Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivortitus

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
have a little patience

hello guys,
i just did this method after trying countless of times and it works for both my iPhone and iPad 2. for mac users, go turn on your firewall, restart iTunes, and try again. still work the 1st time round! if it doesn't, have a little patience, give it a couple more tries!

just trying to help!

cheers
ivor

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
My phone is taking forever to restore. I'll not be stressing out the server for a while.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
My iPad 2 did the same thing; I closed iTunes and opened it back up and retried and it went through on the first attempt.

Deadpulse

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Is anyone else getting this error:

"The iPhone "Iphone" cannot be restored at this
time because the iPhone software update server could
not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable."

Ios 5 is downloaded, it just happens after the phone backups and starts to extract the software...

Any fixes?

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
a "fix" (really) for the endless loop...

I tried multiple times to get my iPhone 4 to update after successfully getting my iPad there. The phone is now on an infinite loop of apple logo/apple with status bar empty/spinning wheel.

And iTunes won't recognize it anymore.

Any ideas, forum?

Just got off the phone with AppleCare. Servers are slammed, and they said to try in about 2 hours (10:30pm EST).

While I was on hold, I came across this, which worked (at least to stop the endless loop). I am now attempting to restore, but am getting the various error messages (which will clear up once the frenzy subsides). THANKS to NDRisk who posted this on the Apple support forums...

"I happened to find that similar advice right before your post. I believe it's called DFU mode. It has taken my phone out of the loop it was stuck in, but I still can't restore it. For the record, what I had to do was plug the phone into my computer, hold both the lock and home buttons for ten seconds, then release the lock button and continue holding the home button until itunes prompted me with "itunes has detected a device in recovery mode" (or something like that). Now I'm getting both the 3200 and 1638 errors alternatively, which I'm assuming is due to the issues of connecting to apple's overloaded servers."

OH, and by the way, I just got the notification that it worked!
Good luck to all. Peace.

Agentmckay

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Iowa
Is anyone else getting this error:

"The iPhone "Iphone" cannot be restored at this
time because the iPhone software update server could
not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable."

Ios 5 is downloaded, it just happens after the phone backups and starts to extract the software...

Any fixes?

I received the same error and just kept trying until it worked, took about 3-4 more tries then worked fine. A lot of people all trying at the same time. I'd like to update to Lion but will wait a couple of days for the tidal wave of upgraders to roll back.

figgface

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
That's it. iPad 2 done as well. I'm off to the land of nod!
Still keep patient guys. It's working!!!

Wegmans

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Hello all,

I'm getting a similar error, but it says my phone is not eligible for the requested build. This is a replacement iPhone4 from Apple, just two months old. Updated iTunes, downloaded update, and have received this error after all three of my attempts tonight.

Can anyone offer any insight into this issue? I'm concerned because it's just slightly different than what you all seem to be encountering, which is more about my device than the Apple update servers.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Wegmans

JJWannabe

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Patience and a little elbow grease

I tried multiple times to get my iPhone 4 to update after successfully getting my iPad there. The phone is now on an infinite loop of apple logo/apple with status bar empty/spinning wheel.

And iTunes won't recognize it anymore.

Any ideas, forum?

1. Turn off the phone (Press and hold power button, then home button until screen goes black; repeat until screen stays black)
2. While holding home button, plug into USB on mac with iTunes
3. Agree to Restore when prompted by iTunes
4. If the server issues are over, it will work (I went through this process about 10x until it finally worked)

littlespaceman

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Brilliant!

Just got off the phone with AppleCare. Servers are slammed, and they said to try in about 2 hours (10:30pm EST).

While I was on hold, I came across this, which worked (at least to stop the endless loop). I am now attempting to restore, but am getting the various error messages (which will clear up once the frenzy subsides). THANKS to NDRisk who posted this on the Apple support forums...

"I happened to find that similar advice right before your post. I believe it's called DFU mode. It has taken my phone out of the loop it was stuck in, but I still can't restore it. For the record, what I had to do was plug the phone into my computer, hold both the lock and home buttons for ten seconds, then release the lock button and continue holding the home button until itunes prompted me with "itunes has detected a device in recovery mode" (or something like that). Now I'm getting both the 3200 and 1638 errors alternatively, which I'm assuming is due to the issues of connecting to apple's overloaded servers."

OH, and by the way, I just got the notification that it worked!
Good luck to all. Peace.

Thanks so much, worked like a charm. Out of the loop and updating. Only took a day!

gteanio

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Ios 5

Mine had the same error. I followed the directions and it finally worked. I guess just be patient and it will work soon.

boosthead

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
How long does this take?

I downloaded the ipsw file and am running the update process. I'm 1 hour into what itunes says is a 4 hour process. Is this accurate?

Hazelwood

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
WTF? Finally got to Restore, now asking for password???

After all the starts and stops described throughout the day, I finally got the ipad2 to the point of restoring. It crapped out, and locked up. After a long wait it told me that the restore had failed and I needed to start it over again. Now when I go to Restore From Backup, it asks me for a Backup Password... I have NEVER entered a backup password, not once since I have owned the pad2. :mad:Ideas? Suggestions? Bourbon?

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
This may help someone. After 9 hours of seeing every error you can think of, trying it on multiple macs, etc, etc, and getting stalled out at the 3/4 bar mark immediately after authentication with Apple servers, I finally decided to re-install iTunes. I manually pointed it to the IPSW (option-click on Restore) and it sailed right through. Not a single issue or delay after that.

I'm guessing that I something got corrupted in iTunes restore process and that broke the logjam, but maybe it was just coincidence.

Worst. Update. Ever. But... onward and upward!
:rolleyes:

jclutie79

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
cant update jailbroken 4.2.10 to OS5

my iphone will not update... it is jailbroken under 4.2.10
i tried restoring by hitting the Restore Button+Shift with the 4.2.10ipsw and also the Update button to have Itunes go directly to OS5... they both result in errors.
I turned off my virus protection and fire wall.
HELP!!!

Attachments

• restore1.jpg
    restore1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 155

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
I had the same thing earlier. The update failed twice at "verifying software with Apple" so despite the "internal" part of the error message, I figured it was an issue with their servers not being able to keep up with demand. I left my phone plugged into my computer, and went to sleep.

I just woke up, so here I am upgrading to iOS 5 at 4:30am, and it's going just fine. No errors anymore. Now I have a day of iOS 5 exploration ahead.. :D

oneijose

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
Brooklyn NY
GRRRR! Same problem but Mines FINALLY went through and it said it was completE but then I couldn't open any freaking app.....:mad:

suntreenole

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
On my 10th try

On my tenth try...all this to get a bunch of features most of which were stolen from Android, which they would have stolen voice to text input as well. Hopefully Apple will do them better, but if the quality of their rollout is any indication, then it looks like ios 5 was rushed before it was ready and/or contained serious unique content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.