Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
One of the things in Lion that annoys me a bit (although it can be useful at times) is how files will automatically move/organize themselves when placed somewhere. For example, say I download a picture and want to put it on my desktop. Before, it would stay right where I put it, and I could manually use "Arrange By" when I was ready to. Now, when I put the picture on the desktop, it will automatically put itself alphabetically already in order on the right hand side. Is there a way to disable this?

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for the help, but is there an option for a per file basis? For example, I still want the items I have on my desktop to be sorted by name as the default, but when I put a new file on the desktop, I don't want it to fly over there and automatically arrange itself.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Not that I'm aware of, but I'm not aware of a lot of things ;)

You could limit the behavior within separate folders on the desktop, and then move/download things accordingly, but that seems like a hassle.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Yeah that's what I don't get. It never did this in Snow Leopard. Like my hard drives would be mounted on the desktop in the right hand corner, I could drag something onto the desktop and it would stay there. Then, when I wanted to, I would just hit "Arrange by Name" and THEN it would organize itself. Weird. :(

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Why don't you just right-click on the Desktop and select "Clean Up by". It'll sort the files once, but any icons added later won't be affected by the sort order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.