Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PNayo92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
I have a 32" Insignia TV (from about 3-4 years ago) and an early 2011 MBP that I have recently bought. I purchased a MDP to HDMI (with audio support) to connect my computer to my television.

This is the cable I bought:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4637ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

I was able to configure my television to HDMI. However, only video streams through my television. Right now I am using Mirror mode to display my computer on the external screen. I have already gone into sound settings and changed the output to HDMI, but to no avail. It also says that "the selected device has no output controls."

Does anybody have any advice for me? I'd really like this to work :/

xblyx

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
I had a similar situation but with a totally different set of cables (MDP to HDMI and MDP to HDMI adapter). At first I wasn't getting any sound to playback, but after a reboot everything got sync'd up and working again.

Are you playing back AC-3 or DTS video and you're TV can't handle it? Try playing a video from youtube or something.

PNayo92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
nope, no luck with youtube videos. I don't think it's the type of audio that is the problem

Hook'Em2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Plano, TX
Did you look at your audio settings? When I first hooked mine up, I had to change the audio output to HDMI. Worked for me. Lemme know if it works for you.

PNayo92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
These are my only audio setting on my TV:

-MTS: Stereo, SAP, or Mono
-SPDIF Type: Off, PCM, or Doby Digital
-Audio Language: English, French, Spanish
-Speaker: On, Off
-Audio Out: Fixed, Variable

I tried Right Clicking HDMI under the audio midi settings, and I was given the choice to configure speakers. Seems to not really do anything though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.