Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

bat3.jpg

Early iPhone 5 parts seem to be making their way into the supply chain. Earlier this evening, we reported that some more iPhone 5 parts had shown up at one particular retailer, including the iPhone 5 battery. While we felt the parts were likely legit, we had no specific confirmation.

In the meanwhile, however, UK repair shop iPatchiPods has passed along a few photos of an iPhone 5 battery part they had received from their contacts. The photos show the same battery as previously posted. This battery, however, is labeled "DVT_B3", marking it as a late development prototype.

The progression of Apple's product development goes through several distinct phases. Following the development phases, products go into EVT (Engineering Verification Testing) and then DVT (Device Verification Testing) stages before they reach the production stage. Of course, we're not sure how old the battery shown in the photo is, so the iPhone 5 very well could be in the final production stage.

The part images come from someone who has supplied iPatchiPods with legitimate Apple parts ahead of previous launches.

bat12.jpg

The specs of the part are identical to the previously described part with approximately the same power delivery as the iPhone 4 battery. We are working to get more images and accurate comparison dimensions of the parts.

Article Link: Photos of a Prototype (DVT) iPhone 5 Battery

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
We need a picture from the sides to see if its thickness decreases as it goes down in correlation with those iPhone 5 mockups that goes thinner near home button..

----------

Wishful thinking, I hope this baby has more battery juice. Crossing my fingers!

The rumor below this one says it is the same mAh, so probably no :(

Shelds

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
It's a battery people, big deal.

I think the point is the DVT status of the device. Sure everyone can speculate that its bound to come soon but seeing something like this just provides a more accurate timeline of where we are in production process..

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I was also hoping for a bigger battery. Maybe the new processor will use less power so we still get a longer lasting battery.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The A5 processor is still 45nm like the A4. Unless they're switching to 32nm I think it will be unlikely. Beside I thought that 32nm ARM processors were planned for 2012.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Okey, I'm sold.. I'm buying iPhone 5! :D

Wait till you see the sexy mic and the kinky loudspeaker too.. You will loose your sleep!

Nice battery btw…. These things become scarelly smaller and thinner… Technology has gone a long way the last years!! I still lament the days that you needed to hire a track to carry your new cellphone battery! You were always facing the biggest problem when you tried to put it through your house door..

2610953938_e592c7b561.jpg

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The specs of the part are identical to the previously described part with approximately the same power delivery as the iPhone 4 battery. We are working to get more images and accurate comparison dimensions of the parts.

Why make 2 different rumour stories about the exact same thing?

If you have new information to a rumour you edit the rumour and add in the new information on the existing rumour. You shouldn't make a new rumour for practically the same thing.

alfm

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
The New Battery is Lion compatible! It says so (lion) it!!111!!
New iphone is to run OSX?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

so the iPhone 5 still needs a battery to work? i didnt expect that from apple innovations. im dissapointed

Apple_OD

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Not an iPhone 5 Battery

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but that is just an iPhone 4 battery with DVT markings

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Sorry to burst your bubble guys but that is just an iPhone 4 battery with DVT markings

Right, except for the fact that it's not.

The claimed iPhone 5 battery is of roughly the same shape of the existing iPhone 4 battery. The labeled specifications on the iPhone 5 part shows 3.7V and 5.3Whr while the iPhone 4 part shows 3.7V and 5.25Whr, showing roughly the same power.

The new part also has a plausible part number of 616-0580 as compared to the iPhone 4's 616-0513 and 616-0521 part numbers. The connector on the new battery is rotated in comparison to the iPhone 4 part.

Apple goes up in part numbers not down and the battery has increased just a tiny bit.

Is this the battery that will ship in the iPhone 5.... maybe and maybe not.

Is this an iPhone 4 battery... no.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Did anyone bother to look at the pic that the iPhone 5 battery is .05 Whr's more than the iPhone 4's?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.