Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RWinOR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hello Everyone,

I have a TV and Apple TV2 in our spare bedroom, my wife just moved her IMac back in there as well. Every time I use the Apple remote to control the ATV2 is also controls the Imac (Not the Media Server). Is there someway to disable the IMac from seeing the Apple Remote?

I have looked through all the menus but I must be overlooking this feature somewhere.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
not in front of a mac right now but I'm pretty sure this option is under 'sharing' in System Preferences

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Well intead of disabling remote on imac, you can make apple remote only working for certain device, if i recall correctly. When the iMac turned off (so it doesnt accept IR signal) and apple tv turned on, you direct the remote to apple tv, then press menu + >> (fast fwd button) altogether fOr about 5 secs

This way, you paired the remote only to apple tv. To undo the pairing, press menu + << for another 5 secs so it can be used on other apple device again.

But if you prefer disabling the ir receiver on imac itself, then it's up to you

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I just tried this and I am still having the Mac either go into FrontRow or interact with iTunes. I have disabled the setting in security, disabled the keyboard shortcut and unpaired the remote.

Anything else I can try?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.