Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

flash_player_3d_icon.jpg

Adobe today announced the upcoming launch of Flash Player 11 and AIR 3, promising "console-quality 2D and 3D games" delivered over the Internet to a full range of computers, mobile devices, and other connected appliances.
Dozens of new features in Flash Player 11 and AIR 3 allow developers to deliver a new class of gaming and premium video experiences, as well as sophisticated, data-driven applications with back-end systems integration across devices, including the iPhone and iPad via AIR. AIR native extensions add support for unique device features and native code libraries, empowering developers to freely choose the right mix of Flash, HTML5 and native code to provide powerful user experiences across PCs and devices.
AIR 3 is also bringing improvements to video streaming, offering the ability to stream full frame rate HD video within AIR applications for iOS via H.264 encoding.

Hardware-accelerated rendering of 2D and 3D graphics is said to see a 1,000-fold increase in performance over Flash Player 10.2 and AIR 2, offering animation of millions of objects at 60 frames per second for smooth video performance on computers and connected televisions, with support for mobile devices currently in a pre-release state. Other improvements include new support for content protection, rentals and subscriptions, as well as support for thousands of AIR native extensions to allow developers to increase the functionality of their software.

Public release versions of Flash Player 11 and AIR 3 will debut early next month.

Article Link: Adobe Targets 3D Gaming with Flash Player 11 and AIR 3

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Every time I say to myself, OK now Flash is irrelevant, they come out with a new feature or set that makes them relevant again. It's still endlessly buggy on Macs. ;)

majortom1981

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
Every time I say to myself, OK now Flash is irrelevant, they come out with a new feature or set that makes them relevant again. It's still endlessly buggy on Macs. ;)

With Microsoft now on board with the try to use html 5 and not plug ins its just a matter of time when flash is not needed at all.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Of course, one step at a time. However this also means yet another step in leaving all kinds of console and portable browsers behind because they won't get this. I'm not talking iOS, but of all the other stuff by nintendo, Sony, that support flash at get go, and then all of a sudden they see no updates to their flash software in ever. So I would guess maybe 1 OS or so will see something like this, if it is not a full fledged computer/laptop.

----------

Of course, one step at a time. However this also means yet another step in leaving all kinds of console and portable browsers behind because they won't get this. I'm not talking iOS, but of all the other stuff by nintendo, Sony, that support flash at get go, and then all of a sudden they see no updates to their flash software in ever. So I would guess maybe 1 OS or so will see something like this, if it is not a full fledged computer/laptop.

And since most androids are touch-based, this may mean very little, for a ling time. Unless Flash updates their I/O.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Hope so, there is no reason why it shouldn't be an option for us consumers.

Consumers do have the option, they can buy Android. It’s no different to a physical keyboard or removable battery, if those features are critical to a consumer then the iPhone is not the best mobile device choice.

It’s like saying I really need a four wheel drive, hybrid electric SUV. I see no reason why Ferrari should offer those options on their F450. They don’t and have no moral, legal, ethical or financial responsibility to do so.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
With Microsoft now on board with the try to use html 5 and not plug ins its just a matter of time when flash is not needed at all.

I couldn't agree more, but in this case I was speaking mostly about Air3. I use Air for highly customized applications for easy distribution. I should have been more specific since there were 2 products named in the article.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

Hasn't Adobe buried that bloated zombie yet? Who the hell cares about Flash these days?

Adobe's eternal promises for 1000x "better" performance over whatever last version of its crappy software means nothing to any reasonable consumer, and even less to Mac users in general.

Once more, bury that rotten corpse and let us move on, please...

Flash IS DEAD.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
I bet this heats up my mac so much that it burns a hole in my coffee table.

And cuts battery life down to 10 minutes.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
This looks interesting i guess, but the real question is have they included more efficient garbage collection. I'm kinda tired of flash objects taking up huge amounts of RAM.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Never ending Flash?

Now, AIR 3 basically seems to be the transition vehicle for Adobe. Flash is not dead but certainly not growing either. I see the future in HTML5 and even Adobe tries to make that transition. But if you think it is only Adobe who sticks to Flash, you forget all these programmers who are very successful with Flash applications and that is why there has to be a transition the developers will go as well. Just saying "It is dead." does not help. Look at Microsoft and Windows XP which still runs on more than 50% of all Wintels. They try to push that WinXP is a ship with a lot of leeks and tell they cannot plug all holes but companies are reluctant to change. Adobe is better off changing towards HTML5 slowly to avoid that programmers stick to older versions and get at one point incompatible with current systems.

To be honest, I would rather see Apple and Adobe working together on this issue and Apple offering a "Safari w/ Flash" so if you want to see flash content, you know it's gonna suck your battery dry but it works. I don't like to not have a choice at all. My 2 iPads were $830 each and I think that making the choice for me is ridiculous.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
End of video: "Learn more at www.adobe.com/gaming"

404 Error. That doesn't bode well for their attention to detail with the rest of the platform. I suspect it will still be as buggy and slow as the Flash/Air platforms have always been.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Does this mean we finally get flash on iOS?

You can get Flash today on you iOS device. All the developer has to do is to use Adobe's iOS packager and then submit the app to the iOS App Store. Machnarium is an example of a Flash app the developers posted a couple of weeks ago. It enjoyed several days as the #1 paid iPad app in the iOS app store! Adobe's packager was released several months ago.

Flash developers can use the same software to package for Android or RIM. I have no idea why more of them don't distribute their apps that way.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Interdasting... I wonder what prompted Adobe to start this heavy mobile/internet development.

I bet it's the fact that Microsoft is wanting to drop support for all plugins with the next version of IE. If they can convince more web developers to use Flash, then they'll have users complaining to Microsoft that things don't work after updating IE, and Microsoft will have to go back on their stance. If IE ships denying Flash functionality, it will be either the end of Flash or the end of IE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.