Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
.. now Apple seems to be sitting on their laurels (besides maybe Thunderbolt).

As of today (14 Aug 2011), TBolt is still vaporware.

"Ships in 3-5 weeks" isn't being on the cutting edge - it's hyping stuff that you can't deliver.

Announcing and hyping something in February that you still haven't been able to deliver in August should be criminal.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Sadly agree, watching older keynotes in contrast with today are the clear identifiers of this. Apple seemed to enjoy being the first to be on a tech wagon, be it Wi-Fi, DVD, DVD writing USB, Firewire, optical mouse technology, integrated webcams, widescreen on notebooks, etc.. now Apple seems to be sitting on their laurels (besides maybe Thunderbolt). Hell, they've even completely ignored technology like Blu Ray and USB3.0.

Yeah, I agree. That's because Apple has decided that's not where the money is. There's no money in being first, in making super-powerful hardware for only 5% of the total market share. Apple hardware is the same as everyone else's so they know they can't get away with charging TOO much more than all the competitors.

BUT, the money's in making an MP3 player that's so popular that virtually everyone has one. And then taking a cut of all the music you buy to put on it. The money's on making deals with studios and taking a cut every time you watch a movie or TV show. The money's in making devices so popular that everyone has one in their pocket -- and then taking a 30% cut on every single application you buy for it.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
As far as we know it's unique. Some Apple collectors will pay a lot of money for it. This is assuming Apple don't kick off as happened a few years back with an MacBook Air prototype that somehow escaped from Cupertino.

It's unique and probably the only one that escaped but it's not really a ground breaking model or something incredibly interesting like say those Intel Powerbook G4s.

I'd be surprised if it stays up myself.. but can you imagine this guy just happened to find this on Craigslist.. probably paid a couple hundred bucks and is sitting on an auction that will possibly $8000?

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
As of today (14 Aug 2011), TBolt is still vaporware.

"Ships in 3-5 weeks" isn't being on the cutting edge - it's hyping stuff that you can't deliver.

Announcing and hyping something in February that you still haven't been able to deliver in August should be criminal.

Agreed for the most part, though when you're first you kind of have to expect a slow start with peripherals, it was sort of the same deal with USB and Firewire.. though firewire did have plenty of cameras and other equipment.

notjustjay, it doesn't have to be super powerful hardware. Many of their best designs and innovations were put into consumer computers like the iMac. We're pretty much in agreement though, Apple has clearly shifted from innovating computers, "bicycles for the mind" to selling gadgets that are largely used for iFart applications.

evilroot

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Wow, I must admit I really didn't expect so much insanity over this listing and I almost don't want to post in this thread!

But I can't resist so I guess I will, heh. I'm the seller. Reading through the thread the antenna seems to be the hottest topic, mostly how "ugly" it is. Really in person it seems quite well designed, and not out of place with the rest of Apple's look. Also after reading the post earlier about the patent application I was surprised to find that the antenna actually follows that exact description: it is attached with a magnet and snaps off! Here are a few more pictures:

IMG_20110814_232635.jpg

IMG_20110814_232717.jpg

Honestly I think most of this stuff about the antenna looking bad is due to the angle I took the picture at. It looks rather huge. In reality it is quite tiny, it only protrudes about 2" from the display when extended and is maybe a millimeter or two thick.

A few more pictures:

IMG_20110814_232738.jpg

IMG_20110814_232807.jpg

IMG_20110814_232826.jpg

I'll answer questions if anybody has them, just please don't go too crazy. Tomorrow it goes into a safe deposit box and likely stays there until the auction is over.

Last edited by a moderator:

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Wow, the seller.. awesome!

Are you shocked at the total so far? When you started the listing what did you expect (or have a ballpark) that it would go for? Are you worried it might get knocked off by Apple?

Did you ask the CL guy if he has any more Apple stuff :eek:

Also, do you mind telling us how much you paid for it?

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
In reality it is quite tiny, it only protrudes about 2" from the display when extended and is maybe a millimeter or two thick.

And there I think we have our problem, ladies and gentlemen. Comments on the forums are never based in reality :).

Awesome extra pics Mr Seller, does look identical to my '08 machine open from the front, that antenna is so damn well concealed, and as I said earlier in the thread, looks like it is so well integrated into the design ... like magic!

evilroot

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Are you shocked at the total so far? When you started the listing what did you expect (or have a ballpark) that it would go for?

I'm completely shocked, like blown away. I certainly thought it was unique and interesting but I never expected anything like this . . . . its like I can't look at a news site without seeing it on the front page. I posted it at 11:30pm and when I got up the next morning my phone was ringing with calls about it from friends who I'd shown it to. And my Photobucket account had been suspended for excessive bandwidth (I had to upgrade to Pro to get the pictures back up!) Rather surreal.

