described. Honestly it sounds like the HD has failed. Can you determine if the HD is spinning up?

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Hold C at startup to boot from an install DVD, once it boots the DVD, go to the utilities tab, and select disk utility. Erase the hard drive by clicking on the actual drive, not Macintosh HD. Click erase and then reinstall the OS

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Hold C at startup to boot from an install DVD, once it boots the DVD, go to the utilities tab, and select disk utility. Erase the hard drive by clicking on the actual drive, not Macintosh HD. Click erase and then reinstall the OS

images

I knew that . . . . . .

heenalu5

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2015
That would indicate that the HD (Macintosh HD) isn't being recognized. Just deleting files from the HD wouldn't cause the problem you described. Honestly it sounds like the HD has failed. Can you determine if the HD is spinning up?
I can hear the HD spinning on start up. If I start up without holding the "C" with the install disc in, I get a flashing question mark.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I can hear the HD spinning on start up. If I start up without holding the "C" with the install disc in, I get a flashing question mark.
With the DVD in, try booting into open firmware (hold cmd+option+o+f) and type, boot cd:,\\:tbxi

heenalu5

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2015
With the DVD in, try booting into open firmware (hold cmd+option+o+f) and type, boot cd:,\\:tbxi
I tried 3 times to startup with the DVD while holding cmd+option+o+f, but it keeps startup up from the DVD and takes me to the Install screen, which is where I can't select a destination volume to install the OS. I hate to say it, but you might be right about the HD failing. It may not be a spinning noise the HD is making. It's more like a loud buzz. It doesn't sound normal, even for an old PowerBook. Just odd coincidence that it was working fine until I deleted original user files when I changed the user name. OK, I give. Thank you so much for your help MacCubed. If there is some other magic or suggestions, I'm all ears or eyes.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I tried 3 times to startup with the DVD while holding cmd+option+o+f, but it keeps startup up from the DVD and takes me to the Install screen, which is where I can't select a destination volume to install the OS. I hate to say it, but you might be right about the HD failing. It may not be a spinning noise the HD is making. It's more like a loud buzz. It doesn't sound normal, even for an old PowerBook. Just odd coincidence that it was working fine until I deleted original user files when I changed the user name. OK, I give. Thank you so much for your help MacCubed. If there is some other magic or suggestions, I'm all ears or eyes.
Does the disk show up in the Disk Utility?

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Ok so when you are at this screen, click the "Utilities" tab:
cH5xnKfMXCtVDe5s.huge.jpeg

Once there, look for the Disks in the side-bar, you want to find the actual drive, example: where it says Hitachi.....
inEunpTbbdhl1Vxx.huge.jpeg

If that is there, click on it and navigate to partition, click on the box that says "Current" and change it to 1 partition, click options and choose "Apple Partition Map" and then Apply.
lteWUFqRaRXfJFNL.huge.jpeg

Now there should be a partition to install OS X on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.