Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyle1320

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
In my own little world
I saw a comment on 8GB of ram I ordered that in the 2011 MBP's on Lion when the system detects 8GB of RAM, it increases the shared memory of the Intel HD3000 integrated graphics to 512 MB instead of the default 384 MB. Is this true? I'm currently waiting for the RAM to arrive, and it'd be nice to know if this will happen, and if it will increase my graphics performance. Thanks :)

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What kind of RAM? I ordered cosair for 50 bucks on amazon.

JH4DC5

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
yup. pic for proof :D

aboutthismac107.jpg

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
It won't increase performance per se, because much like upgrading system RAM, its not a performance improvement but rather a capacity improvement. It will mean that some games like Starcraft2 which require 512MB for textures to be on "high" can be run at that setting with no performance drawback.

If you upgrade to DDR3 1600, that will in fact improve graphics performance slightly as shared graphics memory does cause a bottleneck in all cards that use it including 320M, 9400M and HD3000.

nnoob

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2006
I saw a comment on 8GB of ram I ordered that in the 2011 MBP's on Lion when the system detects 8GB of RAM, it increases the shared memory of the Intel HD3000 integrated graphics to 512 MB instead of the default 384 MB. Is this true? I'm currently waiting for the RAM to arrive, and it'd be nice to know if this will happen, and if it will increase my graphics performance. Thanks :)

It doesn't increase graphic performance.. All it does raise the graphic buffer to 512 mb, if you want the better performance, run graphic stuff under windows. The Apple OpenGL rendering stack and graphic drivers is a piece of crap on mac os x.

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
It doesn't increase graphic performance.. All it does raise the graphic buffer to 512 mb, if you want the better performance, run graphic stuff under windows. The Apple OpenGL rendering stack and graphic drivers is a piece of crap on mac os x.

You've got it backwards, its vastly slower under Windows, the OpenGL performance on mac is current far ahead of both that and the Linux performance right now.

nnoob

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2006
You've got it backwards, its vastly slower under Windows, the OpenGL performance on mac is current far ahead of both that and the Linux performance right now.
IT slower under ATI graphic driver in Mac OS X. Maybe intel drivers have better graphic performance under Mac OS X

S7A2G6

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
America (**** Yeah)
Mine does all that, and it is an 09 model.

But I did happen to order the Corsair 8GB from Amazon today. That is how I stumbled upon this forum and registered.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:

2hvy4grvty

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Faster RAM affects onboard graphic performance. This is really the only time I'd recommend getting MORE than 1333 RAM.

jgz

macrumors regular
Faster RAM affects onboard graphic performance. This is really the only time I'd recommend getting MORE than 1333 RAM.

badly, that 1666mhz RAM seems to be incompatible with Core i7/Core i5 built in mbp 13"..... As the Intel IGP is the only GPU available on that machine, every little plus in terms of speed inprovement would be nice.....

On the bigger ones mbp's it wouldn't make sense improving the IGP, because there's always available a Radeon for graphic intensive work....

stevey69

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
to all the people that own the 2.2 i7 mbp 2011 15" .... is there any heating problems i should be worried about ? i recently placed my order for mbp and I'm expecting a shipment soon but I'm worried that the overheating is gonna trump my mbp experience. my previous mbp used to get hot too.. 08 mbp.. so please help... i am hearing that it doesn't overheat but then with some it does overheat and they have applied thermal paste to make it better... i don't know if i want to do all this.. help please. oh also.. my 2nd choice is a mba 13" i5 256ssd. help.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
is there any heating problems i should be worried about ?
No, SODIMM memories don't use much power and don't get particularly hot either.

As for the laptop itself, yes it can get pretty warm when working at full capacity, but this is normal and only to be expected from such a high-performing laptop computer. Any time you have a fast processor in a small enclosure there'll be a bunch of heat generated.

No need to worry though, the system is designed to handle that level of heat.

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
silly question, but does this apply to Snow Leopard too?
Yes.

To simplify what happens when memory is increased in the case of the Intel HD3000, it doesn't actually speed up much of anything. The additional RAM is mostly used for texture memory, which is useful when video is shot to a larger screen (i.e. larger EXT monitor). However speeding up the performance will require the data to be pulled from the VRAM quickly (this is why dedicated graphics adapters with GDDR are so fast at drawing textures).

System RAM is still slow compared to video RAM found usually on dedicated GPU's because data still has to pass through the slower system bus rather than being on-die or near the GPU itself.

csjo00

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Arkansas
I upgraded to 8GB earlier this week in my 2010 13" MBP and About this Mac still says 256MB. So either it doesn't work for 2010 MBPs or I need to tweak a setting.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I upgraded to 8GB earlier this week in my 2010 13" MBP and About this Mac still says 256MB. So either it doesn't work for 2010 MBPs or I need to tweak a setting.

Only works with the Intel 3000HD, nvidia users are out of luck for this one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.