Honestly I'd expected it would bring maybe $1k or so as a unique collectible piece, because searches on eBay showed that people really like rare Apple stuff. Apparently they like it more than I thought.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Evilroot: Have you tried inserting a SIM card into it? Best of luck to you on your sale.

Just be prepared if any of those "bidders" will be scammers or fake accounts. Especially since this is getting more and more public attention.

evilroot

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Raleigh, NC
As I said in the listing I did try inserting a SIM card (several actually, first T-Mobile from my own phone and then AT&T from an iPhone). The OS lists a whole slew of configuration options for the cellular modem, and despite playing with settings for a long time I couldn't get it to connect. But then I know almost nothing about cell network settings.

Maybe there was a special driver that made it "just work" and its not included in the retail version of OS X. Or maybe it was just being messed with by Apple and never actually worked. There's just no way for me to know, short of finding someone who actually worked on it and knows the details. My personal guess is that the issue was in dealing with AT&T . . . . their network all but collapsed under the weight of iPhone data usage in a lot of areas, can you imagine the kind of bandwidth something like this would have used?

Perhaps someone with more software experience than me could get it running, I'm strictly a hardware guy. I'd love nothing more than to see it operational!

TheWhiteBox

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
California
Update: "ANT" referenced in the Dyanstream ANT2USB is a low power 2.4GHz wireless protocol closer to Bluetooth than to 3G data, though that doesn't explain away the presence of a SIM slot and large antenna.

It appears that ANT is what Nike+ uses to communicate. Perhaps this was some sort of development kit/prototype for Nike+ and/or iPhone?

Still doesn't explain the SIM card and big antenna though.

Where is the cellular radio on this? Is the radio on the same board as the SIM connector? I don't think it is. Does Dynastream even make GSM/UMTS radios? Their site appears to be broken right now but google comes up with very little.

Hmm...

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
As I scrolled through my RSS feed, I see this tubular protrusion appearing in the picture on my screen. As I scroll more, it begins to look familiar. I vote we call this the "Dildo Mac". Surprised me when I had scrolled down more and saw it attached to an Apple computer. But, then again, not the first time there's been a sex toy targeted at Mac / iPod users.

Ahh... Now see the front view. Much too thin... But, wow, first shot of the machine in the post looked quite poor in taste.

Chiller3333

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
I'm one of the few people who really likes the antenna.
I would like to have a MacBook Pro like this. It looks awesome.
The flair of an old MacBook Pro is totally different then the on from the Unibody MacBooks.
But for me it's too expensive and I do not live in the USA....
Never the less it would be cool having this machine running Lion (with QWERTZ instead of QWERTY of course :p).

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I'm one of the few people who really likes the antenna.
I would like to have a MacBook Pro like this. It looks awesome.
The flair of an old MacBook Pro is totally different then the on from the Unibody MacBooks.
But for me it's too expensive and I do not live in the USA....
Never the less it would be cool having this machine running Lion (with QWERTZ instead of QWERTY of course :p).

Except that the 3G doesn't work on this prototype!

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
I'd rather just jailbreak my iPhone and tether it with my laptop than spend the extra money on a plan/hardware option. It's not like the plans will be unlimited data. Apple would rather have you buy an iPhone with the tether plan.

I have two SIM cards for the same contract. One is in an Android phone and the second is in a 3G enabled netbook. I can freely share my 5 GB of data each month between the two cards. This does not cost a single cent more per month. I only had to pay a little one time fee to get the second SIM (20 € or something).

But I see, it is not in the USA so it doesn't matter for Apple....

Christian

Tanguyvd

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
luckily this antenna never made it to the iPhone :D

and look at the price it's going, let the trolls start whining again about Apple being expencive :rolleyes:

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Sadly agree, watching older keynotes in contrast with today are the clear identifiers of this. Apple seemed to enjoy being the first to be on a tech wagon, be it Wi-Fi, DVD, DVD writing USB, Firewire, optical mouse technology, integrated webcams, widescreen on notebooks, etc.. now Apple seems to be sitting on their laurels (besides maybe Thunderbolt). Hell, they've even completely ignored technology like Blu Ray and USB3.0.

Maybe it has to do with the Intel transition, when a processor was swapped over to a new generation Apple felt pressured to release new hardware (ie G3 to G4, to G5).. now that the processor really isn't in the model name they might feel less pressured.

They're just going a different way. It's not about staying current.
Got an iPhone? Tether it in one of three ways. Got an android phone? Ditto. Single data contract. As ever, Apple have decided how they're going to do this; it's not about staying current/falling behind, it's about making decisions rather than throwing in the kitchen sink.

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
Evilroot:

good luck with the sale. You found a real gem there. I wonder if you will get any communication from Apple wanting it back? I think they may have enough money in their reserve to make you a good offer!

good luck mate. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.