Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Wow, that looks cool, and explains why the models from around that time had the grey rubbery coverup bits in exactly that spot - I thought that my '08 one did as well but I guess they abandoned any idea of it by then ... hmmm, '07, iPhone launch as well, perhaps they were going to be going with AT&T for laptop 3G but decided to give you all a break :D?

Definitely really well worked into the design though, a shame that design itself now looks so dated what with unibodiness.

Anthony La

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Wow, that looks cool, and explains why the models from around that time had the grey rubbery coverup bits in exactly that spot
Nope. That design stems all the way from the PowerBook G4 - they've always served as the AirPort and Bluetooth antennas, because metal typically blocks reception.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
In before people who don't read say it's ugly

This is a prototype from 2007, before 3g was in like...any laptops

Edit: I lost, first post is just that

You have that right. This is an old prototype. I think the project name was "Marksman." My guess is someone moved out of Cupertino and this ended up at a garage sale. Red is typical of pre-production boards for Apple and many other outfits. Sometimes the traffic light scheme is used here for board colors. Red -- stop, does not go outside company Yellow / Blue -- limited distribution, Green -- ships as product.

silusesMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
man how has technology evolved since 2007, i still remember having those antennas on phones and now its all internal

Raineer

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
In before people who don't read say it's ugly

This is a prototype from 2007, before 3g was in like...any laptops

Edit: I lost, first post is just that

I read the whole article, and it's still ugly as sin even for 2007. That thing isn't worth having integrated 3G, sorry.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
man how has technology evolved since 2007, i still remember having those antennas on phones and now its all internal

That's got less to do with antenna technology and more with the abundance of mobile network base stations these days, so an internal antenna will suffice. In the early days of mobile phones there were a lot less base stations so it was necessary to be able to connect to one further away.

Of course antenna technology has improved a bit but an antenna that sticks out so it has a full unobstructed 360 degree view of the world will always work better.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
$5,600 with 4 days left? It's a cool prototype but it's not that cool. It's not like it's a historic model or sometthing.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
$5,600 with 4 days left? It's a cool prototype but it's not that cool. It's not like it's a historic model or sometthing.

As far as we know it's unique. Some Apple collectors will pay a lot of money for it. This is assuming Apple don't kick off as happened a few years back with an MacBook Air prototype that somehow escaped from Cupertino.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Imagine if Apple did release this back then. AT&T could barely handle the millions of iPhones back then. Imagine adding a million Macbook Pros to that list.

Guess America's 3G cellular data network just wasn't mature enough yet.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Nope. That design stems all the way from the PowerBook G4 - they've always served as the AirPort and Bluetooth antennas, because metal typically blocks reception.

Aha it was the late model PBG4s that had the extra rubber around that exact spot, which was dropped for the MacBook Pros, that was where I was remembering it from - in fact there were reports associated with those extra rubber areas of extra, and seemingly unnecessary, screws coming out ... perhaps because there was no antenna there to screw in :D.

Pablo90

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Well if you look at this image, you can see that the "hardware" is listed under "network" and not "bluetooth", and it has settings for IPv4 and 5.... Meaning it shouldn't be nothing like bluetooth...

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Very strange technology. ANT seems to be a low-range, low power wireless network that is/was used in things like heart beat sensors and watches for Sport, or other close communication devices that require little data. This wouldn't require a SIM and wouldn't be able to connect to GSM networks (it uses the ISM band - Industrial, Scientific & Medical).

Perhaps the ISM band has similar qualities to GSM, and Apple were still in very early testing stages, trying to get the technology to work in close range first. I don't know, the whole setup is bizarre. It's not like Apple (even 4 years ago) to design something like this - they go for aesthetics.

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK

You had a phone with an external antenna in 2007?:eek:
Was it a satellite / World phone or were you simply too emotionally attached to your 90s phone?

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Imagine the iPad 3G with that antenna. :D

Sans the antenna, I sort of miss that older Powerbook/Macbook Pro design. The unibodies are cool looking too, but the older way looks more professional I think.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Imagine the iPad 3G with that antenna. :D

Sans the antenna, I sort of miss that older Powerbook/Macbook Pro design. The unibodies are cool looking too, but the older way looks more professional I think.

The old way is still used in a lot of advertising with 'generic computers', unbranded and all, at least here. There is something about the look, but when you get down to it and see all the angles, the holes for the mechanical latch, the ugly plastic rim around the whole body ... unibody wins IMO. Side view is nice as well though, with fullsize DVI port :D!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Guess America's 3G cellular data network just wasn't mature enough yet.

You mean AT&T's network wasn't mature enough in early 2007. Don't imply that America was as hopelessly immature as AT&T.

I bought a Dell with a Verizon EVDO internal card in June 2006, and it worked fine.

In fact, it often worked better than the WiFi at conferences - the WiFi would be hammered to death, but 3G was fine and fast. (Of course, Moscone, LVCC and other major conference centers are full of Verizon micro-cells....)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
For some reason that picture looks familiar to me, I can't recall where I saw it though...

EraqEE

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
That's why it's called a prototype. Apple wants to see what works best, then improve the design afterwards.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I call BS personally, to me, that doesn't look apple to me, an antenna you slide out isn't do it for me.
I see a few things wrong with it:
it slides out, there's a few things with that
You could break it off
It's another moving part, they could wear easily.
I see apple making the antenna built in so it stays smooth case and all.

My brain broke after reading this, and then it rebooted.

Washuu

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Tyco written on the antenna is for Tyco Electronics division. Entirely possible this was a prototype sent out for testing.

dampfdruck

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Bottom line is: It's 2011 now and we still don't have a MacBook with a built-in HSPA or LTE modem.

It sucks having to plug in external USB dongles while users of other laptops (e.g. Lenovo) just slide in the SIM card and can work.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Bottom line is: It's 2011 now and we still don't have a MacBook with a built-in HSPA or LTE modem.

Apple Computer Inc used to pride itself on staying current or even being on the leading edge of technology.

Apple Inc just doesn't care.

It sucks having to plug in external USB dongles while users of other laptops (e.g. Lenovo) just slide in the SIM card and can work.

Especially amusing considering the number of posts on the 3G proto thread that simply say "it's ugly".

And on my XT2 with EVDO-A I don't even have to futz with a SIM card. Just open the display and go! ...and go fast!

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Apple Computer Inc used to pride itself on staying current or even being on the leading edge of technology.

Apple Inc just doesn't care.

Especially amusing considering the number of posts on the 3G proto thread that simply say "it's ugly".

And on my XT2 with EVDO-A I don't even have to futz with a SIM card. Just open the display and go! ...and go fast!

Sadly agree, watching older keynotes in contrast with today are the clear identifiers of this. Apple seemed to enjoy being the first to be on a tech wagon, be it Wi-Fi, DVD, DVD writing USB, Firewire, optical mouse technology, integrated webcams, widescreen on notebooks, etc.. now Apple seems to be sitting on their laurels (besides maybe Thunderbolt). Hell, they've even completely ignored technology like Blu Ray and USB3.0.

Maybe it has to do with the Intel transition, when a processor was swapped over to a new generation Apple felt pressured to release new hardware (ie G3 to G4, to G5).. now that the processor really isn't in the model name they might feel less pressured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.