Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Catastrophe.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Wales
I have Windows 7 as a virtual machine on my iMac using VMware Fusion. The whole reason I wanted VMware was to use Mac OS X and Windows 7 at the same time. But when I have Windows 7 running Mac OS X goes slow >.> Windows 7 is running like a dream but I find it hard to multi-task between both operation systems as Mac OS X is laggy. Is this just something I have to live with? or can I speed it up?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Also many CPUs did you give vmware. Giving 2 cpus from a dual core system will have a negative impact on OSX's performance

Catastrophe.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Wales
oops, sorry.

ScreenShot2011-08-21at174302.png

ScreenShot2011-08-21at174319.png

phooi

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Hi All,

I want to add that I am having the same problem. I have a 2010 mbp i7-2.66 w/4GB RAM and 500GB HD running Lion 10.7.1 and Win7 Pro in VM. Fusion settings are 1 core/1024 mb RAM.

When VMware Fusion is running, my Lion apps are VERY slow. I have encountered slow scrolling in Safari, longer load times, and general laggy UI behavior.

What can I do to improve Lion performance while running Fusion?

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
For both of you, my guess is that it is actually W7 that is starved of RAM. For your iMacs, RAM is cheap and easy to add. You should be able to add 4GB of RAM for ~$35 without removing the stock RAM.

Then give W7 2 GB or more to play with.

In my experience W7 64 bit hits the sweet spot for performance at 2 GB and 64 bit prefers 4 GB in a VM.

B

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I run Windows 7 using Parallels on my MBA (i7) and give it 1GB of RAM and 2 CPUs. Now granted I don't really push it to the limit, all I run is MS Office, Quicken, and a couple of other Windows apps, but the performance in both Windows and Lion is fantastic. I am running Windows 32 bit. I saw no advantage in running 64bit Windows with my RAM (4GB max on my system) and not having any apps that needed it or benefited from it, I decided not to run it. I have Win7 64 bit on my desktop PC and even MS Office 2010 has some quirks running on Windows 64 bit that I ended up running the 32 bit version of Office. Runs a lot better. I only have one program that actually takes advantage of the 64 bit Windows (Panorama Factory), but other than that I haven't really seen much benefit. There are apps that take advantage of it, but I don't seem to be running any of them... :D

Bunker

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
The biggest problem is not really RAM although 8GB of RAM will be nice.

It's the hard disk.

You are running Mac OS X, VMWare Fusion with Windows from same hard disk. Coupling with 4GB RAM that triggers heavy swap to disk, your hard disk is basically stressed out slowing down your Mac.

My Macbook Pro with 4GB and 2.53Ghz C2D was a crawl when running both OS'es. Upgraded to 8GB helped reduced the swapping but still slows down the MBP.

Only noticeable improvement came when I upgraded to dual HDD in my MBP, moving the virtual machine to the 2nd hard disk, eliminating contention with Mac OS X.

My MBP has no hiccup or heavy beach ball now when running both OS'es.

Raider33

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
I was having the same issues, and came looking for an answer...and I may have figured out one solution on the way over:p

I have a 2010 Mid Summer I7 macbook pro, and had been running windows 7 in fusion with zero problems since last fall. I upgraded to lion when it came out, and like you...everything began to crawl...I hadn't thought much about until this afternoon because I only use windows for a few programs for school, and I was trying to use it today for the first time this fall.

Anyways, check to see if you have auto graphics switching checked in energy saver under your system preferences...as soon as I unchecked it things started to speed back up in about 10 seconds, and now it seems to be acting as it should! :) It's not a perfect fix, but it may help speed things back up for you! (RAM is dirt cheap too now, and might be another solution)

wlasikiewicz

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
UK
Downgrade to Windows Vista or XP, i have an Intel iMac running windows XP and i dont get any loss of performance.

phooi

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
I was having the same issues, and came looking for an answer...and I may have figured out one solution on the way over:p

I have a 2010 Mid Summer I7 macbook pro, and had been running windows 7 in fusion with zero problems since last fall. I upgraded to lion when it came out, and like you...everything began to crawl...I hadn't thought much about until this afternoon because I only use windows for a few programs for school, and I was trying to use it today for the first time this fall.

Anyways, check to see if you have auto graphics switching checked in energy saver under your system preferences...as soon as I unchecked it things started to speed back up in about 10 seconds, and now it seems to be acting as it should! :) It's not a perfect fix, but it may help speed things back up for you! (RAM is dirt cheap too now, and might be another solution)

Thanks! I'll give this a try. Now one question -- doesn't this reduce the battery life if you are running the faster GPU?

realchimera

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
The biggest problem is not really RAM although 8GB of RAM will be nice.

It's the hard disk.

You are running Mac OS X, VMWare Fusion with Windows from same hard disk. Coupling with 4GB RAM that triggers heavy swap to disk, your hard disk is basically stressed out slowing down your Mac.

My Macbook Pro with 4GB and 2.53Ghz C2D was a crawl when running both OS'es. Upgraded to 8GB helped reduced the swapping but still slows down the MBP.

Only noticeable improvement came when I upgraded to dual HDD in my MBP, moving the virtual machine to the 2nd hard disk, eliminating contention with Mac OS X.

My MBP has no hiccup or heavy beach ball now when running both OS'es.

What you mean upgrade your MBP to dual HD? You can install two HD in MBP?

----------

This may not be a good idea. I tried to uncheck that option. But the CPU temperature overshot 80 degree C for the first time on my Mac when I opened photoshop and Fusion at the same time.

renatosc

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
I had the same problem and solved it with more RAM

Hi.

I just bought a Mac Pro 13inch (mid-2012) and was also facing that problem of my mac becoming too slow when running vmware fusion.

After investigating I found that my problem was lack of RAM. My mac came with only 4gb RAM and only my OSX and programs were consuming 3gb. The 1gb left was not enough to run win7 64bits in the VMWare.

So I bought 2 x 8gb (total = 16bg) at amazon and my problem is solved. With 16gb RAM I am running the win7 64bits in the vm pretty well. (I separated 2-cpu and 8gb for OS x and 2-cpu and 8gb to the Win7).

So, if you are facing that problem of a slow machine, I suggest you to look at your activity monitor (Finder->Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor) when you are running the vmware and see if you are without enough RAM

omraged

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
So I bought 2 x 8gb (total = 16bg) at amazon and my problem is solved. With 16gb RAM I am running the win7 64bits in the vm pretty well. (I separated 2-cpu and 8gb for OS x and 2-cpu and 8gb to the Win7).

@renatosc,
thank you. I have the same hardware and I suspected the ram was being over taxed and you've confirmed it. I appreciate your post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.