Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
I didn't realise this when I bought it.

No major probs, but can anyone tell me if I can buy a cable or adapter of something so I can charge straight from the mains in the uk?

I'm not too bothered about a dock, but I'd like to be able to charge when awayfrom home. I know the battery pack would take care of this, but a cably/adapter would be better for me.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Presumably you're talking about the iPod mini, right? ;)

iPods don't include docks any more (you can buy them separately) but you don't need them. I don't have a dock for my iPod 4G. Doesn't it come with a power brick which you can plug your FireWire (or USB2) cable into to charge with? I just plug mine into my PowerBook to charge while it is sleeping but I'll be taking the power brick around the world on my travels with me while my PB stays at home.

If the iPod mini doesn't include a power brick (which would be rather tight on Apple's part, but I can't be bothered to check the tech specs page) then you must again be able to buy one separately fort his purpose.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
mikebatho said:
Is the 'power brick' the battery pack that runs on AAs or AAA s?
No, it's the charger that plugs into the mains. Here is a picture of the regular iPod charger (presumably iPod mini one would be the same).

The Firewire cable plugs into the end, and then you plug it into the mains. Of course, iPod mini no longer contains a Firewire cable either (just USB 2) - tsk.. Apple cost cutting again...

Attachments

• IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 139

Applespider

macrumors G4
johnnyjibbs said:
The Firewire cable plugs into the end, and then you plug it into the mains. Of course, iPod mini no longer contains a Firewire cable either (just USB 2) - tsk.. Apple cost cutting again...

The new power charger connects to a USB cable rather than a Firewire one so thankfully not requiring yet another cable purchase!

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
That is the one you use in the UK. It comes in 2 parts - a brick that the USB cable connects to and then an adaptor that fits on at right angles to go into the plug socket. The one in the photo on the Apple website has a US plug but if you buy it here it will have a UK plug. Go into the Apple Store and ask :)
Just noticed you're in Manchester - not so easy to go to Regent St :). Try here if you want to pick it up in person.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Doh!!!!!

I've just looked up the adaptor from the microanvika site, the one for £14.99, and it' sfor firewire. Thi mini I have came only with a USB cable.

I suppose htis means I have to order a bloody cable as well now??

******uckin*******ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
So buy the £20 one from the Apple Store online. Do you have an iTunes account? If so then it will be charged to the same account. Just sign in and use the same password. 2 or 3 days for delivery. Couldn't find a USB charger on looking quickly so that seems the best way. Hope that helps.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
johnnyjibbs said:
Presumably you're talking about the iPod mini, right? ;) QUOTE]

I thought when I saw the title, "Just drag your mouse down to the bottom of the screen...."

:eek: Wrong Mini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.